OT: Anyone on here have Hemochromatosis or …

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
known anyone diagnosed with this blood disorder?
For those that don’t know it’s basically having too much iron in your blood.
It’s manageable from what I understand but there can be complications from it.
Any input, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I have a golfing buddy who has some kind of blood disorder, he produces too much of something but I’m not sure what. He has to give blood regularly or it starts affecting him He gets weak and feels bad if he doesn’t give blood. I know that zero help to you.

• Wow
Reactions: Anon1704414204

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I have a golfing buddy who has some kind of blood disorder, he produces too much of something but I’m not sure what. He has to give blood regularly or it starts affecting him He gets weak and feels bad if he doesn’t give blood. I know that zero help to you.
No, that sounds like this condition.
Thank you !
My 25 year old daughter was just diagnosed with it and unfortunately she got a chromosome from both me and her mother.
Typically you get only one if it’s hereditary.
It’s manageable by giving blood regularly but the number of foods and drink that have high Iron is incredible.
Vitamin C - very high in Iron.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I don’t think he has any dietary restrictions. He eats steak like crazy. He does have a fib but I don’t think it’s related.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
known anyone diagnosed with this blood disorder?
For those that don’t know it’s basically having too much iron in your blood.
It’s manageable from what I understand but there can be complications from it.
Any input, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I know someone. I don't know much about what he has to do but he seems to be doing well. I do know he has to have blood drawn regularly.

Bulldawg56

Mar 3, 2008
My business partner has it. He gives blood at least once a month and eats a can of chicken for lunch every day. He had to modify his diet and only eats food low in iron. He is 26 years older than I am, but he’s actually in way better shape physically because he goes to the gym every day. He manages it pretty well, but he has great self discipline and a routine that he strictly sticks to. He found out that he had it after complications from anesthesia for shoulder surgery, which almost killed him with hypothermia. After that happened, he made significant lifestyle changes and is pretty healthy now because he has a strict daily routine and diet.

• Wow
Reactions: patdog

Maroon Pug

Nov 5, 2022
I have hemochromatosis. It is good that you guys caught it so early.

Like other posters have said, giving blood regularly, somewhat helps, but asking for a blood test and requesting your TIBC and Ferritin levels results is the best indicator of if your body is holding to much iron (correct me if I'm wrong medical experts of SPS).

Being careful with your diet on consuming foods that hold iron in your body and it is easy to maintain and live a long healthy life. The issue becomes when you let it run wild and do nothing to prevent it, When your old and get a CT scan, your organs will look like rusted pots and pans, and its a painful way to go...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login