OT - AI, it is a real danger?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Reading and listening to podcasts about about AI can be concerning. The things being done by AI seem to get more and more advanced. I read today that AI is being used to write news articles.

I realize this the basis of the Terminator Movies, back in the mid 80s when the first one came out, we surely didn't think Skynet could really happen. My concern is not as much as AI becoming self aware, but it being used by governments or individuals to shut down the power grid, Air Traffic Control, etc.

It is scary how some of these older books and movies closely prophecy the future. The film idiocracy was set 500 years in the future, but it looks like we will be there in 50. Tom Clancy released a book in the late 80s or early 90s that had a passenger jet being used to attack the US Capitol, and it happed 10 year later.

Please tell me to take off my Joe Rogan conspiracy hat and AI is no threat. Speaking of JR, he tells a story of Dave Chappelle meeting Steve Jobs, back when Jobs had the first and only iPhone with him, Chappelle joked if he'd killed that MFer right then the world would be so much better off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Reading and listening to podcasts about about AI can be concerning. The things being done by AI seem to get more and more advanced. I read today that AI is being used to write news articles.

I realize this the basis of the Terminator Movies, back in the mid 80s when the first one came out, we surely didn't think Skynet could really happen. My concern is not as much as AI becoming self aware, but it being used by governments or individuals to shut down the power grid, Air Traffic Control, etc.

It is scary how some of these older books and movies closely prophecy the future. The file idiocracy was set 500 years in the future, but it looks like we will be there in 50. Tom Clancy released a book in the late 80s or early 90s that had a passenger jet being used to attack the US Capitol, and it happed 10 year later.

Please tell me to take off my Joe Rogan conspiracy hat and AI is no threat. Speaking of JR, he tells a story of Dave Chappelle meeting Steve Jobs, back when Jobs had the first and only iPhone with him, Chappelle joked if he'd killed that MFer right then the world would be so much better off.
I’ve been seeming AI generated photos on the internet of Trump being arrested and hauled away by police. Then saw similar ones of Hillary, Obama, Lindsey Graham, M. McConnell, etc. they look so real. And the thought came to mind, could someone be framed for a crime and these AI photos used against them?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

It is scary how some of these older books and movies closely prophecy the future. The file idiocracy was set 500 years in the future, but it looks like we will be there in 50. Tom Clancy released a book in the late 80s or early 90s that had a passenger jet being used to attack the US Capitol, and it happed 10 year later.

The CL has used their Nashville AI headlines division for many years now.****

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
AI will be very beneficial in the medical field and some others at some point.....probably be just as damaging in some other applications/misapplications .

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
It has potential to end capitalism, and cause humanity to go extinct. The level of “human” jobs we could lose over the next decade(s) is hard to comprehend. Things should get very cheap as human labor is no longer required though. Think about a bank in the future: an AI bot could easily be used to replace basically every bankteller, clerk, and underwriting and most upper level management.

Also, we often think about AI being evil and harming humans. It could be given something entirely reasonable like “make the world a better place” and decide to wipe out humans somewhat accidentally.

I heard a quote the other day that was something like “we have primitive brains, medieval systems and now god-like technology”. It’s could be a very bad combination.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
It has potential to end capitalism, and cause humanity to go extinct. The level of “human” jobs we could lose over the next decade(s) is hard to comprehend. Things should get very cheap as human labor is no longer required. Think about a bank in the future: an AI bot could easily be used to replace basically every bankteller, clerk, and underwriting and most upper level management.

We often think about AI being evil and harming humans. It could be given something entirely reasonable like “make the world a better place” and decide to wipe out humans somewhat accidentally.

I heard a quote the other day that was something like “we have primitive brains, medieval systems and now god-like technology”. It’s could be a very bad combination.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm assuming there is no way to roll any of this back, so how to we protect and ready ourselves? I'm assuming AI could some day replace engineers by designing buildings and roads, writing contracts and even ordering materials?

If AI takes too many jobs it could leave us with a huge class of un/under employed poor people, who with nothing to do, would resort to violence and mischief.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilCoDawg

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I know very, very minimal coding. Probably have done 30 hours in my life. I got on ChatGPT yesterday (did GPT 4) and created a legit machine learning program to predict health outcomes based on data sets in less than 2 hours. This is a fundamental change on par with the creation of the Internet.

Jul 26, 2021
chris hemsworth television GIF by Saturday Night Live

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Of course it's a real danger.
...it's a real potential danger.

We can't even agree on things that are happening in front of us in real time are actually happenint, so the things AI can do will only further fracture us as a society.
That tech can straight up manufacture even more unhinged and distorted realities than we already have to deal with.

Nicephorus123

Nov 17, 2022
Difference with AI and past “industrial revolutions” is if it lives up to the hype, AI will be replacing mostly white collar workers rather than blue collar workers. The world will still need electricians and construction workers but if your job mostly or entirely consists of paperwork or writing letters, documents, articles, you may be on the chopping block within the next decade or so.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm assuming there is no way to roll any of this back, so how to we protect and ready ourselves? I'm assuming AI could some day replace engineers by designing buildings and roads, writing contracts and even ordering materials?

If AI takes too many jobs it could leave us with a huge class of un/under employed poor people, who with nothing to do, would resort to violence and mischief.
Sure we could ask to roll it back but there’s plenty of idiots out there who want to push the envelope no matter the consequences. Like asking kids not to play with matches, there’s always going to be the one that burns down a house.

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007

It is scary how some of these older books and movies closely prophecy the future. The film idiocracy was set 500 years in the future, but it looks like we will be there in 50. Tom Clancy released a book in the late 80s or early 90s that had a passenger jet being used to attack the US Capitol, and it happed 10 year later.

Yes. Decisions would be made without any conscious.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I believe that the internet and cell phones are both the best and and worst inventions of all time. When used correctly they are great assets and when they are used wrong they can actually poison humanity. Now I anticipate that AI will be joining that distinction in the very near future. Technology is truly the wild, Wild West with how it is used for both good and evil purposes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login