OT: Anyone been to SE Asia/Thailand?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Yeth.

Face Tattoo in The Hangover: Part II to be Altered After Leaving Theaters |  pastapadre.com

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Any suggestions or recommendations would help.
In Bangkok take the tuk tuks and go see some Thai boxing. Try to get up to Chan Mei. Beautiful city and not as touristy. Pattaya is a beach town south of Bangkok that is wild and crazy, even for Thailand.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Only been to the airport in Bangkok but have been all over SE Asia. Where are you planning to visit?

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
Only been to the airport in Bangkok but have been all over SE Asia. Where are you planning to visit?
I’m taking my wife so I was thinking Phuket, Koh Samui. Maybe Cambodia/Vietnam for quick trips. I’ve been told to go to Bangkok for a day for the street markets.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
You're taking YOUR WIFE?! Well, that limits things...

If you're into elephants - care about them - visit Chaing Mai's Elephant Nature Park. They have a great elephant sanctuary and a great night market too. There's a good elephant sanctuary in Phuket too, but I've not been to it.

Don't ride an elephant- unless you really want to say you did. I did one of those elephant ride tours back in the 90s and I felt pretty rotten afterwards. You could see how they were being exploited.

Do the Grand Palace and the ancient city of Sukhothai and if you and your wife like old movies you can do the train ride on the Death Railway ('bridge on the river kwai') at Kanchanaburi. They also have a war cemetery with the graves of nearly 10,000 allied prisoners from WWII.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I’m taking my wife so I was thinking Phuket, Koh Samui. Maybe Cambodia/Vietnam for quick trips. I’ve been told to go to Bangkok for a day for the street markets.
If you can visit Singapore. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It is pricey. The drive from the airport to the city feels like you are going to Disneyworld because everything is so well groomed. The food is incredible as well.

MaroonOldCrow

Aug 22, 2012
If you can visit Singapore. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It is pricey. The drive from the airport to the city feels like you are going to Disneyworld because everything is so well groomed. The food is incredible as well.
This! Singapore is amazing.

As far as Thailand, there's a lot I don't remember and a lot I should probably forget. . .had my 23rd birthday in Pattaya.

Reactions: boatsandhoes

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Any suggestions or recommendations would help.

Thailand and SE Asia have some of if not THE most beautiful and magnificient ancient ruins on the planet. If feasible, I'd rent a car versus a tour bus IMO. When I drove all away across England & 1/2 way across Ireland I drove and could stop whenever I wanted to take pictures, visit a castle, or to just stop by a restaurant on my own relaxed schedule.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Just don't get drunk and stupid there though or you will get caned.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
"I’m taking my wife"
That's gotta be in the first post asking for advice on visiting Thailand.

• Haha
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Planning on keeping it straight and narrow, I guess nobody does that in Thailand.
Never been there; sure would like a chance. But Fo Realz, don't 17 up over there. Singapore will Cane Your A$$. Look it up. Bare A$$ED and scars are permanent. Most pass out from the pain before the final blow. Ain't Schittin' Ya.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I have performed in Thailand and visited Singapore.

In Thailand, never insult the monarch, learn to make the "thank you" gesture with your hands when saying thank you, and don't miss the opportunity to visit the various temples. Bangkok is a beautiful and historic city.

In Singapore, follow every rule to the letter. Do not litter, jaywalk, or otherwise cut a corner. I only had time to visit the Gardens by the Bay as I was there at the beginning of Covid. Our ship docked there after 2 weeks at sea with no place to land. We got in, I toured one attraction then got on a plane and came home. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10157850152865242&type=3 (scroll to bottom of album)

Politeness and respect are the key words for functioning effectively in these cultures.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Spent the summer before my senior year (2012) at state in Thailand. A lot has probably changed.

Ayutthaya (hour train ride north of Bangkok) has beautiful temples, and not crazy crowded and filthy like Bangkok. Spent my first week there teaching English.

Chiangmai is pretty far north, but the elephant and tiger sanctuaries were worth the trip. Ps I don’t care if they drugged the tigers, it was really awesome.

One night in Bangkok is all you need to catch a boxing fight and a wild as hell sex show(picture turtles and birds going places they do not belong). Maybe send the wife off for a spa treat or something for that outing. You could make a long day trip or overnight from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Really shady border crossing, but Angkor Wat is worth the $20 (2012 dollars) bribe for the smooth crossing.

Then head south to the islands. Pick your poison there. I chose Phuket, then after a few days of hard partying took a day-ferry to koh phi phi. That turned into a two-week booze and other thing filled haze on an island the size of the cotton district (damn I miss that feeling). Accidentally overstayed my visa (like a $50 fine) and made my way to Singapore, via Kuala Lumpur. Didn’t have any money left to enjoy those two cities, but they sure were nice.

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
My wife and I went five years ago and had a great time (even with my wife winding up in a hospital briefly). We did Bangkok for four days and Chiang Mai for three. Best decision we made was to use a company named Smiling Albino to provide guides. Awesome experience in both places, and I'm still in touch with our Chiang Mai guide. We did temples and a river tour, among other things, but the big reason for the trip was for my wife to celebrate her birthday riding elephants. There was a great sanctuary we visited in Chaing Mai, and they're known for the care of their elephants. My wife is a super animal advocate and didn't have any problems with it, although YMMV. I will say that riding an elephant without those platforms (which is even worse for them), will give your legs a workout you're never going to be prepared for.

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
Beaches and islands are beautiful and that area can be as much of a party as you want to make it. Phuket is a good spot to go. Bangkok has some good food and shopping but it’s a big city feel so I didn’t love it. I had some dress clothes made at Rajawonese (sp?) clothiers I’m Bangkok and that was worth it. We flew Bangkok to Chang Mai and did a three day guided backpacking trip that was a lot of fun but that type of thing isn’t for everyone.

I accidentally went through airport security in Bangkok with a knife in my backpack. That did not go well. Strongly advise you to not do that!

Jul 26, 2021
To be honest, I didn’t read all of this thread, but the fact of the matter is this place is amazing. We all love MSU, but the other topics are icing on the cake.

And, while I think it’d be really cool, I will probably die never visiting SE Asia.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login