OT Baseball dads

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Was asked today to join our youth baseball board of directors. I’m on season four of being a head coach and trying to balance work, full time single fatherhood, his schooling and head coaching duties is enough work.

I’m not sure what being on a board of a small youth group entails. Anyone with experience that can enlighten me?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The worst vice is advice...but I'll throw my experiences in for whatever they are worth:

1) Realize that this is for the kids, their growth, safety, and - most of all - their enjoyment. This was my personal imperative.

2) You're not on the BOD for some Fortune 100 organization. Keep your perspective.

3) Listen a lot and speak little. The first guy (or gal) that start running their mouth is likely going to be a problem-child. Others will see this.

4) Use your experiences to determine if you want to do this sort of thing again. I said I'd do it for only a year, and then ended up doing it for 3 years. Loved the engagement with like-mided parents and seeing our kids have fun

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I have been on the board for our rec league for 8 years. I love doing it, but it can be time consuming. Especially during the season. But honestly, nothing over the top. And we have close to a thousand kids in the league. It is a lot of fun though

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Parents are the worst part of youth sports and that's what you will be dealing with. Sounds like you already have a lot on your plate. I'd spend any extra time I had with my son. The years are fast.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login