OT: Anybody got any good experiences with products restoring black plastic/trim on a vehicle?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've got a couple that need help and anything I've tried in the past looks ok/good for a couple days and then it fades and is gone and the plastic turns back to gray. I've heard good things about the "Bling Sauce" line of products and watched a few YouTube videos of people cleaning up boats with it and it looks great. They were also sponsored by Bling Sauce too so not totally trusting the results.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I've got a couple that need help and anything I've tried in the past looks ok/good for a couple days and then it fades and is gone and the plastic turns back to gray. I've heard good things about the "Bling Sauce" line of products and watched a few YouTube videos of people cleaning up boats with it and it looks great. They were also sponsored by Bling Sauce too so not totally trusting the results.

Got a friend who owns a body shop and he told me what to buy. I'll try to look tonight and find the name of it but I picked it up at a body shop supply store. There's no simple way to do this if you really want to restore it to look practically new. You essentially have to have a good cleaner and then utilize a polish (similar to a shoe polish applicator) and recolor it. I had an Avalanche and those things have a ton of plastic on them and it was oxidized badly. It was a job but once completed it looked almost new. It held up good for a while (12-18 mos) but you'll eventually have to repeat the process. If the vehicle isn't exposed to the elements and doesn't sit outside it will last a lot longer than mine did.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Turtle Wax Trim Restorer. I've used it for years.
That's the worst. Solution Finish is the best way I've found. It's got a black dye in it and I put it on, and then just rub a little oil or shine with a sun blocker in it ever so often and no problem. Lasts a good 2 years easy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login