OT: backpacking recommendations

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I want to get into backpacking. So far I have only gone a couple of times, consisting of one night on the trail, an in-and-out trip of about 5 miles each way, but never solo. I want to increase my mileage and number of nights on the trail. I'm fine with going solo. I'm thinking about 3 day/2 night east Tennessee, north Georgia, or North Carolina to start, and if all goes well eventually taking some trips out west increasing my mileage and days.

Any recommendations regarding location or anything else? I have most of the gear, I think, to get started.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I want to get into backpacking. So far I have only gone a couple of times, consisting of one night on the trail, an in-and-out trip of about 5 miles each way, but never solo. I want to increase my mileage and number of nights on the trail. I'm fine with going solo. I'm thinking about 3 day/2 night east Tennessee, north Georgia, or North Carolina to start, and if all goes well eventually taking some trips out west increasing my mileage and days.

Any recommendations regarding location or anything else? I have most of the gear, I think, to get started.
Road to nowhere trailhead has lots of options.

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021

Get this book from Amazon:
1704143127041.jpeg

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I've only been out west and most stuff is 7 ro 10 miles per day.
4 pass loop, in Aspen , is great and doesn't require permits. 7 miles per day for 4 days but high elevation.
3 sisters in Bend, Or, is good stuff
Anything in Glacier is excellent but permits are hard to get.

Grand Tetons are awesome and permits are fairly hard to get, but here is my latest discovery... permits open up early January and are all gone in about 5 minutes. September is easier to get. So log in and get 2 nights in the north fork cascade canyon. It's 8 miles to the camp area. On day 2, hike up to the pass and see paintbrush canyon, then return to camp and hike out next day. Or... get another 2 nights at south fork cascade and do the day hike to base of middle teton. The point is, if you just get 1 site for 2 nights, it's quick and better odds of getting in. It's amazing there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240101_153544_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_153544_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My buddy Jon has a backpacking youtube channel. He does a lot of gear videos. Here's one he did recently on beginner solo gear if you want to cross reference your gear. No help on trails back east, but when your ready Stanley/Sawtooth's have 700+ miles of amazing backpacking trails. I'll tag along on that one.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
My buddy Jon has a backpacking youtube channel. He does a lot of gear videos. Here's one he did recently on beginner solo gear if you want to cross reference your gear. No help on trails back east, but when your ready Stanley/Sawtooth's have 700+ miles of amazing backpacking trails. I'll tag along on that one.

LFG

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
Try the Standing Indian Mountain loop on the Appalachian Trail. 3 day, 2 night hike with great views and challenging features. It's situated on the NC/GA line and relatively easy to find. You begin the hike as you leave your vehicle and end it squarely where you are parked. One of my favorite quick trips.

Reactions: NTDawg

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003

The Art Loeb Trail near Brevard, NC is legendary and pretty tough. Easily a 3 day hike the whole way.

I did the segment of Art Loeb from Camp Daniel Boone to Black Balsam this past summer and the first day from the camp to our overnight in Flower Gap was the toughest thing I've done since running a marathon. The trail is an additional 9 miles beyond Camp Daniel Boone which we didn't do.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This is what you're looking for: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/gps-2021-01-12-024859-a376033?u=i. North of Chattanooga. 30 miles with decent elevation changes. Challenging trail. We hit the trail head at noon (driving up from Jxn), spent two nights on the trail and got to the ending point at noon, so two full days or so. It's a challenging route and not marked well, so you will need to practice some woodmanship.

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Nice,

thanks. If anyone is looking to do any backpack hunting out west, they need to be taking advice about gear from these type guys.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008

Personal protection. 45acp preferred.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
The start appalachian trail in east tn is some of the hardest hiking on that trail itself. If you want to get conditioned, walk the Vicksburg military park. It has the topography needed to train for more difficult hiking.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
That’s something that I would like to do eventually.
Yeah man. Go backpacking and take a bow with you just in case. You can have a good time in amazing places. So different than hunting over hear.

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
Id try a few 20 mile loops around the Smokys. This will ease you into it. It can be lots of fun.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
A good 1 night intermediate hike in the NC/East TN area is from Fontana Dam to Clingman's Dome in the TN smokies along the AT trail. You can drive up to Fontana on the Tail of the Dragon from Maryville, just south of Knoxville. I do this one every couple of years, not to bad busy.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

scdog1

Sep 15, 2012

I highly recommend Clingman's Dome loop in the Smokey Mountains. But if you really want to go out I suggest going to Colorado and hitting the Sangre De Cristo mountain range. Great high lake fishing, some class 1's and class 3's.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
For a trial I recommend the Pinhoti Trail near Sylacauga, Al. Appalachian Trail like conditions with great support from the local community. I've done 85 miles of it and it's comparable terrain to the 330 miles I've done north bound on the AT.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
I live here in northwest Arkansas and I’ve been on these buffalo river trails a lot. I think anyone interesting in hiking or backpacking would love this area. 200 foot waterfall, amazing scenery, great smallmouth fishing, tons of options for canoeing or kayaking as well. Elk to watch in Boxley valley and a lot of other trailheads in the area for other great hikes.
https://www.buffaloriver.com/hiking/buffalo-river-trail/

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
I live here in northwest Arkansas and I’ve been on these buffalo river trails a lot. I think anyone interesting in hiking or backpacking would love this area. 200 foot waterfall, amazing scenery, great smallmouth fishing, tons of options for canoeing or kayaking as well. Elk to watch in Boxley valley and a lot of other trailheads in the area for other great hikes.
https://www.buffaloriver.com/hiking/buffalo-river-trail/
NWA is on my list of places to hike, but it's hard not to spend the little time I get there on my mountain bike.

Reactions: NWADog

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
The Sipsey Wilderness in the Bankhead National Forest in northwest Alabama is about the prettiest place in the Deep South that I've ever been. We've been backpacking the area since the mid 1980s and she's still a beauty.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
You didn't say where you're located, but we spent a lot of time backpacking and rock-climbing in the Sipsey wilderness area in Alabama when I was at State - I think it was only an hour or so from Starkville. I haven't' been in years but its basically Appalachian foothills from what I remember. Really beautiful, lots of streams and limestone walls, and pretty much nobody around. We'd do 3 day loops through it during spring break,

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
The Sipsey Wilderness in the Bankhead National Forest in northwest Alabama is about the prettiest place in the Deep South that I've ever been. We've been backpacking the area since the mid 1980s and she's still a beauty.
Here is your answer for a beginner experience that is reasonably close and not complicated. Wilderness area, which means no 17n permits. Easy access, easy parking, well marked trails, go wherever the hell you want, set up camp wherever the hell you want, if you want a fire, build a 17n fire. Old growth forested, decent wildlife/raptors/a few wild hogs, significant owl population. Really good beginner immersion experience.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
I recommend carrying some type of satellite communicator/SOS unit. The latest i-phone or a Garmin Inreach or similar. I personally use the Garmin Inreach Mini2 because I do longish (week or two) trips alone and my better half likes being able to track my progress or reach me if I have no cell service. Linked to my phone it is my back up navigation system as well.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For a trial I recommend the Pinhoti Trail near Sylacauga, Al. Appalachian Trail like conditions with great support from the local community. I've done 85 miles of it and it's comparable terrain to the 330 miles I've done north bound on the AT.
Also Cheaha State Park is nice and well ran. The Cave Creek trial is a 7 mile loop and a good spot for beginners to learn on.

MaroonOldCrow

Aug 22, 2012
I recommend carrying some type of satellite communicator/SOS unit. The latest i-phone or a Garmin Inreach or similar. I personally use the Garmin Inreach Mini2 because I do longish (week or two) trips alone and my better half likes being able to track my progress or reach me if I have no cell service. Linked to my phone it is my back up navigation system as well.
In case anyone is curious about what happens when you hit the SOS:

Reactions: PCHSDawg

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
NWA is on my list of places to hike, but it's hard not to spend the little time I get there on my mountain bike.
One of the best mountain biking destinations in America for sure. Two pretty awesome kayak parks up here now too that are pretty challenging on the Oklahoma, Arkansas border. All the hiking opportunities plus the elite trout fishing over by the White and Little Red rivers. You could spend a week here doing a lot of outdoor things easy

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
One of the best mountain biking destinations in America for sure. Two pretty awesome kayak parks up here now too that are pretty challenging on the Oklahoma, Arkansas border. All the hiking opportunities plus the elite trout fishing over by the White and Little Red rivers. You could spend a week here doing a lot of outdoor things easy
also known for loose women.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
We did a day hike there over Thanksgiving this year. It is beautiful

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
You didn't say where you're located, but we spent a lot of time backpacking and rock-climbing in the Sipsey wilderness area in Alabama when I was at State - I think it was only an hour or so from Starkville. I haven't' been in years but its basically Appalachian foothills from what I remember. Really beautiful, lots of streams and limestone walls, and pretty much nobody around. We'd do 3 day loops through it during spring break,
I’m in central MS. I’m an empty nester and 18 months away from retiring from my main gig. I’ll do something after I retire but nothing like I’m doing now. So want try some things that I never had time to do in the past. So traveling a little to get somewhere isnt a n issue.

Reactions: PCHSDawg

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
Any direction up to Clingmans Dome is amazing.

If you want to include Alabama then i'd say hit a loop trail to "The Big Tree" in Sipsey Wilderness. Its freaking AMAZING there and you will NEVER believe you are in Alabama when you're standing underneath The Big Tree.

If you want to include Arkansas to your list then I HIGHLY recommend hitting Eagle Rock Loop Trail. Just PLEASE walk it counter clockwise. I made the mistake of going clockwise. Counter clockwise you get nice little switch backs up the mountains. When you go clockwise you have to walk STRAIGHT up the mountains and then the switch backs down.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014

holy crap... I just saw this and realized that about half the items in the screenshot are what I carry :) Nemo, osprey, same sleeping pad, jet boil... I didn't watch the video but obviously agree w/ his suggestions since I use the same stuff. That's funny.
One thing I wanted to add on my Teton recommendation : the 2 night sight in the north fork cascade is easily the biggest bang-for-the-buck that I've experienced. There are no better views (there are equally good, but not better) and it's an "easy" 8 miles up the first day. And any time you can set up 1 site and day hike the next day, you are going to be happier. Oh and make sure to take the ferry to the trailhead to take 2 miles off the trip, otherwise it's 10 miles. The hardest part about this trip is actually getting to the Tetons....

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

MaroonOldCrow

Aug 22, 2012
I meant to throw this recommendation in:

Last year the gf and I did the portion of the AT from Carver's Gap to 19E. Great two day hike if you want to take your time. It's only about 15 miles, so you can easily knock it out in one. You can park at Carver's Gap and when you hit 19E, go to Mountain Harbour where they have a shuttle service that will take you back to the parking lot at Carver's Gap. Alternately, you can park at Mountain Harbour and they'll shuttle you to the trailhead.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login