OT: Anybody cooked a Rib Roast in a Dutch Oven?

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
The Googles aren't giving me what I was thinking/hoping for.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I have not - only in the oven with a recipe that calls for turning the oven OFF for about 2 1/2 hrs after cooking at 400 for about an hour.
Very good recipe and turns out phenomenal but hard as hell cooking sides such as roasted néw potatoes, green beans and dressing.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I cook chuck roasts in a Dutch oven all the time but that’s far beyond what you want for a rib roast as far as internal temp. I have a buddy who cooks rib roasts in the oven all the time. He doesn’t use a Dutch oven but in a pan covered with foil so this would work. He preheats the oven to 500 degrees. Puts the roast in a pan and covers with foil and puts it in the oven. He immediately cuts the oven off. He says that the meat and the oven meet at 125-135 degrees. I’d monitor with a remote thermometer just in case because the size of the roast is going to have some impact on it.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I do mine on the Egg. I cook it indirect up to about 110-115 internal at around 325. I then take the roast off and remove the heat deflector and open everything up to get the Egg screaming hot. I then sear all sides over the flames up to 125-130. Then let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. If anyone wants it more done I’ll throw their slice back on the grill for a minute on both sides. This is usually our Christmas meal but I scored a prime brisket on sale a few weeks ago.

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I usually follow one of the Meatchurch recipes and smoke it. Out of necessity I've also smoked one on a $200 gas grill with pellets and a smoker tube. It was better than expected but not the real deal.

Use a good Worcestershire for a binder and baste. Cover with ground peppercorn that will help create bark. Season with your choice of seasoning (I use Holy Cow from Meatchurch). You can't really over season due to the way you serve the meat so be liberal with seasoning. Put in oven on 250 and drizzle the Worcestershire sauce every 30 minutes (helps with Bark building). Pull it out when the middle temps at 120. Put some stick butter slices on top tent with foil and let it wrest. 10-20 minutes you are ready to roll. Cut in the middle and serve middle cuts to medium rare fans and outer cuts to medium fans.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Went on a 3 day rafting trip last summer and the guide cooked tri tip in the dutch oven with coals from the fire on the top and below the dutch oven.

He seared the tri tip first then laid down a bed of onions and tater chunks so the tri tip was cooking indirect. It was amazing. The juice from the tri tip turned the potatoes and onions into an orgasmic concoction.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The Googles aren't giving me what I was thinking/hoping for.
If you do it, use some kind of rack or trivet in the bottom of the dutch oven to keep roast off the bottom to keep it from over cooking. If you don't have a rack or trivet wad up some foil and that will work.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I follow Serious Eats for most expensive cut kitchen recipes. I have done his rib roast recipe 2 years in a row for Christmas It has turned out real well both times. I followed his beef tenderloin and braised beef short rib as well. All have been great. Just make sure you have 5-6 hours to slow cook it and a thermometer to keep track of temp easily.

ETA: You use a roasting pan for this and almost all Prime Rib recipes I’ve found. I bought one for cheap at Walmart and it works fine. I had a hard time dropping serious cash on a pan I use once a year.

Reactions: dorndawg

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I've dutch oven'ed my wife.
Vice Tv Reaction GIF by STICK TO SPORTS

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
ETA: You use a roasting pan for this and almost all Prime Rib recipes I’ve found. I bought one for cheap at Walmart and it works fine. I had a hard time dropping serious cash on a pan I use once a year.
I did the same years ago, but I think I got mine at BB&B. I'll end up using it again this year, but the reason for the question is I'm getting a 7qt for Christmas and wanted to use it if I could.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I did the same years ago, but I think I got mine at BB&B. I'll end up using it again this year, but the reason for the question is I'm getting a 7qt for Christmas and wanted to use it if I could.
Look up Malcolm Reeds How To BBQ Right smoked Mississippi Pot Roast. It’s life changing and uses your Dutch oven.

Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I’m sure someone on the internet has done it. Might be hard to find though. If you want to use the Dutch oven I’d recommend trying the braised beef short rib. It’s phenomenal and pretty fool proof. Just get a good sous chef for all the chopping haha.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login