On the eve of the AFC championship, a reminder of Joe Burrow's Amory roots...

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Is Burrow basically the ultimate QB? He's got it in the head, he's stupid accurate (which is the most important thing), he's big enough to be durable, and he can run just fast enough to be dangerous but not always risking injury. He also seems to have the demeanor. He also got the proper 'training' as Bartoo says, as it's obvious he elevated LSU's average play while he was there. While yes LSU is an elite recruiter, it's pretty obvious they weren't as talented as their peers, and Burrow pushed them over the edge, along with an incredible staff.

Last edited:

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
Can’t help but connect this to the most Mississippi State thing ever. What could have been a double legacy generational QB, was nary a thought. Bc 40 years prior, we didn’t think his dad was good enough, so he went and started for blue blood, Sugar Bowl champ Nebraska.

There’s solace in the fact that Mullen probably wouldn’t have recruited him anyway.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Can’t help but connect this to the most Mississippi State thing ever. What could have been a double legacy generational QB, was nary a thought. Bc 40 years prior, we didn’t think his dad was good enough, so he went and started for blue blood, Sugar Bowl champ Nebraska.

There’s solace in the fact that Mullen probably wouldn’t have recruited him anyway.
Haha, yeah it's scary how awful we could have been at evaluating all those years. I think 1974 and 1975 were the Bruce Threadgill years, and he was good too, but the point still stands. Looking back, seems Burrow was about 2 years older so who knows what we could have done with him.

It's still hard nowadays to see how players project, so I imagine it was nonexistent in the early 70s. I mean go look at any little league baseball team, coaches still just take the most mature kids. After the 80s, and losing Payton, Rice, Favre, etc., I do think Rockey Felker made a concerted effort to never let that happen again, and he still does today.

Sep 7, 2012
Yes..

Is Burrow basically the ultimate QB? He's got it in the head, he's stupid accurate (which is the most important thing), he's big enough to be durable, and he can run just fast enough to be dangerous but not always risking injury. He also seems to have the demeanor. He also got the proper 'training' as Bartoo says, as it's obvious he elevated LSU's average play while he was there. While yes LSU is an elite recruiter, it's pretty obvious they weren't as talented as their peers, and Burrow pushed them over the edge, along with an incredible staff.

In my opinion Burrow has a chance to be one of the greatest of all-time. Got it all.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login