OT: Another Self/Home Defense Thought

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I love these threads. After so many over the years where everyone makes great points and shares good ideas…. I always end up in one place.

I can’t help but imagine all of you with various incredible weapons strategically located throughout your homes in case of an intruder in the night… Then you lay down in bed and put on your CPAP and drift off into a deep REM sleep so powerful you’d sleep through a tactical nuclear explosion in your den.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
No doubt, I sleep with ear plugs and a white noise machine, so i wouldn't hear a tornado. I live in an extremely safe neighborhood in Rankin County, where I have zero fear of a home invasion. When I'm in the country though, in the middle of now where with no or spotty cell phone service and no neighbors, I do worry about meth heads doing something stupid.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
No CPAP (yet at least) but I sleep like the dead. We set the alarm at night because it's loud enough to get me up. A window breaking across the house wouldn't disturb me in the least without the alarm knowing it happened.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
No CPAP (yet at least) but I sleep like the dead. We set the alarm at night because it's loud enough to get me up. A window breaking across the house wouldn't disturb me in the least without the alarm knowing it happened.
Yep. I slept through a car bomb right outside of our gates in Iraq. We'd been out running night missions and I was snoozing in the tent in the middle of the day. Apparently everyone else jumped up and went in the bunker until they got the all clear. I never budged.

That was 20 years ago. It's even worse now.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
That’s 100% me for the first 4-hours of sleep - I can sleep through almost anything. I do have an alarm, two large dogs, and a wife that’s a light sleeper and is an excellent shot though…

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yep. I slept through a car bomb right outside of our gates in Iraq. We'd been out running night missions and I was snoozing in the tent in the middle of the day. Apparently everyone else jumped up and went in the bunker until they got the all clear. I never budged.

At my first base (mid 80s), my dorm was a couple hundred yards from the alert cage (with only open space in between), KC 135 and BUFF engines were run all night, eventually you end up sleeping through it all, no problems.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004

My dad was a heavy sleeper like me (you could literally pour water on him and he wouldn’t wake up) but surprised me one night. He was a fire support officer in Vietnam for context.

Him, my uncle, and I were at a hunting camp we owned back when I was in my teens. Dad was dead asleep on the couch and I was watching TV laying on the floor. My Uncle was in bed and woke up to pee. He saw a deer out the bathroom window (open because it was cool that night) and the dumbass grabbed his .270 and shot it (statute of limitations?). The sound reverberated through the camp and by the time I could turn my head to see what the hell was going on, dad had rolled off the couch and was prone on the floor.

That particular uncle didn’t get invited back for two years, lol…

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Two dogs inside and cameras that have settings for smoke/carbon monoxide alarms, glass breakage, and any loud noises that will alert the app on the phone. Its also a curse that I can hear a mosquito flying outside the window when I sleep or my kids walking down the carpeted hall so I don't worry too much about the waking up part, just what's going to be required once I'm awake

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022

Also should have mentioned that when we had the alarm installed we had the guy put an extra speaker/horn in the master bedroom especially for me. I've slept through a 2AM fire alarm and building evacuation at a Chicago Marriott before.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I love these threads. After so many over the years where everyone makes great points and shares good ideas…. I always end up in one place.

I can’t help but imagine all of you with various incredible weapons strategically located throughout your homes in case of an intruder in the night… Then you lay down in bed and put on your CPAP and drift off into a deep REM sleep so powerful you’d sleep through a tactical nuclear explosion in your den.
Why are you watching me when I sleep. That's creepy dude.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
It takes a great effort for me to fall asleep but once I'm there I am out for 6-7 hours. My wife is the exact opposite, she can fall asleep at the drop of hat but a pin drop can wake her up. We have exterior cameras that sends an alert on our phones but my wife has to wake me up to check the video footage.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That's what an alarm system and Fido is for.

I am going to just hang an electric grill starter on the front doorknob and rig up a blow torch on the back door.
Joe Pesci 90S GIF by Home Alone

If someone comes through a window they’re guaranteed break a leg tripping over my kids legos, my wife’s shoes, or a 17ing dog bed.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
No CPAP, yet anyway. First, all our exterior doors, in addition to deadbolts, have top and bottom latches. They are all defeatable but you’re going to make a lot of noise breaking into my home. All windows have exterior screens, security locked windows, and latched interior wood shutters. There’s going to be noise involved getting through that. A break in may or may not wake us but I like being prepared if it does. Secondly I probably spend more time in my house awake than I do in the bed asleep so while the vast majority of my firearms are locked in a safe, there are a couple that I can access in seconds. Hope I never need any of it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Two dogs inside and cameras that have settings for smoke/carbon monoxide alarms, glass breakage, and any loud noises that will alert the app on the phone. Its also a curse that I can hear a mosquito flying outside the window when I sleep or my kids walking down the carpeted hall so I don't worry too much about the waking up part, just what's going to be required once I'm awake
Me and you both I'm such a lite sleeper. I typically sleep with a fan on for white noise but I still hear crap all night that wakes me up

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Talked to a couple of former LEOs that do defense training. They said the majority of break-ins happen during the day. This surprised me. Luckily I have a lab that lets me know if anything gets closer than the sidewalk to the house, night or day.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Me and you both I'm such a lite sleeper. I typically sleep with a fan on for white noise but I still hear crap all night that wakes me up
Same, fan in the summer and a noise app on my tablet for when its too cool for the fan.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
We lived in an antibellum house in Alabama once. One night (in the middle of the night) there was a large crash. In a flash, I was up and had my Glock in hand. The problem was, my wife was right behind me (No kids, all grown and gone - just us). I searched (Cleared) the house, room by room, with me telling her about 40 times to "Stay behind me, because when I see anyone, I will shoot them without warning.". After much too long, I found a large painting had come off a downstairs back hallway wall, making the crash that woke both of us up. At least I didn;t shoot her.

My 2 cents is to be very careful to not shoot a loved one, because if she is like my wife, a wife will attach herself to your back and you search.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
We lived in an antibellum house in Alabama once. One night (in the middle of the night) there was a large crash. In a flash, I was up and had my Glock in hand. The problem was, my wife was right behind me (No kids, all grown and gone - just us). I searched (Cleared) the house, room by room, with me telling her about 40 times to "Stay behind me, because when I see anyone, I will shoot them without warning.". After much too long doing a low visablity search, I found a large painting had come off a downstairs back hallway wall, making the crash that woke both of us up. At least I didn;t shoot her.

My 2 cents is to be very careful to not shoot a loved one, because if she is like my wife, a wife will attach herself to your back and you search.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No doubt, I sleep with ear plugs and a white noise machine, so i wouldn't hear a tornado. I live in an extremely safe neighborhood in Rankin County, where I have zero fear of a home invasion. When I'm in the country though, in the middle of now where with no or spotty cell phone service and no neighbors, I do worry about meth heads doing something stupid.
Yup. I know there is always a chance but my odds of a home invasion are so low that the ******** statistic about being more likely to hurt myself or a family member than successfully use a gun for self defense in the home is probably true for me. My guns are locked up and probably worthless in a home invasion unless the people are just bumbling dipshits and make a lot of noise before then delaying going to the bedroom. Even if I made it to the gun stash and got them unlocked, I shoot so rarely that I'd probably grab the .22 revolver just to not have to mess with a safety.

When we don't have kids in the house, I'll probably put them somewhere a little more accessible and actually start shooting again.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

I'm 36 and sleep like a tank with a box fan beside. I have firearms in most rooms in our home. My wife and I both have biometric handgun safes under our sides of the bed, and there's a shotgun besides my nightstand. I live off the beaten path, and the only reason you'd come down my driveway at night is because you were coming for a reason.
But, I have three alarm systems to wake my slumbering *** up.
1. My wife wakes up if one of my dogs dogs fart or if a pinecone lands outside her window
2. Ring system
3. My dogs are up and barking when they hear tires hit gravel. It could be in the middle of a deafening thunderstorm beating on the metal roof, but they would still hear someone driving on the gravel.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Nailed it with C-pap. Also fall asleep as soon as the head hits the pillow and stay that way most nights. Occasionally get woke up if the wife has to pee (and then lets the inside dogs out to do the same) or if the power goes out and I'm suffocating in the c-pap mask.

Rural / usually low crime area. Dead end road with almost no traffic so the dogs really notice if there is a vehicle near.

On the plus side, wife would wake up hearing a gnat fart.
2 inside dogs that bark at any movement/sound.
2 outside dogs (but there's a 50/50 chance they are out whoring around the neighborhood)
Used to keep tactical 12 ga and/or 9mm next to bed but since the grand is now walking, have to keep those put up more.

There are 9mm or 380's scattered at various locations in the house out of sight (and reach of kids).

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I had gotten up to 260 LBs and was eying a CPAP. So I lost 40 lbs (so far). Now I don't sleep much because of all the mattress stress testing.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm 36 and sleep like a tank with a box fan beside. I have firearms in most rooms in our home. My wife and I both have biometric handgun safes under our sides of the bed, and there's a shotgun besides my nightstand. I live off the beaten path, and the only reason you'd come down my driveway at night is because you were coming for a reason.
But, I have three alarm systems to wake my slumbering *** up.
1. My wife wakes up if one of my dogs dogs fart or if a pinecone lands outside her window
2. Ring system
3. My dogs are up and barking when they hear tires hit gravel. It could be in the middle of a deafening thunderstorm beating on the metal roof, but they would still hear someone driving on the gravel.
Do you like living off the beaten path? Because it sounds like you'd be well prepared to live in a nice city like Jackson?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Do you like living off the beaten path? Because it sounds like you'd be well prepared to live in a nice city like Jackson?
Lol. I can’t imagine living in a neighborhood. I will take living 20 minutes from a grocery store over city living now that I’ve done both

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login