OT - Any Commercial Pilots in the Jxn Area?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My youngest (11th grade) is set on being a pilot, he's taken the introductory flight at the Madison Airport. He's wanting to start ground school this spring. I'd like for him to be able to talk to someone about the next steps (after he finishes high school). I got my private pilot's license in the early 90s, but it has changed a lot since then.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Advice is cheap and everyone likes their own ideas, I'll give you mine after a long career in aviation. After AFROTC at State, I flew transports (C-141) and had a 32-year career flying at FedEx. I did 7 years in the chief pilots' office and 20 years as a check airman.
I highly recommend a college degree but not an "aviation" degree. You don't know now that your son will want to fly in 5 years, or even likes flying at all. Many young people don't want to travel and be away from home as much as my generation was willing to do. A business degree from any school just a smart move in case the flying thing doesn't pan out.
Talk to someone about the Jackson Air Guard unit. I'd guess that every C-17 pilot that wants to go the airline route has an airline job. It's difficult for the civilian side to duplicate the training and operational experience your son would get.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Advice is cheap and everyone likes their own ideas, I'll give you mine after a long career in aviation. After AFROTC at State, I flew transports (C-141) and had a 32-year career flying at FedEx. I did 7 years in the chief pilots' office and 20 years as a check airman.
I highly recommend a college degree but not an "aviation" degree. You don't know now that your son will want to fly in 5 years, or even likes flying at all. Many young people don't want to travel and be away from home as much as my generation was willing to do. A business degree from any school just a smart move in case the flying thing doesn't pan out.
Talk to someone about the Jackson Air Guard unit. I'd guess that every C-17 pilot that wants to go the airline route has an airline job. It's difficult for the civilian side to duplicate the training and operational experience your son would get.
Unfortunately, he has a mild gluten allergy, talking to some friends who are recruiters, a waiver for that is a long shot.

I agree, i encourage every young person who has pilot aspirations to go ANG.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
One of my nephews started out at USM and later transferred to an aviation school in Florida. He started off flying for COMAIR (Delta commuter flights) before getting into the corporate pilot sector. He flies for ENTERGY now and is pretty happy with them. He says corporate flying is better than commercial.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
One of my nephews started out at USM and later transferred to an aviation school in Florida. He started off flying for COMAIR (Delta commuter flights) before getting into the corporate pilot sector. He flies for ENTERGY now and is pretty happy with them. He says corporate flying is better than commercial.
I have done both. It is certainly a personal choice, but I have seen very few pilots leave a major airline (assuming there isn’t a furlough etc) to go back to corporate. The really good, stable corporate jobs are few and far between. If you can get one like your nephew, that is awesome, but most don’t compare to a Major with regards to schedule, pay and benefits.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I have two family members that became commercial pilots. both did the commercial aviation deal in college. One went the military route after college, and one didn't. The military route one led to a job with a major airline immediately out of the military (did NOT do 20 years). The other one had to work his way up through some pretty tough and low paying jobs to get there.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login