On3 App Update

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
The message below is from the CEO of On3 - Shannon Terry. The app went live late last week and it is really beneficial if you are a paying member and since we don't have writers yet - the app isn't of much use. But I wanted to pass it along to y'all incase you wanted it.

Users, Fans, and Pubs

This morning we released another update to the On3 App, including further bug fixes and enhancements.

Please download the new update today in the App Store.

New Additions:

+ Added the ability for users to "swipe right" in the message boards, which will allow you to go back to your previous page. This is key when viewing a message board post and wanting to go back to the thread.

+ Fixed several article styles and forgot password flow.

What's Next:

+ Engineering is wrapping up "push notifications," and we expect to submit this enhancement by the end of the week. This will be the most popular feature of the App and a great resource when key news breaks.

+ Product and Engineering is working on a new menu header for the message boards for the App only. This will help keep users from unintentionally going back into the mobile site and keep them in the APP experience. PLEASE see the explanation below so that you understand the difference and limitations of the message boards in the APP vs. all the other features in the App.

+ Continued cleanup of user flow. We are working on many enhancements to make it a cleaner user experience during signup, login and general navigation.

What you need to know:

+ The On3 App is primarily and intentionally built for fan site subscribers. The On3 Fan Site App was not built to reach a mass audience of sports fans, but rather a concierge for our valued subscribers.

+ It is our mission to build a great App that combines all of the network's resources with the ease of an App. This is V1, and we will continue building on this platform for years. We appreciate your patience. You should see continued improvements in the App with each passing week.

You can download the APP at the following:

Thanks, Shannon

UNDERSTANDING THE MESSAGE BOARDS BETTER:

When we started On3, we built the forums on a third-party service called Xenforo. This is the same third-party service that Rivals uses. Xenforo does not provide a "full set of REST APIs". In non-tech speak, we don't have a straightforward way of integrating the forum's features directly into the different parts of our App.

Because of this, the forums portion of our App is using a Webvew. A webview is a mini web browser embedded within our App. It's just like using your internet browser but within the confines of our App. It is the only part of the App this is webview based.

The look and feel of the forum section may be different from the rest of the App since it's essentially a web page inside the App. It won't necessarily match the rest of our application's style perfectly. We are building workarounds that make the experience cleaner for users. SEE ABOVE.

Webviews can sometimes be a bit slower than native app interfaces, so you might notice that the forum pages take a little bit longer to load.

Some features behave differently in a Webview when compared to the rest of the App. For instance, interacting with notifications or media could be slightly different than you're used to.

Despite these limitations, we needed to use a Webview for the forum feature to maintain its functionality within our App. We prioritized ensuring you can still access the forums and engage with the community over the relatively minor changes in appearance and behavior.

Rest assured; our team is constantly working on ways to enhance your App experience. As we continue to evolve, our goal remains to provide you with the most seamless and user-friendly experience possible.

Last edited:

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Push notifications?

If I got alerted every time a post was made in a political or game thread my phone would look like this:

fire cell phone GIF

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Push notifications?

If I got alerted every time a post was made in a political or game thread my phone would look like this:

fire cell phone GIF
if two dudes are on here fussin it out I want to block all of that. more than 2 sentences? sorry gotta go.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Push notifications?

fire cell phone GIF
Those would be more for stories than message board posts, I assume.
For our purposes, the app would seem to have little value, as DS noted in his post.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login