OT: Auburn area nice place to move?

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I might have an opportunity to move to that area. It would be nice to move to closer to family, but I am curious if any of you are familiar with the area?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Wife had a job opportunity in that area a few years ago and we researched it fairly in-depth. Nice area , we liked it. A lot of nice smaller towns within driving range of Auburn. We probably would have ended up in or around the Lake Martin area had she taken the job but she ultimately decided to stay put. Reasonable distance to the beaches and a reasonable drive to the Atlanta airport if thats something important to you. I even liked the local Auburn fans that we met.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah it's alright, as far as small towns go. Bigger version of Starkville/Columbus with a few more things.

Me personally, I would not like being there if not an Auburn fan. That's pretty much the same for any college town that's not a huge city. They do a pretty good job of the area revolving around the university. Just don't get sucked into the Auburn vortex.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Bowdawg

Jan 8, 2023
I don't think I could live in the same town as another conference rival.
I moved to Baton Rouge 6 months ago. While not a huge fan of the city, the LSU folks are great. It’s ways better than living with Buckeye fans in Columbus, OH. That’s where we moved from and they are insufferable. Lived in Indianapolis prior to that and no joke the Purdue folks were essentially as bad as the Ohio State folks with zero winning tradition to back it up. Especially when basketball came around. You would think they won the national championship every year.

Oh and if you didn’t know, Purdue basketball fans tears taste like Unicorn Steaks rolled in Mana from Heaven!! I highly suggest finding a bar if you are near Indy or West Lafayette during the Boilermakers March Madness annnual implosion
and enjoying this gift from God!!

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I moved to Baton Rouge 6 months ago. While not a huge fan of the city, the LSU folks are great. It’s ways better than living with Buckeye fans in Columbus, OH. That’s where we moved from and they are insufferable. Lived in Indianapolis prior to that and no joke the Purdue folks were essentially as bad as the Ohio State folks with zero winning tradition to back it up. Especially when basketball came around. You would think they won the national championship every year.

Oh and if you didn’t know, Purdue basketball fans tears taste like Unicorn Steaks rolled in Mana from Heaven!! I highly suggest finding a bar if you are near Indy or West Lafayette during the Boilermakers March Madness annnual implosion
and enjoying this gift from God!!
I was thinking Baton Rouge might be the exception. It's big enough that LSU doesn't just dominate the town like the schools in the smaller towns do. I have a client down there so I'm there for about 3-4 nights every year. I enjoy it. I'm actually going down there next week.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Admittedly I’ve only been there once but I think it’s my favorite SEC road game destination. Loved it there when we went. Didn’t hurt that we were there for the 2021 football game with the crazy comeback win.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nashville's not been too bad....
I think similar to Baton Rouge, it's big enough the university doesn't dominate the town. Even more so in Nashville. I imagine you would barely know Vanderbilt is even there most days.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Admittedly I’ve only been there once but I think it’s my favorite SEC road game destination. Loved it there when we went. Didn’t hurt that we were there for the 2021 football game with the crazy comeback win.
Same here, except is was the wild 18-16 comeback win in 1999.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Auburn is nice. Friends live there (Auburn itself as well as the Lake Martin area).

Their Target also finally opened last year.

I like Waverly. Standard Deluxe is a good place to see some good music. I wish I could go to their Old 280 Boogie next month but I have other plans. Maybe I can make it there next year.

Reactions: Dawg84

patdog

May 28, 2007
Was that the year Wyatt threw a late TD to win and the ball went through the arms of all 11 defenders and none of them actually touched it?
Yep. He came off the bench & won the game. It was crazy. We got a late safety somehow just before the final TD and I had lost track of points. I was thinking we had tied the game, but we had won it.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was thinking Baton Rouge might be the exception. It's big enough that LSU doesn't just dominate the town like the schools in the smaller towns do. I have a client down there so I'm there for about 3-4 nights every year. I enjoy it. I'm actually going down there next week.
Nashville's not been too bad....
I think similar to Baton Rouge, it's big enough the university doesn't dominate the town. Even more so in Nashville. I imagine you would barely know Vanderbilt is even there most days.
Nashville is not even close to being considered a college town. It's got some college areas, like Atlanta (not SEC but you get the point) and others. Cities like that are almost their own states, not to mention TN and GA are just overall ahead of others in the SEC as far as state development (except maybe FL, but Gainesville/Tallahassee are smaller). Go to Miami, Tampa or Orlando and it's comparable.

Baton Rouge, on the other hand, is big, but still very much Louisiana and LSU. Same with Lexington, Knoxville, Columbia (both) and even Austin still, though that may be changing. But still, Austin is a far cry from Houston or DFW, which would compare more favorably to Atlanta or Nashville.

I do get the point though. I just think there is an inflection point where you rise above the surrounding 'local' flavor and become a melting pot. I'm not sure BR is there yet, hell I don't really know that New Orleans is.

Reactions: patdog

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
If they would widen I-85 between Auburn and Montgomery I would move there in an instant. It's booming right now. Almost no crime, great schools, and they even have a Buc-ee's.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If they would widen I-85 between Auburn and Montgomery I would move there in an instant. It's booming right now. Almost no crime, great schools, and they even have a Buc-ee's.
I wouldn’t mind it at all if I-85 was extended all the way to I-20/59.

US 80 in Alabama could be a lot better.

It’s horrible enough that Google maps directs me to go by way of Mobile if I’m going from Hattiesburg to Auburn.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I wouldn’t mind it at all if I-85 was extended all the way to I-20/59.

US 80 in Alabama could be a lot better.

It’s horrible enough that Google maps directs me to go by way of Mobile if I’m going from Hattiesburg to Auburn.
That extension has been in the works for a few years. Knowing ALDOT, your hearse and mine might be able to drive it. Because we won't live to see it.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I might have an opportunity to move to that area. It would be nice to move to closer to family, but I am curious if any of you are familiar with the area?

Aren't you in Rochester, NY? If so, moving to the Auburn area would be fantastic. I've only been there once, but it's a nice town that has a pretty health growth rate. Not far to Atlanta either for access to the world's busiest airport.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't think I could live in the same town as another conference rival.
I'm about to see what that's like. I can tell you a couple years ago when we won the baseball World Series I hung it up I Mississippi State flag on the house. When I came out the next day I found it torn up and broken on the ground.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm about to see what that's like. I can tell you a couple years ago when we won the baseball World Series I hung it up I Mississippi State flag on the house. When I came out the next day I found it torn up and broken on the ground.

ETA Austin isn't really like college town anymore either but somebody said Nashville wasn't. I live out in the suburbs though there's a lot more college fever in these areas.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If this sort of thing happens, then the city has not hit the inflection point I was talking about earlier.

CottonDog_

Sep 29, 2022
It’s a nice place to live and raise a family. I’ve been surprised how often I see other State tags riding around town. Heck we aren’t even the only State grads in our Sunday school class. Pretty easy to find a common bond in hating Bama and OM too.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Same here, except is was the wild 18-16 comeback win in 1999.
Yes sir.
I left that game in the 3rd Qrt when Terrell Grindle fumbled going across the middle after a pass reception and we were down like 15-3 or some crazy score that we had like a snow balls chance in hell of winning.
When I got to my car, I turned on the radio and like a dubmass, was listening to the final 10 minutes of the game waiting on my Auburn fan brother-in-law to make it back to the car.
When he walked up not long after we scored the go ahead TD and he saw me jumping up and down outside the car, the look on his face was priceless bc he left early bc he felt bad that I was miserable and waiting on him to finish out the game and to see AU beat us. He still talks about that today and how he was stunned to find out Auburn blew that game.
17-em !!!

Reactions: patdog

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I spent 9 months there last year, I really liked the area.

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
Yes, Auburn pretty cool…it is a big, little city, and within easy driving range to Atlanta and the Gulf. I love visiting, especially when we play there. My cousin and his wife just opened “The Botanic” two years ago. Very cool restaurant, bar, and event venue. She is also “the” Chicken Salad Chick.

Reactions: DawgInThe256

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Yes, Auburn pretty cool…it is a big, little city, and within easy driving range to Atlanta and the Gulf. I love visiting, especially when we play there. My cousin and his wife just opened “The Botanic” two years ago. Very cool restaurant, bar, and event venue. She is also “the” Chicken Salad Chick.
I haven’t been to Botanic yet but hear great things about it and Mrs D@A is itching to go. The only bad part about it is that it brings back memories of the Cock of the Walk which was on that site for many years.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I can’t say much about living there, but it was always my 2nd favorite town to visit for road games (only behind Athens).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login