Ole Miss lining up $2.5 Mil for Caleb Williams NIL

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I do agree with Kiffin in that we are creating a free agency without any contract obligations. It's a very slippery slope.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Wouldn’t that create a locker room of jealousy? I guess if he took his o-line out to eat every night, it might be ok. I’m curious how that would theoretically pan out for the team culture.

It’s also stupid that people would pay that much to a kid to play for their school.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I think Eastern Michigan or somebody offered him $1mill. Charlie Batch’s company.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That was just the ante. Game is 5 card stud...table stakes. **

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's going to take OM buying one of our starters before our fans realize NIL isn't good for us.

And to be clear, I don't for one second believe this particular $2.5M rumor is rooted in any semblance of reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
It's going to take OM buying one of our starters because our fans realize NIL isn't good for us.

And to be clear, I don't for one second believe this particular $2.5M rumor is rooted in any semblance of reality.
Ole Miss has plenty of “All In” ambulance chasers, scam artist and Opioid pushing general practitioners to easily make this happen.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It's going to take OM buying one of our starters before our fans realize NIL isn't good for us.

Yuup, NIL + Transfer Portal = bad for MSU (unless we have a mega rich donor - or donors - step up). It may be several years or more before this really starts hurting, but it will be disastrous unless some guidelines are developed.

Feb 4, 2015
I see several on here knocking the NIL but I thought everyone thought it was just a “great” idea these kids make all this money but sure enough just as soon as everyone finds outs ole miss is supposedly going to poney up that kind of money that now it’s a bad idea. I never did think it was a good idea and never will.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
They can buy players whether NIL exists or not. Its the portal/no sit thats the issue

codeDawg

Nov 13, 2007
That’s stupid money.

It’s a ridiculous amount of money, but this is what schools are willing to pay to see success in their programs. I like seeing players getting compensated for the revenue they bring to schools, coaches and networks, but this format isn’t sustainable at all.

THIS is what takes all the fun out of the sport. When your ability to compete is dependent on individuals and corporations organizing to pay players directly as a form of enticement, it’s just ridiculous. Put together a system that puts the money into the schools, regulates how it’s distributed, give the kids their portion of it, and put in place rules that encourage competition without completely killing the spirit of the game.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It was a 10% discount.
Seriously.

$180k was just what was required up front for him to sign. The total package was a hell of a lot more than that. Was still a bargain though. If you knew ahead of time you were buying a Heisman trophy winner and a national title, what’s the fair market value? $10 million? $20 million? $50 million?

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login