OT - 2024 best streaming options

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Finally going to cut the cord as the Cspire packages are just too expensive.

I couldn’t seem to find a thread where this had been discussed in the last year so what’s the current recommendation for services?

get a good deal on the espn/disney/hulu basic apps via Verizon cell but what’s best for other networks?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I have Hulu, HBO MAX, Netflix and Prime. I probably watch Hulu the least and HBO the most. Be warned the NFL has been moving select games to streaming apps like Peacock (or the cock).

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Lots of questions for you to answer. Do you have kids? Is anyone technologically challenged in the home? Do you have an antenna or are local channels even important? Is a DVR important? What are your "must have" options? Do ads annoy the hell out of you or do you not give a ratz azz about them? Sports important? Way too many offerings to just ask what is the best one

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would say only benefit streaming has now is more a la carte and month to month and on demand viewing. However I think if you subscribe to severals you aren't saving anything. Several have ads now and prices have risen the last year or so.
We have been cutting back on apps.
We just recently turned off Hulu and Disney plus. Most of their content lately has just sucked.
we talked about turning off YouTube tv because our main tv has the Samsung free channels with news. But I like to watch news on our outside Vizio tv and I like to have news on the vizeo office tv. So we decided to keep it. I guess I could try an antenna for that. But YouTube tv is the best "live" tv option. Only reason I keep it is for local news and sports.
Other streaming.
Max (discovery hbo food network etc)
Netflix (which we go through phases with it and will shut it off depending on what's out)
Peacock (same. it is shut off most of the time except around Olympics and a new show we want to watch)
Prime (this one usually stays on but we'll add and remove additional subs to it like paramount and AMC or mgm if there is show we want to watch)
We had Apple TV plus or whatever don't think we do now.
we use fire sticks on everything but the living room and we use an Apple tv box on it.
So we can save money by shutting things off but if you subscribe to all of these different services it's not that cheap but so much is being pushed to the subscribing stream service now so you have to subscribe if you want to watch it. Lucky for me most of the product being put out is garabage. We might find 2 new shows a year we like. Maybe. Maybe a 2-3 current ones on streaming. Most of what we watch is old and just rewatch

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I probably watch HBO the most, Hulu is solid. Netflix to me isn't that good of a value proposition any more. Prime rarely has anything I want to watch, but is "free" if you're mostly using prime for the shipping.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
So family of 4 - kids are 15 and 12.

Wife has to have network tv. I just want live sports mostly.

Kids seem fine with the Hulu/disney/netflix apps we have now. There is a big antenna in the roof that was there when we bought the house but I’d have to figure out if it’s actually connected anywhere or not.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I would say only benefit streaming has now is more a la carte and month to month and on demand viewing. However I think if you subscribe to severals you aren't saving anything. Several have ads now and have risen the last year or so.
We have been cutting back apps. We just recently turned off Hulu and Disney plus.
we talked about turning off YouTube tv because our main tv has the Samsung free channels. But I like to watch news on outside video tv and have news on vizeo office tv. So we decided to keep it. But YouTube tv is the best "live" tv option. Only reason I keep it is for local news and sports.
Other streaming.
Max (discovery hbo food network etc)
Netflix (which we go through phases with it and will shut it off depending on what's out)
Peacock (same it is shut off most of the time except around Olympics and a new show we want to watch)
Prime (this one usually stays on but we I'll add and remove additional subs to paramount and AMC or mgm if there is show we want)
We had Apple TV plus or whatever don't think we do now.
we use fire sticks on everything but the living room and we use an Apple tv box on it.
We do about the same thing. We have YouTube TV and pay for Max. We use Netflix until we're not watching things and switch it off. I turned off Disney and Hulu when I got tired of Disney's decision to promote politics instead of simply making entertainment. I will turn on Peacock for the Olympics, and we always have Prime because we use Amazon a lot. Everything else will leave off until football season. We even turned off the 4K {But the Olympics start this month}. We usually wait till football starts

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
I get enough mileage on Peacock through the year that it makes sense to get the $19.99 or $29.99 (depends on if you are a new customer and what's available) annual deal. Comes out to $1.67 or $2.50 a month. Doing it this way makes it an item that you'll ever debate spending or cutting.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I get enough mileage on Peacock through the year that it makes sense to get the $19.99 or $29.99 (depends on if you are a new customer and what's available) annual deal. Comes out to $1.67 or $2.50 a month. Doing it this way makes it an item that you'll ever debate spending or cutting.
To me Peacock's movie selection is pretty lacking, but they have a ton of solid tv shows. Plus of course ballgames, increasingly.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
YouTube TV. It’s great. You aren’t actually cutting the cord with it. It’s traditional “cable”. Just cheaper.

Reactions: eckie1

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
To me Peacock's movie selection is pretty lacking, but they have a ton of solid tv shows. Plus of course ballgames, increasingly.
Paramount sub on prime seems to have better movies. Max movies are really lacking. Since succession I haven't found many shows on max worth it. House of dragon I guess but it's not as good at got.

peacock we got for the Olympics and for the new gladiator show that's coming. Looks good but hope it doesn't suck.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If you want sports and live TV get YouTube TV or Fubu. Every couple of months rotate between Prime, Max, Apple TV, Paramount, Netflix, and whatever catches your eye.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You're gonna get screwed with live sports. You'll have to get a big package (YoutubeTV, Hulu Live, Fubo Live, etc.) in order to guarantee you get all MSU games. I think you may can get SlingTV orange/blue a little cheaper but I think you miss out on SECN.

If you don't do live sports you can really do it cheap.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Wife has to have network tv. I just want live sports mostly.

There is a big antenna in the roof that was there when we bought the house but I’d have to figure out if it’s actually connected anywhere or not.
When I moved into present house they had previously used Direct TV. I removed their dish and put an antenna where dish was and even hooked up the same cable that was on the dish to my new antenna. Hooked their existing cables throughout the house to my tvs and have about 12 decent channels including all the big networks in almost every room in the house. You can buy DVR's for the antenna tvs too if thats important.

was21

May 29, 2007
Finally going to cut the cord as the Cspire packages are just too expensive.

I couldn’t seem to find a thread where this had been discussed in the last year so what’s the current recommendation for services?

get a good deal on the espn/disney/hulu basic apps via Verizon cell but what’s best for other networks?
YouTube TV. I had Directv for years and haven't missed it at all.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
How is Hulu Live? I have the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ bundle right now with Youtube TV paused. Was considering going with Hulu Live to keep the Disney/ESPN/Hulu and still have cable.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login