OT: Ask the Pack Caribbean Vacation

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Okay guys, so I’m thinking about surprising my wife with a trip in September for about a week. We are both always so busy with our jobs and the kids that we never have time for ourselves. So I started browsing on Sandals’ website yesterday and was surprised at how affordable these trips are, relatively speaking. I have never been to an all-inclusive resort before. Do you all have any recommendations?

Second part of the question. I ran this idea by my friend and former business partner, who is female, and she thought that the surprise aspect was terrible. She knows my wife, and her rationale was that women need to take time to get into “swimsuit shape.” While I understand that, my wife and I (no pics) are both in reasonably good shape. I want to surprise her. What do you think?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Okay guys, so I’m thinking about surprising my wife with a trip in September for about a week. We are both always so busy with our jobs and the kids that we never have time for ourselves. So I started browsing on Sandals’ website yesterday and was surprised at how affordable these trips are, relatively speaking. I have never been to an all-inclusive resort before. Do you all have any recommendations?

Second part of the question. I ran this idea by my friend and former business partner, who is female, and she thought that the surprise aspect was terrible. She knows my wife, and her rationale was that women need to take time to get into “swimsuit shape.” While I understand that, my wife and I (no pics) are both in reasonably good shape. I want to surprise her. What do you think?
I like the surprise aspect. Your wife probably isn’t going to change her physique just for a trip. When I’ve surprised my wife with something like this, it always turns out really well for me.
I’ve done Sandals Ochi recently. It’s in Jamaica and it’s their cheapest one. I liked it but liked Caribbean cruising better. That’s probably just a preference. Seems you either love cruising or you don’t.
I’ve done cheaper all inclusives and they sucked. You won’t be disappointed with Sandals. If you decide you are going to Sandlas Ochi, I can give you some specific recommendations that will save money based off things I paid for that I don’t think were worth it. Other people I spoke with that have done multiple Sandals all said St Lucia was their favorite.

Reactions: 11thEagleFan

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Pics of the “business partner”?

We were supposed to do an Excellence resort in Jamaica in 2021, but Covid squashed that and rerouted us to Excellence in Punta Cana. I wish we could have done the Jamaica one because it looked fabulous and was close to a bioluminescent bay. Definitely kayak a bioluminescent bay if near one; it’s pretty amazing. The Excellence Punta Cana was very nice, so I recommend those properties.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Compromise on the surprise aspect. Tell her you are going on a week long trip that involves swimsuits and beaches but don't tell her where.

And my wife and I have taken several trips through vacationexpress.com and always been pleased.

My son and new DIL spent their honeymoon this summer at the Excellence resort in Jamaica that SyonaraStanz references above and they thought it was outstanding.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

If you both have jobs and you have kids, I don't know how it's possible to surprise her. If we don't have stuff calendared months in advance, very unlikely we can keep our schedule clear.

With regard to all inclusives, Sandals guarantees a minimum level of quality. Even at that quality, much of the food sucks although every Sandals resort will have some good food on it. And you typically pay a pretty good premium for that. If you can get a recommendation from somebody you trust, you can probably get somewhere as nice as sandals for a lower price. The last time we booked an all inclusive, which has unfortunately been a while, we actually used a travel agent and she basically recommended places her clients had been based on feedback she had gotten from them, and we got somewhere just a step below a lower end Sandals for about half the price. Even then, if we hadn't had somebody we knew personally that had gone there, we might would have hesitated just taking the travel agents rec b/c I have no clue which resorts give better cuts to travel agents. She seemed to be straight up though based on what we could check.

The only other thing I would say is check on whether sargassum will be a problem in September wherever you go. Have had some friends basically pay to go hang out at a hotel pool in Mexico or the Caribbean because the beach was covered in it.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I've never been to The Caribbean or Key West but I've always wondered how those places stack up to Tampa, Destin, etc... regarding water clarity. I like to swim out to where it drops off with goggles and fins and a short spear and knife in case a shark 17's with me. I've never scuba dived so that's on my bucket list too. If I were to scuba dive, I'd like it to be in a coral reef so I guess that means I'd hafta go to The Caribbean?

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Dawg

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
I've never been to The Caribbean or Key West but I've always wondered how those places stack up to Tampa, Destin, etc... regarding water clarity. I like to swim out to where it drops off with goggles and fins with a short spear and knife in case a shark 17's with me. I've never scuba dived so that's on my bucket list too. If I were to scuba dive, I'd like it to be in a coral reef so I guess that means I'd hafta go to The Caribbean?
The Ross Barnett is to Destin as Destin is to the Caribbean

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Darkhorse suggestion- Belize.

Ambergris Caye is an island a few miles off the mainland and has a ton of resorts that are not at all like the huge resorts typically associated with the Caribbean.
- Golf carts are the only thing allowed on the island and it is super easy to get around.
- On the eastern side you have the 2nd longest barrier reef in the world and a ton of snorkeling/scuba opportunities. On the western side you have clear shallow water that is seemingly endless.
- The island is built up on the south and quickly goes to straight up native within a few minutes of cart driving. It is very much still undeveloped overall.
- A quick flight to the mainland gets you to day tours of the country. We got to walk on Mayan ruins on the border of Guatemala(no walking on them in fancy elitist Mexico!), went river tubing thru a massive cave network, and ziplined over the jungle. There are a ton of other things too.
- English is official language.
- Currency is simple- 1 USD = 2 BZD.
- There are a ton of ex-pats on the island and endless food stands, restaurants, markets, etc to roll up to and get a meal.
- The pampered/relaxation thing definitely exists too, if wanted.

Further South in the country are Punta Gorda and Dangriga which have resorts in between that are very remote feeling, if thats appealing.

We go for vacations where you are getting out of the room/resort so this was a definite win.
If you are looking for 5* all inclusive endless drinks where you never leave the property, it wouldnt be ideal.

As for the surprise- 17 that. Tell her something. At least tell her the general temp and feeling so she can prepare and pack. Not knowing where until you get to the airport could be cool, but you gotta give at least minimal info.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I’m in Grand Cayman now hot as balls. All my wife wants to do is lay on the beach. I’m bored. I would not surprise her. Let her in on the planning and picking. Don’t go cheap the food sucks and the service is sh$& …

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
she thought that the surprise aspect was terrible
I've planned a ton of beach trips and if I'd ever surprised my wife with one she might've refused to go.

And also speaking from experience.. if you're planning a Caribbean trip anywhere in September just make sure it's fully refundable. ....There's a reason those dates are so cheap.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017

Ambergris Caye is an island a few miles off the mainland and has a ton of resorts that are not at all like the huge resorts typically associated with the Caribbean.
- Golf carts are the only thing allowed on the island and it is super easy to get around.
- On the eastern side you have the 2nd longest barrier reef in the world and a ton of snorkeling/scuba opportunities. On the western side you have clear shallow water that is seemingly endless.
- The island is built up on the south and quickly goes to straight up native within a few minutes of cart driving. It is very much still undeveloped overall.
- A quick flight to the mainland gets you to day tours of the country. We got to walk on Mayan ruins on the border of Guatemala(no walking on them in fancy elitist Mexico!), went river tubing thru a massive cave network, and ziplined over the jungle. There are a ton of other things too.
- There are a ton of ex-pats on the island and endless food stands, restaurants, markets, etc to roll up to and get a meal.

Further South in the country are Punta Gorda and Dangriga which have resorts in between that are very remote feeling, if thats appealing.

We go for vacations where you are getting out of the room/resort so this was a definite win.
If you are looking for 5* all inclusive endless drinks where you never leave the property, it wouldnt be ideal.

As for the surprise- 17 that. Tell her something. At least tell her the general temp and feeling so she can prepare and pack. Not knowing where until you get to the airport could be cool, but you gotta give at least minimal info.

Another one here for Belize. I go every couple of years to chase permit with a fly rod. The wife and I just booked another trip for this summer in Placencia (southern part of the country). She doesn't know that it is the peak of the tarpon migration so I've already booked a guide for a few days. If you want a laid back trip Hopkins Village still has the old fishing village feel with a few nice resorts. If you want remote look into Turneffe Atoll, Coco Plum Cay or Thatch Cay

One thing to keep in mind, check airfare prices before you book. Pre-covid you could fly down there for about $500-600 but now on delta you are looking at $1,300 and about $900 on other airlines.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We’ve been all over the Caribbean. Aruba is hands down our favorite. Clean, feels safe Natalie Holloway and all, nobody trying to const trying to sell/scam you. Food was good. Belize is one place we hav been but it’s on our list.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I've planned a ton of beach trips and if I'd ever surprised my wife with one she might've refused to go.

And also speaking from experience.. if you're planning a Caribbean trip anywhere in September just make sure it's fully refundable. ....There's a reason those dates are so cheap.
Lots of good replies in this thread. And yeah, I’ll admit that only this morning did hurricane season occur to me. I picked September because it’s the time that just works best, but it could 17 up the whole idea.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015

Belize is fantastic. We went about 9 years ago (has it really been that long?). But for anyone reading the thread, I second everything posted above.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I can echo several things people have said. I live on Roatan, Honduras.

1- sargassum is a problem for us right now. Definitely want to check this wherever you end up because it can be an issue, it ruins trolling charters.

2- Roatan is on the same reef structure starting in Belize and is amazing if you're into diving or snorkeling.

3- I've never done the all inclusive where you never have to leave the property. Our all inclusives are decent but none have the level of entertainment and activities where you never leave. They generally run between 80-150 per person per day. There are plenty of activities really close by just not on the resort property and not included in price.

4- sept is great weather wise, not too hot not too rainy BUT, hurricanes. Generally in Belize roatan area we don't get hurricanes until later like oct Nov and while they are generally weaker they'll still ruin your vacation.

5- regarding the surprise aspect, it's still a surprise if you do it a month out. My wife would have an anxiety attack if I gave her less than a month to plan. Of course if you go to a never leave all inclusive there's not much planning needed so less time might be ok.

If anyone ever plans a trip here let me know and I'll be glad to help out.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
If you both have jobs and you have kids, I don't know how it's possible to surprise her. If we don't have stuff calendared months in advance, very unlikely we can keep our schedule clear.

With regard to all inclusives, Sandals guarantees a minimum level of quality. Even at that quality, much of the food sucks although every Sandals resort will have some good food on it. And you typically pay a pretty good premium for that. If you can get a recommendation from somebody you trust, you can probably get somewhere as nice as sandals for a lower price. The last time we booked an all inclusive, which has unfortunately been a while, we actually used a travel agent and she basically recommended places her clients had been based on feedback she had gotten from them, and we got somewhere just a step below a lower end Sandals for about half the price. Even then, if we hadn't had somebody we knew personally that had gone there, we might would have hesitated just taking the travel agents rec b/c I have no clue which resorts give better cuts to travel agents. She seemed to be straight up though based on what we could check.

The only other thing I would say is check on whether sargassum will be a problem in September wherever you go. Have had some friends basically pay to go hang out at a hotel pool in Mexico or the Caribbean because the beach was covered in it.
Good call on the sargassum. That and hurricane season are going to give me some pause. As for the surprise aspect, I know the CEO at my wife’s job, so I was planning on giving him a call and letting him know what I’m planning so that the week in September is free for her. Lots of good suggestions in the thread though. I think I’ll compromise and tell her that we’re leaving for a week in august or September and to be ready for warm weather and a beach destination.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you're taking a very big risk if you surprise her with something that big. There's a decent chance it could go very badly. I mean, really really bad. Discuss it with her and plan it together.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

When I wanna surprise my wife with an event but be able to schedule it, I just call it a "Calendar hold" on our calendar. Works pretty well for us.

As far as Caribbean, only a couple experiences for me. Did a middle of the road all inclusive in Montego Bay Jamaica. Had fun, but the water there was on par with Gulf Shores: acceptable but not amazing. My other time was in the Exumas in Bahamas. I didn't know water could actually look that beautiful. In a house, not all inclusive in this one; it was fun, but kinda like being in a small Delta town amenities-wise. A handful of solid seafood restaurants, small grocery store, a liquor store, and that was about it.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I can echo several things people have said. I live on Roatan, Honduras.
Wow- super cool. We looked into going there in 2018...ended up in Belize.
Not to hijack too far, but what led you to Roatan?

I geek on the geography and history of the Caribbean.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’m in Grand Cayman now hot as balls. All my wife wants to do is lay on the beach. I’m bored. I would not surprise her. Let her in on the planning and picking. Don’t go cheap the food sucks and the service is sh$& …
Casa 43, thank me later

Reactions: Yeti

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020

Definitely

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I've never been to The Caribbean or Key West but I've always wondered how those places stack up to Tampa, Destin, etc... regarding water clarity. I like to swim out to where it drops off with goggles and fins and a short spear and knife in case a shark 17's with me. I've never scuba dived so that's on my bucket list too. If I were to scuba dive, I'd like it to be in a coral reef so I guess that means I'd hafta go to The Caribbean?
There is a large coral reef just off the Fl Keys that many people dive at. But it's a long walk across a mud flat to get to it if you don't have a boat. As in you won't make it.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Wow- super cool. We looked into going there in 2018...ended up in Belize.
Not to hijack too far, but what led you to Roatan?

I geek on the geography and history of the Caribbean.

I run a non profit medical clinic on the poor end of the island. Been in Honduras for 8 years, the opportunity for the clinic was presented to us so we moved to the island 1 1/2 years ago.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The water clarity will be better than Destin I assume anywhere you go in the Caribbean that is a popular area. Jamaica water wasn't prettier where we were as it didn't have the turquoise blue coloring. Sitting on the beach, you could have thought you were in gulf shores, but then you go into the water and you have 25 feet of visibility. Of the other few places I've been, the water was better in every respect than the clearest and prettiest day I've ever seen at Destin.

ETA: If you want a coral reef dive without leaving the country, check out the Flower Garden Banks. Have not done it but it's on my list.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Wherever you go, just make sure there is a good kitchen for her to make sammies.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I have been to Sandals South Coast in Jamaica. It was a great resort and away from the crowds. It is very private. If I was going to Jamaica it would be where I would stay. I have had friends that have stayed at Sandals Royal Bahamian and loved it.
We have also been to Margaritaville in Saint Thomas. It was not all inclusive, but was one of the best resorts.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I run a non profit medical clinic on the poor end of the island. Been in Honduras for 8 years, the opportunity for the clinic was presented to us so we moved to the island 1 1/2 years ago.
You get the SPS Poster of the Day award.
Very cool story.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Yall must have some high maintenance wives. If I told mine we were going to the beach for a week I better have the front door open and the car cranked. It would take her about 15 minutes to pack and she'd beat me out the door
It's not high maintenance at all, just got a lotta sh_t going on.

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yall must have some high maintenance wives. If I told mine we were going to the beach for a week I better have the front door open and the car cranked. It would take her about 15 minutes to pack and she'd beat me out the door
But if you tell her in advance, you might get some benefits at home beforehand and then on the trip too!

Reactions: Dawgg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

I agree with the “surprise” part.
Great idea in our minds - not so great in their minds.
Not only swimsuit shape but what to pack, items in case it’s cool in the mornings, late evenings, different clothes for day vs going to dinner at night, pre-trip tanning, nails done, etc.
Lot of stuff for the female variety to sort out and get approval from other girl friends, humble brags etc.
With that said, been to Cayman Islands 3 times and would go back.
Look at St Lucia and Martinique as well.

Reactions: 11thEagleFan

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
But if you tell her in advance, you might get some benefits at home beforehand and then on the trip too!
Here’s my plan as of now, based on input from SPS (yes, I’m serious). I’m going to tell her that we’re going on a trip in either August or September, but to be prepared for warm weather and expect to pack a few swimsuits. I’m going to call her boss and her assistant and let them know of my plans, so that she can take off work and not have to worry. I know both of them so it won’t be a weird overstep. Then, a day or two before the trip, I’m going to tell her to pack. She won’t know the destination until the airport. When she asks about work, I’m going to tell her it’s taken care of. Who’s going to watch the kids? Taken care of.

Basically, I want her to be so smitten with her husband of a decade plus that a BJ on the way to the airport isn’t out of the question. What can I say? I’m a bit of an old school romantic.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Here’s my plan as of now, based on input from SPS (yes, I’m serious). I’m going to tell her that we’re going on a trip in either August or September, but to be prepared for warm weather and expect to pack a few swimsuits. I’m going to call her boss and her assistant and let them know of my plans, so that she can take off work and not have to worry. I know both of them so it won’t be a weird overstep. Then, a day or two before the trip, I’m going to tell her to pack. She won’t know the destination until the airport. When she asks about work, I’m going to tell her it’s taken care of. Who’s going to watch the kids? Taken care of.

Basically, I want her to be so smitten with her husband of a decade plus that a BJ on the way to the airport isn’t out of the question. What can I say? I’m a bit of an old school romantic.
1678824237936.png

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login