OT: Apple TV

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I “need” a Home Pod. Is Apple TV a decent replacement for Hulu? Otherwise I’ll just get an Amazon hub.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I have Firestick, Roku and Apple TV. Apple TV is my go to. Never have issues, I don't have to re-sign in ever. Don't load more than one Apple ID though. The Apple TV is much more expensive up front. $200ish vs $30ish.

Firesticks are prone to get stuck in a "loading loop," you may be able to fix it, but I get get another one when they go on special.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I “need” a Home Pod. Is Apple TV a decent replacement for Hulu? Otherwise I’ll just get an Amazon hub.
There’s no doubt the Apple TV is the premium option with access to all kinds of apps that you typically can’t find elsewhere, but you definitely pay a premium for it, so I guess it comes down to what you’re planning on doing with it. If it’s just to watch streaming, i don’t know that you’d be able to justify the price tag, and my two favorites for that are Roku and Chromecast. I’d probably give the slight advantage to chromecast due to the built in casting feature that can come in handy

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I have had an Apple TV for a very long time. It's great for your home-sharing Network, but I'm using my smart TV to switch between apps.

ETA - it's a Roku.

Last edited:

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Apple TV is my go to. Never have issues, I don't have to re-sign in ever. Don't load more than one Apple ID though.
That's interesting. We only have one, but with multiple phones on it. ~30 days every device in the house requires us to sign back in, and pesters you until you do (3x initially, then a repeated 3x request every so many hours).

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
That's interesting. We only have one, but with multiple phones on it. ~30 days every device in the house requires us to sign back in, and pesters you until you do (3x initially, then a repeated 3x request every so many hours).
that would suck.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I have the Onn Android TV (Walmart brand) I bought for my bedroom & it's actually my favorite. I have a firestick, & roku. I prefer the Onn (most user friendly). 4K is $30 & the HD is $15.

I also have an Apple tv box I paid $130 & rarely use it. The picture is great, but it's just not as user friendly & a bit cumbersome to find apps. Android TV is superior in that aspect IMO.

Reactions: Dawg1976

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've got a Roku TV, a Roku Ultra, a Fire Stick and an Apple. Roku Ultra is favorite followed by Roku TV. The Fire Stick is growing on me, I bought it on Black Friday last year for an outdoor TV with occasional use and the more I use it the more I like it even though it still confuses me. Makes me mad when it tells me to go to my Prime account on another device to delete an app, that's ridiculous. The apple is a dust collector, can't stand it. Overpriced and doesn't do anything I need that the others I have can't

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Honestly, I like Roku better than Apple TV. Having to sign back in regularly is annoying. It also locks up a couple of times a year.
Our two Roku's never have.
I had to sign in on Roku for ESPN games a couple weeks ago, but I'd not used it in at least 6 months. It only took a few seconds. I suppose their logic is that I could have dropped my provider with ESPN access during that time, so it makes sense.

May 7, 2006

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login