OT - Abner's

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
The original Abner's location closed down on Sunday, I live close to Oxford so this place was pretty good in it's heyday. When I worked in Tupelo a couple years ago I always went to their Tupelo store, but now it's closed too. Heard it had been going downhill ever since Abner White sold the company in 2019 and they started rebranding. OM already taking an L before the Egg Bowl.

Looks like they've only got 3 locations left - 2 in Memphis and 1 in Brandon.

https://www.hottytoddy.com/2023/11/21/abners-closes-its-doors-in-oxford-after-30-years/

Reactions: dorndawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The one in Starkville didn't last long at all and was replaced by another chicken joint. There's only so many ways you can do dry white meat chicken and only so many stores that can survive trying

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Stolen from an Ole Miss “friend”.
A lot of Ole Miss housewives are going to be scrambling ahead of tailgates now.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The one in Starkville didn't last long at all and was replaced by another chicken joint. There's only so many ways you can do dry white meat chicken and only so many stores that can survive trying
Abners was never really good. Certainly weren’t bad; it’s not hard to do decent fried chicken tenders. Been a long time, but Cane’s blows it away from what I can remember and so does the gas station near where I work (to be fair, the gas station is surprisingly good). Kind of amazing they got as big as they did.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
The original Abner's location closed down on Sunday, I live close to Oxford so this place was pretty good in it's heyday. When I worked in Tupelo a couple years ago I always went to their Tupelo store, but now it's closed too. Heard it had been going downhill ever since Abner White sold the company in 2019 and they started rebranding. OM already taking an L before the Egg Bowl.

https://www.hottytoddy.com/2023/11/21/abners-closes-its-doors-in-oxford-after-30-years/

it had been going down before 2019. Quality, amount of sauce given, service, everything.

The place to go for a plate of chicken tenders and sides in Tupelo is Kings Chicken over in Belden. Caines, Abners, Connies, Slim Chickens, etc. isn’t in the same league as that little family owned place.

Reactions: dogmatic001

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Abners was never really good. Certainly weren’t bad; it’s not hard to do decent fried chicken tenders. Been a long time, but Cane’s blows it away from what I can remember and so does the gas station near where I work (to be fair, the gas station is surprisingly good). Kind of amazing they got as big as they did.
I liked their grilled tenders waaay better than their fried.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Stolen from an Ole Miss “friend”.
A lot of Ole Miss housewives are going to be scrambling ahead of tailgates now.
They will be ok. I was driving through Oxford a few weeks ago and saw where they are building a Connie's on West Jackson

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
it had been going down before 2019. Quality, amount of sauce given, service, everything.

The place to go for a plate of chicken tenders and sides in Tupelo is Kings Chicken over in Belden. Caines, Abners, Connies, Slim Chickens, etc. isn’t in the same league as that little family owned place.
King’s is amazing. I actually technically worked in Belden, it was just so hard to get in and out of there in a 30 minute time frame and have enough time to eat lunch, so I didn’t get to go there very often as I would have liked to. The several times I did go, though, it was some of the best I have ever had.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Define last long?

I mean it made it 5 plus years at least and I was thinking more like 10 to 15.

But it had gone downhill. Couldn’t get people to answer the phone or come to drive through.

Reactions: CEO2044

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I started to point out that the "grilled" tenders was something they offered that was a competitive advantage. They had two wraps (I think maybe a ranch wrap and a buffalo wrap?) that were pretty solid with grilled.

But let's be honest, the vast majority of us fat asses still got the fried, because mediocre fried gets the nod over pretty decent "grilled" with the fat *** crowd nine out of ten times.

I think the other problem with hanging your hat on the non-fried tenders is that we could make pretty comparable marinated chicken tenders on the George foreman and it was pretty easy. The type of person that will pick the grilled over fried is also going to have a pretty decent overlap with the type of person that will spend 15 minutes cooking chicken tenders for $3 instead of spending 15 minutes going to spend $10 for the same quality chicken tenders from Abners.

anon1723824920

Oct 4, 2023

The one in brandon isn’t going to be around too much longer.. prices are outrageous and wait time is bad.

Reactions: SteelCurtain74

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Drive to New Albany and check out George’s!
Best chicken place in Nawlbenny. Strip and fry snack with a milkshake is so good, fried or grilled. Got some great hamburgers too. George would make a killing if he served breakfast like Connie's did, and I'm pretty sure Connie's has thought about opening a New Albany location when they were first announcing the Oxford and West Point stores.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Meanwhile, the owner of Raising Canes was just recently named the richest person in the state of Louisiana. What could have been…… Sigh

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I used to like abners was my go to for tenders. Zaxbys taste dirty. Canes is good but sometimes too greasy.
Level of salt in Madison Zaxbys is off the charts, and given that we are talking about fast food fried chicken tenders, that's saying something. Right across the street, the Cane's is way better. I'm always surprised that anyone chooses to got to the Zaxby's.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Level of salt in Madison Zaxbys is off the charts, and given that we are talking about fast food fried chicken tenders, that's saying something. Right across the street, the Cane's is way better. I'm always surprised that anyone chooses to got to the Zaxby's.
Most Zaxby’s ive been too are damn good.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Most Zaxby’s ive been too are damn good.
I can't say I've noticed that much salt in other Zaxby's locations, but it may be that with me cooking at home more and eating fast food a lot less, I'm hypersensitive to places that make salt the main seasoning. I do notice a difference in it vs the Cane's across the street from it.

Reactions: paindonthurt

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Bojanges just opened if Flowood. It tastes just like Popeyes which tastes like errywhere else. The only really good chicken tenders are at Grants in Flowood and the gas station in Louisville with the Cock of Walk (and that's only because they are yuge).

kakiDawg

Aug 31, 2012
I blame the demise of Abner’s on its use of celery salt in the slaw. The sauce is solid and very similar to Cane’s. But bad slaw is unacceptable.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
I go through spells of having to lose weight. The seven-piece chicken-only grilled and a plain baked potato was my go-to many a meal, but the price for that crept up and up and up.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
The Plate, grilled, Abner's sauce. Good stuff.

I have a feeling most of you here went for the Hungry Lush, fried.
Yes, especially on a recovery day. Top notch, would choose it over any other place 10/10 times.

rustydawg2

Jul 31, 2020

The guy who bought Abner’s is a huge State fan and alumnus.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login