OT: Another old man medical **** thread

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
So, as I mentioned, I've lost 70lbs since last year. But my cholesterol hasn't improved. Yeh, trying Berderine for that. We'll see how it goes.
But today, I got the news my glucose is borderline diabetic at 114. What's the board medical staff think? Meds? No meds? It was 109 3 years ago. 111 2 years ago. So it's climbing.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Do you feel any different? I would just cut out high glycemic index foods first. No white rice, no cereal, no desserts and sodas. Probably lay off the white breads.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My Cholesterol stays in the 120's. I eat a dry bagel and apple juice for breakfast and some type of grilled chicken for lunch and supper. I will eat rice or a form of potatoes with it. I just bench pressed 345 pounds tonight. I am really proud of that. I tore a bicep tendon in December. I am starting to get strength back. Oh yeah, I am 58 years old. Never top working out. One more thing Cholesterol is all about genetics. I have heard that pistachio nuts help a lot in reducing it.

Last edited:

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Do you feel any different? I would just cut out high glycemic index foods first. No white rice, no cereal, no desserts and sodas. Probably lay off the white breads.
Get a blood glucose meter and keep check on it. Everybody is different. What will run my sugar off the chart will not affect yours at all and vice versa. I just met with my doctor and he while my total cholesterol was 176 my bad cholesterol was 112 and it needs to be under 100 for a non-diabetic and for a diabetic he wants it under 70. Some number to keep in your head. So I'm now on cholesterol medicine trying to get that 112 down.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
If you want to get your cholesterol down using medically approved solutions you probably should go on a statin. My cholesterol dropped from 230 to 160 on Atorvastatin (Lipitor). Plaque buildup in the arteries is a bad deal so choose wisely.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
A1c would give you a better idea of what it's running over a 6 month period, a little diet and exercise would do the trick most likely

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
What is your A1C? My understanding is 126 and higher blood sugar on two separate tests is typically considered diabetic.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I worked with a woman for over 20 years. She was a vegetarian and allergic to eggs. She didn't have an ounce of fat on her and was healthy as a horse. Her cholesterol was over 800, I saw her medical report multiple Times. High cholesterol isn't the ticking time bomb that Drs want you to believe.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Haven't drank soda in 20 years. Been on a high protein diet for several months. No bread, no sweets, and even slowed down my alcohol already.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
A single borderline BS isn’t very useful. A multi-week trend of readings, mostly fasting, would be helpful. And of course the A1c. It basically measures how much sugar is attached to your red blood cells, and since the average lifespan of a red blood cell is about 2-3 months, it gives u rough average of your sugars over that period. If med needed, there’s several good options (unless u have blue cross). And continue to lay off the sofas, that’s a big low hanging fruit.

Cholesterol is at least as much genetic as it is lifestyle related. Lots of folks can improve their BS impressively with diet and such; not so much with cholesterol, usually. U treat it more based on individual risk factors than the numbers themself.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Haven't drank soda in 20 years. Been on a high protein diet for several months. No bread, no sweets, and even slowed down my alcohol already.
I did something similar, and I have lost about 25 lbs. I do have the occasional Coke but mainly tea with Stevia and almost no junk food.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Exercise increases the sensitivity of your body/muscles to insulin therefore lowering serum glucose, try increasing your exercise intensity and or duration.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

Ddog

May 24, 2023
I worked with a woman for over 20 years. She was a vegetarian and allergic to eggs. She didn't have an ounce of fat on her and was healthy as a horse. Her cholesterol was over 800, I saw her medical report multiple Times. High cholesterol isn't the ticking time bomb that Drs want you to believe.
She may have looked healthy but….

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
That new diabetic drug is awesome. The housewives in the Nashville area are walking billboards of how great the side effects are.***

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Exercise increases the sensitivity of your body/muscles to insulin therefore lowering serum glucose, try increasing your exercise intensity and or duration.
I've been saving money for some workout stuff. That's going to be my priority. I feel great since losing the weight and going from 260 to 185. I had increased my exercise but the summer heat has me slacking.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I've been saving money for some workout stuff. That's going to be my priority. I feel great since losing the weight and going from 260 to 185. I had increased my exercise but the summer heat has me slacking.
Join the local planet fitness. Cheap and probably some nice scenery. I swear that’s why most the old men go to my gym. Don’t blame them.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Have you tried intermittent fasting? Can be a little tough to adjust to at first but has great benefits.

Reactions: 60sdog

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Genetics is a big factor. Look at your family history. I try really hard to eat healthy and still have to take a maximum dose statin daily. Stay vigilant in working on it. I had a near heart attack situation about 5 years ago and got a stent in the widow maker artery that was Almost completely blocked. A heart attack from that one has a 12 percent survival rate. You don’t want to go that route. It’s really hard to eat totally healthy unless you eat every single meal at home. Restaurants and especially fast food are not your friend. Eat healthy, exercise, and a focused competent Doctor should be a part of your life from now on.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
So, as I mentioned, I've lost 70lbs since last year. But my cholesterol hasn't improved. Yeh, trying Berderine for that. We'll see how it goes.
But today, I got the news my glucose is borderline diabetic at 114. What's the board medical staff think? Meds? No meds? It was 109 3 years ago. 111 2 years ago. So it's climbing.
I substantially cut back my drinking this year, due to time constraints and increased hangovers. Cholesterol dropped like a stone (250 to 120) even though my diet and weight haven't changed at all.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I would just cut out high glycemic index foods first. No white rice, no cereal, no desserts and sodas. Probably lay off the white breads.
Dang, I'd rather die early than do this! Enjoy life, none of us gonna live forever, especially if you're 60s+. Exercise, drink water and eat well 4-5days/week, but enjoy life now rather than get 5 extra years in your late 70s/80s when you have to wear depends. Do as much coke and hookers now as you can.

Explosion Jumping GIF by ActionVFX

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Dang, I'd rather die early than do this! Enjoy life, none of us gonna live forever, especially if you're 60s+. Exercise, drink water and eat well 4-5days/week, but enjoy life now rather than get 5 extra years in your late 70s/80s when you have to wear depends. Do as much coke and hookers now as you can.

Explosion Jumping GIF by ActionVFX
Everyone's priorities change, you do you.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Have you tried intermittent fasting? Can be a little tough to adjust to at first but has great benefits.
That's how I lost the weight. I stopped because I was getting too damn skinny. I've recently gone back to it in a modified form so I don't lose weight. 6-2, 185 is damn scrawny feeling. But I swear my pecker has grown exponentially.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
That's how I lost the weight. I stopped because I was getting too damn skinny. I've recently gone back to it in a modified form so I don't lose weight. 6-2, 185 is damn scrawny feeling. But I swear my pecker has grown exponentially.
What IF did you do? 18:6 or one meal per day?

Agree that 6-2 185 is too skinny.

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023
My advice is to follow what this Tennessee doctor says

Dr. Ken Berry
This ^^^! Most providers haven't read recent CVD research bc they're too busy running their practices.....thus their advice is stuck in pre-1995 CVD theories. The most recent science indicates the cholesterol hypothesis is a hyper-poor bio-marker for CVD. Some combination of sugar/inflammation/obesity/hypertension/insulin resistance is a bigger indicator of stroke, heart attack or death.

Reactions: HumpDawgy

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022
So, how fat were you?

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Some things are just going to happen. Family history of any of the above?

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login