OT: Another ridiculous Mississippi...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
alcohol law. My wife acquired a taste for hard apple cider on a trip to the UK. She can deal with Angry Orchard but she found one she really liked that was available in MS a couple of years ago. It hasn't been in our local store for a little less than a year now. I finally asked someone at the store what happened. It seems this particular cider had about 9% alcohol. Since it is made from a fruit, the state deemed that a wine. If it had been less than 6% it could be sold like beer. Since it's over it has to go through the state warehouse, and no, they don't stock it. Never mind that beer can be up to 10% and not go through the state warehouse. That's just nuts.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
If only there was friendly bootlegger who could help you out...

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
You heathens with your Demon Rum, well Demon Cider. That Scrumpy will get to you quickly if you drink a couple of them.

Reactions: L4Dawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What county are you in? Still canā€™t sell liquor? Even Rankin has changed that law, at least somewhat. I think itā€™s legal in Brandon and Flowood, not in the county. I may be wrong, but all I know is that I donā€™t have to drive to Jackson anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: Mr. Cook

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
They just passed a law allowing liquor sales in smaller towns under 5000 I think it is.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
alcohol law. My wife acquired a taste for hard apple cider on a trip to the UK. She can deal with Angry Orchard but she found one she really liked that was available in MS a couple of years ago. It hasn't been in our local store for a little less than a year now. I finally asked someone at the store what happened. It seems this particular cider had about 9% alcohol. Since it is made from a fruit, the state deemed that a wine. If it had been less than 6% it could be sold like beer. Since it's over it has to go through the state warehouse, and no, they don't stock it. Never mind that beer can be up to 10% and not go through the state warehouse. That's just nuts.
Make her one. 5 gallons of quality apple juice, brown sugar, and a $2 pack of cider yeast. In about a month youā€™re set. You can probably even find a clone recipe for that particular cider

How to Make Cider

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
What county are you in? Still canā€™t sell liquor? Even Rankin has changed that law, at least somewhat. I think itā€™s legal in Brandon and Flowood, not in the county. I may be wrong, but all I know is that I donā€™t have to drive to Jackson anymore.
That this is still a discussion in Mississippi in 2024 is exactly why no one wants to relocate there and the talent that is there can't wait to get the hell out.

Too much bible-thumping, snake-charming going on************

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
If it makes you feel any better, here in Ten-see, itā€™s basically the same but itā€™s based on alcohol level. High-gravity and such that are on the higher alcohol side are relegated to liquor stores. Wine is in grocery stores though.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
MS just passed a law to allow every town in MS to sell wine and liquor. Now, if they'll allow direct internet sales the world be better here. But they won't. They have their beverage barn stealing money.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
If it makes you feel any better, here in Ten-see, itā€™s basically the same but itā€™s based on alcohol level. High-gravity and such that are on the higher alcohol side are relegated to liquor stores. Wine is in grocery stores though.

You have Jack Daniels.

ā€œThat makes the score: Tennessee 7, Mississippi ZIPā€

• Haha
Reactions: WilCoDawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That is a STATE Law evidently. Cider over 6%, since it is made from a fruit, is considered wine. As such it has to go through the state distributor, like all liquor and wine. It doesn't matter what county. If the state as distributor doesn't carry it, it ain't legal in Mississippi.
They just passed a law allowing liquor sales in smaller towns under 5000 I think it is.
Actually what it did was change the default setting in ALL municipalities to wet as far as sales. They changed it for posession state wide last year. In either case now a municipality has to vote to opt dry. They are wet by default.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Hell Wesson had the highest volume package store in the state for years until Brookhaven voted liquor sales in about 10 years ago. Now Newman's package store is in Brookhaven. Wesson population was about 1200 all those years.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That this is still a discussion in Mississippi in 2024 is exactly why no one wants to relocate there and the talent that is there can't wait to get the hell out.

Yep. Economic development types off the record will tell you our archaic liquor laws have been one of the biggest things they have had to fight to get companies to locate here.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Is she using "Apple Cider" as a metaphor for Jody? Does she send you on hours long hunts for "Apple Cider" with the kids?
????? Whatever. In truth, it's her preference for a pre-dinner drink. Mine is beer. Hers was too till that trip to the UK.

Double Dawg

Mar 3, 2008
When MS voted it in back in 1966, the State should have been wet to begin with & the counties & municipalities should have had to vote it out.

With regard to higher alcohol beer, the State is not allowed (by law) to distribute malt-based beverages.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
When MS voted it in back in 1966, the State should have been wet to begin with & the counties & municipalities should have had to vote it out.

With regard to higher alcohol beer, the State is not allowed (by law) to distribute malt-based beverages.
Cider is a fermented product. Why that matters is beyond me. So we have products , one malt based, and one fermented, with exactly the same alcohol content. One has to be distributed by the state, and one can NOT be distributed by the state. Tell my why that makes sense. Tell me why the STATE has to be involved at all with distribution of ANY legal product in the state. The state can collect its tax on any product no matter how it's sold now, and they do.

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Cider is a fermented product. Why that matters is beyond me. So we have products , one malt based, and one fermented, with exactly the same alcohol content. One has to be distributed by the state, and one can NOT be distributed by the state. Tell my why that makes sense. Tell me why the STATE has to be involved at all with distribution of ANY legal product in the state. The state can collect its tax on any product no matter how it's sold now, and they do.

I don't have the energy or inclination to wander into the state liquor laws, which I'm sure are ill conceived and make little logical sense, but all alcohol begins with a fermentation. So I'm not sure how one thing can be termed fermented vs malted when they all have to start with a fermentation to generate the alcohol.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I tell the people at the store that my wife is the one looking for the Apple cider as wellac
Don't let her try the Baked Apple from D's Wicked Cider outta Kennewick, WA. I have it on tap and may have taken a few tugs strait from the handle... Seriously it tastes like Grandma's apple pie and I have watched many a men set down a pint of their favorite beer to partake in the Baked Apple.

Gotta case of the Bourbon Barrel Peach Cider from Tieton Cider Works outta Yakima getting delivered tomorrow. I'll give you a review so you can pass it on to Mrs Zombie of course. And she can presumably pass some on to the little Zombie... NTTAWT

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Don't let her try the Baked Apple from D's Wicked Cider outta Kennewick, WA. I have it on tap and may have taken a few tugs strait from the handle... Seriously it tastes like Grandma's apple pie and I have watched many a men set down a pint of their favorite beer to partake in the Baked Apple.

Gotta case of the Bourbon Barrel Peach Cider from Tieton Cider Works outta Yakima getting delivered tomorrow. I'll give you a review so you can pass it on to Mrs Zombie of course. And she can presumably pass some on to the little Zombie... NTTAWT
A pint of the Johnny Jump Up.............It's a long story, that evening at the 'spoons, also known as the Corryvreckan, in Oban! Good times for sure! I miss the Uk, haven't been since September of 2019.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I tell the people at the store that my wife is the one looking for the Apple cider as well
I actually like the stuff, but it's not beer. Now over there.....it's a different thing all together. As someone in this thread has already pointed out, watch yourself with that scrumpy!

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
The liquor and wine laws are ridiculous in MS. My wife has been calling and mailing Publix to open up in the old K-Mart building in Columbus. There is only Kroger and Walmart with a wide enough selection. Publix sells a wide variety of wines. Mississippi won't allow that. We would love to have a Publix nearby!

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

And the thumpers and charmers are bemoaning that thereā€™s less of it than it used to beā€¦. *****

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Hopefully the Baptists are finally going to get their legs knocked out from under their hypocritical, judgmental asses with this lawsuit for sexual misconduct. That group holds back MS in a huge way. Between them and a poor educational system, MS just can't get right.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
for god's sake, they sell liquor in Soso, Mississippi. but not beer or wine.

• Haha
Reactions: Ranchdawg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login