OT - Any cast iron cookware buffs know anything about this piece?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Are there any markings on the bottom other than the 3 on the handle?

Is that a confederate flag image in the bottom of the pan?

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Are there any markings on the bottom other than the 3 on the handle?

Is that a confederate flag image in the bottom of the pan?
I have also wondered if that is supposed to be a Confederate flag, but I don't know. If it is, there's not much detail. But if it is, there is a greater chance this is a much older piece. From the pic of the bottom I posted there is one mark, but I don't know if it is stamped or wear from previous use.

baddawggy

Jun 12, 2018
In the early 1900's there were 3 companies who specialized in custom engraved cast iron skillets which i believe this was. They were Birmingham-Wagner-Griswald. Both Birmingham and Griswald specialized in the more square or odd shaped skillets. the Value is between $125-200 or higher for a collector.

baddawggy

Jun 12, 2018
it would have been extremely rare for a confederate flag design to be put on a cast iron skillet pre-1870's. also the iron would have been thinner, and the Pitino would be much more defined.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Could be an Alabama flag since there are no stars.

I don't see a 3 on the handle.

You could always send an email with pictures to the cast iron factory in South Pittsburgh, Tennessee. It's just across the Alabama/Tenn border west of Chattanooga on I-24.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Could be an Alabama flag since there are no stars.

I don't see a 3 on the handle.

You could always send an email with pictures to the cast iron factory in South Pittsburgh, Tennessee. It's just across the Alabama/Tenn border west of Chattanooga on I-24.
Thanks, Rocket. There is a 3 on the underside of the handle.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login