OT: anyone ever rode Amtrack with little ones?

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
So we are looking to travel from Rochester to family in Mississippi, but airline travel is too much, especially with 4 children. Now, we are considering amtrak, but our youngest is two years old, so I don't think this is doable, especially with a 10 hour layover in Chicago going and 12 hour on the way back home. Anyone try this?

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
So we are looking to travel from Rochester to family in Mississippi, but airline travel is too much, especially with 4 children. Now, we are considering amtrak, but our youngest is two years old, so I don't think this is doable, especially with a 10 hour layover in Chicago going and 12 hour on the way back home. Anyone try this?
Last time my wife looked at prices, Amtrak was more expensive than flying. Wanted to go back to DC from Jackson at the time.

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
Children get pretty big discounts on Amtrak, none for flying.
No kids for us, just more money for the route. Loved traveling from Jackson to New Orleans with friends and later with her, just seems the pricing was outrageous last she checked to go up the east coast.

ETA: just noticed the Chicago waypoint, we were looking at the south to east coast.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Can't beat the safety and comfort of a bus

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I have a four year old and a three year old. There is no way I would take them on a train from New York to Mississippi. Y'all would be hearing about a train derailment in Pennsylvania because my two would've found a way cause it.

If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet and drive the 18 - 20 hours. At least you are somewhat in control then.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Took NOLA line from Jackson to DC via Chicago and back one time. If you’re going to do it, splurge and get the big berth. I.e….the one with its own *******. Having two little ones with the 2-man berths would probably make Dante come up with an additional level of hell to write about.
Note: I’m slightly cynical right now as it’s 0013 EST and I just wrapped up 14 hours at Disney world bouncing between Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You should either drive or fly. It's a two day drive each way, but you get a hotel room and have your own vehicle. A 12 hour layover for a train in Chicago with 4 kids sounds like a torture tactic the CIA would use to break a man.

If you don't want to spend the +/- $1000 more to fly, then you must Griswold that sucker. Amtrak is for old people or people that don't have cars and are slightly less poor than the Greyhound crowd.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
You should either drive or fly. It's a two day drive each way, but you get a hotel room and have your own vehicle. A 12 hour layover for a train in Chicago with 4 kids sounds like a torture tactic the CIA would use to break a man.

If you don't want to spend the +/- $1000 more to fly, then you must Griswold that sucker. Amtrak is for old people or people that don't have cars and are slightly less poor than the Greyhound crowd.

Yeah, what he said. No way I'd make that train trip with kids. And I can't see it being much cheaper than flying anyway.

My kids did the Acela from NY to Boston and loved it, but that's like a three hour trip. Dealing with stops and layovers across the country with kids would be brutal. At least if you drove you'd be in control.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I will add. The less than savory clientele that take trains might not be considered kid friendly, for the times you are on the viewing deck, meals etc.

And the train ride is long long long. Without any chance to get out of the train. Great for reading a novel and catching up on sleep in a sleeper if you have no where to be anytime soon. Young kids? Probably not.

Look for one way flights in the cities nearby where you are going. Might catch a deal and be able to get a rental car. I've found one way deals better than round trip on the same tickets lately. Otherwise, yes just buckle up and drive it.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I should have probably added that I am not sure if our van will make that far and back.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I was going to suggest Amtrak from NY to BWI and taking a non stop from BWI to JAN, but I see Rochester isn't close to NYC.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ve been on Amtrak from DC to Philadelphia with my daughter who was about 5 or 6 at the time. It was fine but a pretty quick trip.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login