OT: another streaming service thread

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I finally having access to high speed internet that will support multiple devices. My current internet can do one without slowing down. So, I am getting rid of ATT and Directv. I know ESPN+ doesn't allow you to watch live ESPN content, but you can get SECN and SECN+. I can watch live ESPN on Hulu TV and YouTube TV, from what I understand. My question is, will I be able to create an ESPN+ account with either one of those providers to watch SECN or SECN+ like I can with DTV and watch on the ESPN app? Or will I have to pay for ESPN+. I assume ESPN+ is included with DTV and that's what allows me to have access to SECN+ and watch baseball games via the ESPN app.

tl/dr: I'm wanting to choose a streaming service that allows me to be able to watch all msu baseball and football games and go with the most affordable option if the service are comparable.

Last edited:

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
If I understand correctly, you can't count on ESPN+ to watch all the games, since it doesn't include games airing on the SEC Network and ESPN. If you get the SEC Network from your provider and that provider has a deal with the ESPN app, then you can get all the games. I've found this to be true with YouTube TV.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
That's pretty much what I gathered. If I got YouTube TV then I would be able to watch live ESPN and SECN games, plus be able to use the ESPN app for SECN+ games. I've been leaning more towards YouTube over Hulu just based off feedback from here and other people. I already pay for Disney+, and even keep that service it would still be cheaper than the Hulu Disney bundle.

The issue I have now, and the same one I have with DTV, is local channels. I live in Hancock county and I get New Orleans channels. YouTube would also give me New Orleans channels and I don't give a flying 17 about New Orleans.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That's pretty much what I gathered. If I got YouTube TV then I would be able to watch live ESPN and SECN games, plus be able to use the ESPN app for SECN+ games. I've been leaning more towards YouTube over Hulu just based off feedback from here and other people. I already pay for Disney+, and even keep that service it would still be cheaper than the Hulu Disney bundle.

The issue I have now, and the same one I have with DTV, is local channels. I live in Hancock county and I get New Orleans channels. YouTube would also give me New Orleans channels and I don't give a flying 17 about New Orleans.

If you have any kids in your family they will thank you for getting this bundle this is what I have so my grandkids can watch and so I can watch Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic.

Last edited:

engie

May 29, 2011
A Verizon unlimited cell phone plan gets us the Hulu/Disney bundle for free. Plus Apple Music for free. Never tried to access ESPN thru Hulu on it, just throwing out an fyi

Aug 28, 2018
If you only have basic Hulu, not Hulu+Live, you won't watch anything SEC related (other than maybe an occasional meaningless volleyball game or something). You'll get no live SEC sports through ESPN+ account unless you have access to those channels through a streaming subscription (Hulu+Live, Sling, Etc)

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
I have YouTube TV and it serves me well. Family members are on my account therefore I pay about $65 and my family members pay nothing. YouTube TV has local stations that relate to your IP address thus I and family members have local stations. A family member has Apple TV+ and I am on his plan, he pays for himself and my access. I recommend that you get YouTube TV and share with child or sibling and have them return favor with ESPN+ access? Add Apple TV+ with another child or sibling and you are covered for $65?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Another vote for YouTube tv, although I can't speak to watching our baseball games on it. If it matters to you, youtube also has the best DVR setup I've ever fooled with.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
No kids here. Do you have the option to watch secn+ games on the espn app with YouTube tv?

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I finally having access to high speed internet that will support multiple devices. My current internet can do one without slowing down. So, I am getting rid of ATT and Directv. I know ESPN+ doesn't allow you to watch live ESPN content, but you can get SECN and SECN+. I can watch live ESPN on Hulu TV and YouTube TV, from what I understand. My question is, will I be able to create an ESPN+ account with either one of those providers to watch SECN or SECN+ like I can with DTV and watch on the ESPN app? Or will I have to pay for ESPN+. I assume ESPN+ is included with DTV and that's what allows me to have access to SECN+ and watch baseball games via the ESPN app.

tl/dr: I'm wanting to choose a streaming service that allows me to be able to watch all msu baseball and football games and go with the most affordable option if the service are comparable.

I think you’re a little confused. Or maybe a lot.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
Another vote for YouTube tv, although I can't speak to watching our baseball games on it. If it matters to you, youtube also has the best DVR setup I've ever fooled with.

YouTube TV is dirt cheap and has most everything sports wise. Get YouTube TV and put a parent or sibling on your family account. Then have the parent or sibling pay for ESPN+ and have them put you on their family account? If you or family member have an iPhone, do the same within the family unit for Apple TV+?

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
ESPN+ is a stand alone streaming service. It gives you access to things like UFC, boxing, 30for30, lower conference level sports, golf, documentaries, etc. you do get live sports with it but you don’t get SECN or SECN+ with it (at least not per ESPN website FAQ’s).

YouTube TV (YTTV) gives you access to all of ESPN’s live broadcast networks and streaming channels with ESPN3 but not ESPN+.

Keep in mind that some events will be simulcast on ESPN3, ESPN+, and possibly SECN+ but you can’t rely on that to always be the case.

You can use the ESPN app on any streaming device or smart TV to access both ESPN+ (with subscription whether paid or as an add-on from a cell provider or ISP if that happens but I think that’s only Netflix, HBO Max, Discovery+, Disney+). That same app will allow you to login with your TV Provider info and stream all ESPN network airings including ABC sports like football and such.

Hopefully this clears it up. If not, I’ll try to communicate it more clearly if you’d like.

yjnkdawg

Sep 6, 2013
No kids here. Do you have the option to watch secn+ games on the espn app with YouTube tv?

With YouTube TV you have the option to watch what's on the ESPN App, which includes SECN+, but you have to download the App from your streaming service (Roku, Amazon Fire, etc.). You do not get ESPN+ ( which I don't have any need for it currently) as that is a separate subscription service through ESPN. You don't need ESPN+ to watch our baseball games , because the ones that will be broadcast will be on SECN+, SECN, or one of the other ESPN TV channels. I switched over from AT&T Uverse (I had DirectTV prior to that) to YouTube TV and I think it is great. No buffering that I have seen and great picture clarity and not paying over $200 a month for numerous channels that were never watched.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
No, that’s what I was trying to say, my thoughts don’t always come across so eloquently when I’m typing fast on my phone.
I really just needed to know if YouTube tv was an accepted provider to create an account on the espn app for secn+.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
No, that’s what I was trying to say, my thoughts don’t always come across so eloquently when I’m typing fast on my phone.
I really just needed to know if YouTube tv was an accepted provider to create an account on the espn app for secn+.

Yes, use your YouTube TV account login info to login to the TV provider section on the ESPN app on your TV or streaming device. You don’t have to create an account on the ESPN app. That will let you access SECN+.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I wish someone would come out with an a la carte service where you pay only for what channels you want to watch…besides ESPN and SEC Networks, we probably only watch 2-3 other channels.

Last edited:

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
To paraphrase ol Jim Barksdale, the only way to make money in business is to bundle or unbundle, baby

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Unless it's MNF or college football I don't know that I ever watch ESPN. My wife watches several channels, but other than live sports, I could do without live TV. I could watch Seinfeld or the Office exclusively and be ok. Every other show I watch is provided on streaming services except when HBO has something good.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Come on, somebody has to foot the bill for all of those home shopping channels, Lifetime tear jerker movie channels, game nerd channels, and foreign language channels that wouldn't last a month on their own unless they were subsidized. Just say no to that crap.

I have an antenna that gets me all the locals, ETV, and sub channels, then regular old YouTube, a Roku and I'm set. Prime Video is the only thing I pay for w/ our Prime account ($12.99/mo) and I more than get my money$ worth w/ the free shipping, Amazon music, Amazon photo storage and tv streaming. During football season in the past I've gotten Sling Orange for $35 plus the Sports Package for $11 more so I can see all games for $46. I may not even do that this year, I've lost more and more interest the last few years and don't see it getting better w/ transfer portal and NIL involved.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018

I like Hulu, but their format for Live TV sucks and is not user-friendly.

YouTube TV's guide is perfect and DVR holds all the stuff you set as favorites and watch them any time.

I get on the ESPN app for games not on major networks and it prompts you to select what your TV provider is...choose YouTube and mine is linked to my Google, that I click on and input my Google password if necessary.​

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login