OT - Ask the Pack: Home Air Purifiers

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I have a 14 year old home that is spray foamed, so the heated/cooled "envelope" includes the attic(s). I've been very pleased with the energy efficiency, but there is one negative. Any smell in the house tends to linger longer than normal because house is sealed so well. The worst part is that, if a mouse dies in the attic, the whole house gets stinky before I can get rid of the source.

I've been dragging my feet on finding a solution because nothing really jumps out from an odor eliminating standpoint. Typical home air purifiers seem to target air cleanliness more than odors. They are also pretty expensive over the long term because of the cost of the filters.

I’ve been leaning towards making a Corsi-Rosenthal filter using a box fan and activated carbon filters.

There’s also ozone generators, but those can be dangerous and have to used very carefully.

Does anyone have any good ideas or suggestions?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Check out a HRV system. My house is almost passive. If we cut on the vent hood in the kitchen, the bathroom fart fans start turning backwards.

We also do not have a forced air heating cooling system. I have hydronic heat running through the floors and a couple of mini splits for cooling bedrooms.

With our HRV we set it at 40% humidity. Without an HRV we would get really humid inside and the air gets stale .. and boy do my farts linger.

It kicks on and exchanges the air in the house, but captures the heat (or cold) from the indoor air in the exchanger and conditions the incoming air with that recovered energy. Not expensive and super efficient and effective.

1000012646.jpg
ETA:

I'm in a cold climate so we use an HRV. In a warm humid environment you want an ERV.

Lennox ERV site

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login