OT: “AMERICA NOT THE GREATEST?”

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
i loved that show... could have gone on forever if Sorkin didn't take himself so seriously ... that opening episode was from 11 years ago... wonder where we rank in those categories now...

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Nice monologue. Not hard to challenge his views and the negativity bias of journalists and the the self-righteous in general. Is America the greatest country in the world? Maybe. He's right about people who just mindlessly say "freedom" and don't really know much about the rest of the world. He mentions our high incarceration rate. We actually need to incarcerate more people. We have far-too-many violent people wandering our streets and terrorizing others (Nola averages one carjacking per hour). I couldn't really get into that show. It's fine if you just want someone to shoot down the sloganeering type of Republicans. Do Americans really want to trade national healthcare, limitations on who can go to college for less household wealth, small cars, small appliances, small houses and clotheslines? That's Europe. I like Europe but Europeans are poorer on average than Americans. We also spend more on education, K-12 and especially on higher ed, than almost all other countries. Vietnam spends about 1/8 of what we spend but gets similar outcomes. What would aspiring young American women do without the disposable income to have bachelorette parties in Nashville? Those penis straws and "a hard man is good to find" shirts aren't free.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
America is also better at integrating immigrants and minorities than Europe is and European countries are less diverse than America. European countries can't seem to handle minority populations that are less than 10% of the overall population. American Muslims are largely, with some exceptions, law-abiding and middle class. We integrate poor central Americans better than Europe integrates poor Africans and Middle Easterners.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I always wanted to see this show but never did. However, as someone who has traveled the world more than most (although not as much as some on this board) and been to some not-so-nice places, and some really nice countries, it’s my opinion that America is, in fact, the greatest country in the world overall. Do we do the best at everything? No. But when you look at the overall picture, I think we’re the best and it’s not even close.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That show was great. Felt cheated like it was a season or 2 too short though.

Also...Olivia Munn.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
That show was great, and literally every single thing they said about republicans and democrats is pretty much correct. His rants on the Tea Party being co-opted by dumb people is correct. His comments on democrats losing so much being the smartest people in the room is nail on the head. Saving 2 cents on every dollar but costing you votes... bingo. If democrats are so smart, why do they lose so FN often... bingo.

And then there is Sloan Sabbath, aka Olivia Munn. Hottest she has ever looked.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I always wanted to see this show but never did. However, as someone who has traveled the world more than most (although not as much as some on this board) and been to some not-so-nice places, and some really nice countries, it’s my opinion that America is, in fact, the greatest country in the world overall. Do we do the best at everything? No. But when you look at the overall picture, I think we’re the best and it’s not even close.
Yup. UGA was 31st in the country in penalties, but they were still clearly the best team in all of football last year, just like Murica!

Reactions: paindonthurt

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
That show was great, and literally every single thing they said about republicans and democrats is pretty much correct. His rants on the Tea Party being co-opted by dumb people is correct. His comments on democrats losing so much being the smartest people in the room is nail on the head. Saving 2 cents on every dollar but costing you votes... bingo. If democrats are so smart, why do they lose so FN often... bingo.

And then there is Sloan Sabbath, aka Olivia Munn. Hottest she has ever looked.
I don’t know. There are some clips from Attack of the Show that are up there.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The great video. How dare him not pick left or right and identify himself by who he voted for the last election? God, what a easy way out.

Reactions: paindonthurt

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Not even remotely close.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
While I’ve enjoyed other countries, I’ve just found them all to be slightly to majorly inconvenient

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
That's why most cities in the country ban fireworks because there are way too many dubmasses

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Could this happen anywhere except America????

Had a similar thing happen when I was at State. We went up to the Buffalo River in TN for a float trip and overnight camping on the 4th of July. Had to be 500+ people out there camping in that field.

Hank Williams III was supposed to play after fireworks. They had them on one or 2 picnic tables and they went off like that video. Luckily me and a girl and one other guy were sitting in the back of my pickup. We laid down behind the tailgate and nothing major landed inside the truck... But it was pandemonium for everyone.

Hank 3 did not play and I think we may have all had to leave or something. It was peak redneck in my life.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login