OT: Are we having a blood crisis

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
More than usual? I’m getting daily text messages from MS Blood services begging for my blood. They obviously don’t understand how much I drank over the holidays.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yes they are dangerously short in some places. I’m planning on donating next week especially since I’m Type O blood.

Len2003

May 13, 2018
Blood expires about a month after it's donated, so there is always a need. But it's been a lot worse with Covid.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
I'm a O neg so I try to donate at least kind of regularly, but I had an operation right after the first of this month so I'll have to wait a bit. At least every other time I donate they have to probe around to find the vein. I have decided that when I sign in I will insist on getting the most experienced sticker they have, even if I have to wait. Then if they still can't find it quickly I'll have to make a decision.

Michael Grove

Nov 28, 2016
Swamp dog you are so right, I’ve been fortunate to be able to donate for over 40 years & getting the best sticker is absolutely the key!! Everyone donate if you can , Covid has had a truly negative impact on the blood supply

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have a go to vein whenever I donate or get blood work. As soon as they start to look I point to it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm a O neg so I try to donate at least kind of regularly, but I had an operation right after the first of this month so I'll have to wait a bit. At least every other time I donate they have to probe around to find the vein. I have decided that when I sign in I will insist on getting the most experienced sticker they have, even if I have to wait. Then if they still can't find it quickly I'll have to make a decision.

I have A- so they liked me to donate on a regular basis. They would sometimes call me in MS to come in because I gave so often but I haven't been able because I have had several surgeries on my feet the past 4 years along with nice hospital stays with 2 lines of antibiotics going buuuut... I am meeting a new doctor this week and looks we have a separate surgery on each foot to just go ahead and eliminate the remains digits so I can go places again and maybe do things mostly normal. Maybe even come over for SBW... I kinda excited even though it may sound somewhat morbid.

Mar 3, 2008
O- here. They pretty much put a spigot in me. Last two times I gave I got sick. Funny thing is they just gave me a barf bag and some ice packs and keep on pumping.

Rayburn8

Feb 26, 2013
I should probably go donate. Use to every time I saw the bus in front of the union at State. Haven’t done it since I graduated.

Even tho I’m the common A+, my iron content is high enough that they do that plasma splitting or whatever it is Crap that takes 45 minutes but they get A LOT more blood from it.

Only reason I get texts I assume is they can do that with me, maybe Someone else knows what it is called.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login