Ole Miss preview

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
You gotta hand it to Chris Beard. He took a program that was quickly descending down the ranks of the SEC and in less than a year he has established them as a competitive team. Tuesday night should be a good battle.

Their gaudy 17-3 record is somewhat propped up by a weak non-conference slate. To their credit, they won all of them. But the wins haven't exactly aged well. While the Memphis and NC State wins got more publicity at the time, the road win over UCF is the only Quad 1 win in the non-conference and the only one they had at all until the impressive win in College Station last night. The Bears are 4-3 in the first two quads and 13-0 in quads three and four. No other SEC team has played that many games in Q3 and Q4. So yeah, the record looks good but doesn't have a whole lot of substance to it. Sounds appropriate.

The Ole Miss offense is interesting. They are a very good three point shooting team at over 38% which is top 20 in the country. But they are in the bottom third of the country in three point attempts, taking fewer than 20 attempts per game. Maybe those things are related. They take fewer threes but the ones they do take are really good looks, leading to a higher percentage of makes. Of course on the flip side you have us. We are just outside the top 100 in the country in 3 pt attempts but 291 in percentage. We could stand to scale back some of our attempts. The Bears are not a good two point shooting team (< 50%) which makes the lack of attempted threes even more confusing. We remain a top 10 team in 3 pt defense, holding teams to less than 28%. Split the middle and I'd take 6-18 or 7-21 from them right now if you gave it to me.

Ole Miss does two other things very well that we don't do. They take care of the basketball and make free throws. They aren't nationally elite in either turnover margin or FT % as in top 20, but they are in the top 50s in both. It will be a challenge for us to go into their arena and keep the turnover margin in check. We are -8 total over our last three games and have to clean that up. When you play with fewer possessions like we do, turnovers are even more costly. The free throws speak for themselves. We are down to 280th in the country (68.4%) while Ole Miss checks in at 59th, right at 75%.

I don't see any way we win this game if we don't dominate them on the glass. We are better than them in all rebounding statistics and I think if you look at the matchups we should have significant physical advantages too. But we still have to go out and do it. Destroying Auburn on the boards yesterday was an encouragement.

The bulk of their scoring comes from the group of Murrell, Flanagan, Jaylen Murray, and Brakefield. All but Flanagan are good three point shooters, and all four of them are great at the free throw line. Neither of the big men do anything other than block shots and rebound, and the other subs have simply not been threats. In that respect they remind me of Florida. We can maybe withstand one of these guys having a good game but not two or more. Those four average about 58 points per game in SEC play. Holding that group to about 45 would give us a great chance to win. Our defense vs their offense will be the key matchup to me.

The challenge for us will be scoring, shocker. We are a good two point shooting team, but that's the strength of the Ole Miss defense. Cisse and Sharp don't bring much to the table offensively, but are the leaders for a team that's in the top 5 in the country in blocked shots. Tolu will have his hands full trying to score against those two, as will any of our players trying to drive and finish at the rim. Tolu can also help by occupying whichever big man is in the game and making good passes to cutters.

Going on the road in college basketball is hard. They will have a great crowd on hand. We have to play through all of that and control what we can control. Do that and I think we will have a chance.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Both of us are coming off big wins and have one less day of prep than usual. Beard vs Jans is a wash to me, but UM is deadly from the line, and we can be atrocious. Our 3 pt shooting leaves a lot to be desired, but I believe someone else other than Josh will step up. Manage the non forced turnovers and bring the defensive intensity and we can get a good road win. But, man our free throw issue is a real worry……

Reactions: DawgatAuburn

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
You gotta hand it to Chris Beard. He took a program that was quickly descending down the ranks of the SEC and in less than a year he has established them as a competitive team. Tuesday night should be a good battle.

Their gaudy 17-3 record is somewhat propped up by a weak non-conference slate. To their credit, they won all of them. But the wins haven't exactly aged well. While the Memphis and NC State wins got more publicity at the time, the road win over UCF is the only Quad 1 win in the non-conference and the only one they had at all until the impressive win in College Station last night. The Bears are 4-3 in the first two quads and 13-0 in quads three and four. No other SEC team has played that many games in Q3 and Q4. So yeah, the record looks good but doesn't have a whole lot of substance to it. Sounds appropriate.

The Ole Miss offense is interesting. They are a very good three point shooting team at over 38% which is top 20 in the country. But they are in the bottom third of the country in three point attempts, taking fewer than 20 attempts per game. Maybe those things are related. They take fewer threes but the ones they do take are really good looks, leading to a higher percentage of makes. Of course on the flip side you have us. We are just outside the top 100 in the country in 3 pt attempts but 291 in percentage. We could stand to scale back some of our attempts. The Bears are not a good two point shooting team (< 50%) which makes the lack of attempted threes even more confusing. We remain a top 10 team in 3 pt defense, holding teams to less than 28%. Split the middle and I'd take 6-18 or 7-21 from them right now if you gave it to me.

Ole Miss does two other things very well that we don't do. They take care of the basketball and make free throws. They aren't nationally elite in either turnover margin or FT % as in top 20, but they are in the top 50s in both. It will be a challenge for us to go into their arena and keep the turnover margin in check. We are -8 total over our last three games and have to clean that up. When you play with fewer possessions like we do, turnovers are even more costly. The free throws speak for themselves. We are down to 280th in the country (68.4%) while Ole Miss checks in at 59th, right at 75%.

I don't see any way we win this game if we don't dominate them on the glass. We are better than them in all rebounding statistics and I think if you look at the matchups we should have significant physical advantages too. But we still have to go out and do it. Destroying Auburn on the boards yesterday was an encouragement.

The bulk of their scoring comes from the group of Murrell, Flanagan, Jaylen Murray, and Brakefield. All but Flanagan are good three point shooters, and all four of them are great at the free throw line. Neither of the big men do anything other than block shots and rebound, and the other subs have simply not been threats. In that respect they remind me of Florida. We can maybe withstand one of these guys having a good game but not two or more. Those four average about 58 points per game in SEC play. Holding that group to about 45 would give us a great chance to win. Our defense vs their offense will be the key matchup to me.

The challenge for us will be scoring, shocker. We are a good two point shooting team, but that's the strength of the Ole Miss defense. Cisse and Sharp don't bring much to the table offensively, but are the leaders for a team that's in the top 5 in the country in blocked shots. Tolu will have his hands full trying to score against those two, as will any of our players trying to drive and finish at the rim. Tolu can also help by occupying whichever big man is in the game and making good passes to cutters.

Going on the road in college basketball is hard. They will have a great crowd on hand. We have to play through all of that and control what we can control. Do that and I think we will have a chance.

It’s not going to be an easy one for us. We are their Super Bowl.

I’d take the Rebs by 10, and it’s not because we’re a bad basketball team. I just don’t like the matchup. We’re going to be solidly on the bubble.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019

State by 10

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Now that we have two top 10 wins under our belt, it should give this team the confidence they need to win this game. It's still going to be extremely difficult but it's possible. It will be critical to win the rebounding column and also we need to get Ole Miss in some foul trouble early.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
If we don’t win this game, I’ll label us a shitt team. Eye test, we should rock that azz….a letdown here, and we are who we are

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012

I appreciate you writing all those words, but you wasted your time. All you had to say way “We have to play hard and we’ll win.” That’s the only thing that matters.***

• Haha
Reactions: bolddogge

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I appreciate you writing all those words, but you wasted your time. All you had to say way “We have to play hard and we’ll win.” That’s the only thing that matters.***
Add: make our 17ing free throws

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Ole Miss does 2 things a lot better than we do......shoot free throws and 3 pointers. We have basically one decent reliable 3 pt shooter. They have about 3-4. Everything else is about equal. Most games in the SEC boil down to less than a 10 pt margin and usually is determined by how well the teams shoot free throws.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Auburn was huge. To be an upper tier SEC team. You have to defend home court. We've done this for the most part.

Step 2, is stealing some road games.

Again I think the magic number is 9 SEC wins for this team to be for sured a spot in the dance. Ole Miss is one of those get-able road games. Hopefully some momentum carries over.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
If Cam is 100%, MSU wins.
If Cam could shoot at least 30% from 3 pt. land and about 75% from the free throw stripe, he'd be NBA bound. He needs to go get a personal coach to teach him to shoot longer range shots. I'm pretty sure he could do it. Right now, his role doesn't really require him to shoot outside. I think he's very capable though if he worked on it.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
If Cam could shoot at least 30% from 3 pt. land and about 75% from the free throw stripe, he'd be NBA bound. He needs to go get a personal coach to teach him to shoot longer range shots. I'm pretty sure he could do it. Right now, his role doesn't really require him to shoot outside. I think he's very capable though if he worked on it.
I don't know why anyone would be "pretty sure he could do it." Cam is a career 19% shooter at State. I think we all like what he brings to the table, but people don't learn to be shooters at age 23, even with a low bar of 30% as the goal.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
I don't know why anyone would be "pretty sure he could do it." Cam is a career 19% shooter at State. I think we all like what he brings to the table, but people don't learn to be shooters at age 23, even with a low bar of 30% as the goal.
Some people think coaches are miracle workers.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
I look at it like this. We absolutely should win but thats a tough road one for the way we are playing.

For the year though....
obviously FT's suck and the fact that its a 10 year problem is nauseating
We need murphy back to add a threat
Tolu needs to finish at the rim and get some and 1's instead of always a 1 and 1
it would be great to have more than one guy able to hit a 3 in the same game.... Those guys are getting hot but rarely getting hot together, it seems.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
obviously FT's suck and the fact that its a 10 year problem is nauseating
Not quite 10 years but closing in on it. We should hang a banner for winning the SEC FT championship in 2016.

YrSEC Rank%
241468.4%
231464.7%
22972.1%
211365.8%
20475.4%
19671.7%
181169.1%
171068.7%
16172.5%

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
It’s incredibly hard to get road wins against decent teams in conference. OM big men will give State some issues trying to score in the paint. I just don’t see a W but I hope I’m wrong. To win on the road you have to make FTs and not have TO. 🤦‍♂️

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The odds are definitely against it, but I think very, very occasionally it happens. I'm drawing a blank, but who was the spurs player that played with Duncan that decided to essentially play defense and shoot corner threes and suddenly became a very solid player. Something Bowen? Not sure he was at 19% before he decided to become a specialist but I think he was a pretty mediocre shooter.

ETA: It was Bruce Bowen. He shot 28.3% from three in college at Cal State Fullerton. So not atrocious but not good. Played in France and in his first two reasonably full seasons with the celtics shot 33.0% and 26.9%, then shot 46.6%, 33.6%, the next two seasons, then went to the Spurs and the rest of his career he was mostly above 40%, or in high 30's. I think moving to the spurs is when he became the 3 & D guy, but he may have already been doing it at MIami. In 2002-2003 season, his 3Pt % was 46.6% and his FT% was 40.4%. Explain that one.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The odds are definitely against it, but I think very, very occasionally it happens. I'm drawing a blank, but who was the spurs player that played with Duncan that decided to essentially play defense and shoot corner threes and suddenly became a very solid player. Something Bowen? Not sure he was at 19% before he decided to become a specialist but I think he was a pretty mediocre shooter.

ETA: It was Bruce Bowen. He shot 28.3% from three in college at Cal State Fullerton. So not atrocious but not good. Played in France and in his first two reasonably full seasons with the celtics shot 33.0% and 26.9%, then shot 46.6%, 33.6%, the next two seasons, then went to the Spurs and the rest of his career he was mostly above 40%, or in high 30's. I think moving to the spurs is when he became the 3 & D guy, but he may have already been doing it at MIami. In 2002-2003 season, his 3Pt % was 46.6% and his FT% was 40.4%. Explain that one.
Yep. 3 and D. one of the best defenders in the league. People can carve out roles, but the route to get there is difficult. Bowen was also a 15 and 7 guy at the collegiate level.

Cam just seems like a longer than long shot to me.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If OM comes out tossing up threes that count, it's going to be a rough night. Got to D up on the perimeter early.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
We haven't won a true road game. Ole Miss hasn't lost at home. It will be a tough game.

We're not sunk if we lose, but it would be a huge win. If we lose, we probably need to win 5 of our next 7 to stay on track.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login