OT: Battery Powered Tools

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The thatsbaseball post in Dorn's gift guide got me thinking about the fact that the batteries in my Craftsman (like, Sears-era Craftsman) tools are dying and replacements are getting harder and harder to find. They're C3 19.2V and the prices to replace the batteries are getting to the point where I should start considering buying into a newer system. I've had these C3 tools for about a decade, so I've well gotten my use out of them.

So, if I'm looking into a new system next year, who do you guys suggest? I don't really know what my budget is, so suggest away.

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I have Dewalt tools and battery packs and they have been good. The damn shop fan will last for 8 hours on a charge, even with my kids having it on full blast during the summer. The power tools are solid too, never had an issue with any of them.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm a Milwaukee fan. I like all their tools and batteries seem to last longer than say Dewalt. My dad has a bunch of Dewalt stuff. I have some cheap Black and Decker stuff that isn't bad for the price

Last edited:

maroonmuncie

Mar 3, 2008
The thatsbaseball post in Dorn's gift guide got me thinking about the fact that the batteries in my Craftsman (like, Sears-era Craftsman) tools are dying and replacements are getting harder and harder to find. They're C3 19.2V and the price to replace the batteries are getting to the point where I should start considering buying into a newer system. I've had these C3 tools for about a decade, so I've well gotten my use out of them.

So, if I'm looking into a new system next year, who do you guys suggest? I don't really know what my budget is, so suggest away.
I'm in the same boat. I've looked at the V20 Craftsman stuff, Ryobi, and DeWalt. I'm leaning towards the Craftsman stuff, especially the brushless options. If I do go that way, I've thought about getting a C3 to V20 adapter off Amazon to keep the older stuff running with newer batteries until I absolutely have to replace the tools. They also make an adapter to convert DeWalt 20 volt batteries to the C3 platform too.

Reactions: Dawgg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The thatsbaseball post in Dorn's gift guide got me thinking about the fact that the batteries in my Craftsman (like, Sears-era Craftsman) tools are dying and replacements are getting harder and harder to find. They're C3 19.2V and the price to replace the batteries are getting to the point where I should start considering buying into a newer system. I've had these C3 tools for about a decade, so I've well gotten my use out of them.

That little Ryobi air pump I posted about is very lightweight, inexpensive and performs really well but Dewalt is the "system" to go with IMO. Little more expensive but I think they're worth it.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I’m on Makita. So far, love it.
The 2 bank charger has a cooling fan which extends battery life and shortens charging.

I like their tools, too. Some tools (blower, string trimmer, chainsaw) will allow you to put 2-18v batteries on them making it a powerful little 36v monster without having different batteries.

My 2nd choice would be Milwaukee over the Dewalt.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm in the same boat. I've looked at the V20 Craftsman stuff, Ryobi, and DeWalt. I'm leaning towards the Craftsman stuff, especially the brushless options. If I do go that way, I've thought about getting a C3 to V20 adapter off Amazon to keep the older stuff running with newer batteries until I absolutely have to replace the tools. They also make an adapter to convert DeWalt 20 volt batteries to the C3 platform too.

I use these adaptors to run my Craftsman and Ryobi tools off Dewalt bat-trees. Works great.

15 years ago Dewalt was the sh_t in the trades. Milwaukee has come on strong though and is replacing Delwalt as the tool of choice in the blue collar world.

Last edited:

RebelRH

May 2, 2013
Dewalt, Porter Cable, and Craftsman tools are virtually the same but they cannot use each others batteries. They are all owned by Stanley Black & Decker. I've heard Milwaukee tools are good also. I standardized on Dewalt for the high end tools and have some Porter Cable for tools I don't use much. But I do have access to buying the SBD stuff by invitation online when they have sales. So that was an easy decision for me. All of the 20 volt stuff seems to be solid. IMO just pick one and go with it. Having backup batteries will be the most costly item.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Interesting. I've never seen that before.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The thatsbaseball post in Dorn's gift guide got me thinking about the fact that the batteries in my Craftsman (like, Sears-era Craftsman) tools are dying and replacements are getting harder and harder to find. They're C3 19.2V and the prices to replace the batteries are getting to the point where I should start considering buying into a newer system. I've had these C3 tools for about a decade, so I've well gotten my use out of them.

I standardized on Rigid. If you register the tools with them at the time of purchase (via an online account), they have a lifetime warranty. That includes the batteries.

Reactions: Dawgg and WrapItDog
Oct 17, 2023
I love my 18V Ryobi One+ tools. I have a drill, impact drill, Sswsall, utility tool, circular saw, edger, ratchet, q-beam and small lights, and pole saw. All are at least 2 years old and working great. I have a mix of Ryobi and knockoff batteries and all seem about the same.

Oct 17, 2023
My mom and dad have had good luck with the knockoff batteries for DeWalt and Black and Decker batteries. She wanted her own different brand from him so he wouldn't take hers when he lost his.

MooseDog

Sep 29, 2022
I've had a mixed bag of everything over the years. I'm a general contractor and have moved everything over to milwaukee. My suggestion is go with one battery platform. If on more of a budget and not for professional use I suggest ryobi at home depot. They make a lot of tools and have never changed their battery design. They are also made by the same company that makes milwaukee.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I have a lot of Makita LXT tools. They have been great to me, and I use them pretty heavily. Admittedly, they are a bit pricey outside of holiday sales amd just standard woodworking tools.

I got to a point where I had a need for more niche tools, and Makita is pretty limited. I started investing in Ryobi because of the endless options they have for many different categories. If I was starting fresh, I would go Ryobi.

maroonmuncie

Mar 3, 2008

I'll replace my drill and 1/4 impact first, but my circular saw, 1/2 impact, and hedge trimmers have a ton of life left in them, so no need to buy new ones until I have to, so the adapter will extend their life for a while.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
I have a lot of Makita lxt tools, never had a battery let me down. But Makita is pushing the 40v now and doesn't seem to want to extend their battery capacity past 5or6 ah like dewalt and Milwaukee. Ilike the fact that half of the knockoff tools on Amazon can use Makita batteries. If I were starting over and just a hobbyist I would take a serious look at the Harbor Freight line. Torque Test Channel on YouTube does a lot of testing on battery tools.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I have a lot of Makita lxt tools, never had a battery let me down. But Makita is pushing the 40v now and doesn't seem to want to extend their battery capacity past 5or6 ah like dewalt and Milwaukee. Ilike the fact that half of the knockoff tools on Amazon can use Makita batteries. If I were starting over and just a hobbyist I would take a serious look at the Harbor Freight line. Torque Test Channel on YouTube does a lot of testing on battery tools.
I agree, and recently started doing just that. I bought some of their Hercules , brushless tools. Good warranty, I've been impressed. I've gotten tired of the battery game. Yes, made in China, but I have Milwaukee, and Porter Cable tools, made there also.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’m on Makita. So far, love it.
The 2 bank charger has a cooling fan which extends battery life and shortens charging.

I like their tools, too. Some tools (blower, string trimmer, chainsaw) will allow you to put 2-18v batteries on them making it a powerful little 36v monster without having different batteries.

My 2nd choice would be Milwaukee over the Dewalt.
I have makita too. I like them. No complaints.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I got Ryobi all electric yard tools. They are cheap and available everywhere.

Battery and Bulbs stores can refurbish batteries too. Most folks don’t know that.
I didn't know that. I knew they could do batteries for like Power Wheels, but I didn't know they could work on tool batteries.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I love my 18V Ryobi One+ tools. I have a drill, impact drill, Sswsall, utility tool, circular saw, edger, ratchet, q-beam and small lights, and pole saw. All are at least 2 years old and working great. I have a mix of Ryobi and knockoff batteries and all seem about the same.
I've got much of the same, no problems since I first started buying them 6-7 years ago. Figured I didn't need the expensive stuff since I rarely use most of them. Weedeater, leaf blower, and drill are only ones that get a lot of use. But got no complaints.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve had Milwaukee for years and they are worth the money but damn those batteries have gotten expensive. There is a Rigid/Ryobi store in Foley Al at the mall. most of it is reconditioned but I’ve bought a few Rigid tools and so far I’ve been impressed with them especially for the price. I can buy a recon drill plus impact, charger and two batteries for less than one replacement battery for my Milwaukee.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have had good luck with buying replacement batteries off ebay. They are not OEM but are at least half price and are up to 8hr rated. I have not had any problems with them. I have bought Porter Cable and Craftsmen replacements but they have all the options. Some of my Porter Cable type 20v batteries are 3 years old now and still charging.

Now I am not using them professionally so I can't speak to using it for hours every day, but when I need them for a few hours on a weekend, no problems.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I've had the Milwaukee 12 volt system for about a decade and love it - the higher amp hour batteries and brushless tools can do pretty much everything my 18volt bosch system can, with few exceptions, and there's a 12volt milwaukee tool for just about everything - drills, drivers, impact drivers, staplers, nail guns, metal band saw, sanders, palm routers, sabre saw, circular saw, etc.

Best thing to do is wait until Christmas and hit the home depot website for tool combo packs - they'll run you less than half the price of buying the tools separately or during the year, and they usually throw in an extra battery or two. Same for Dewalt

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Makita, Milwaukee and DeWalt. I know people in the building trades who use battery-powered tools every day, and those are the ones they use. They base their opinions on reliability, battery life and durability. They also aren’t shy about telling anyone that these brands are the most expensive, but there is a direct correlation between price and quality received. The last battery-powered tool I purchased was an impact wrench. Bought a Milwaukee. I use it to break loose bolts holding the blades underneath my zero-turn mower, the bolts holding the blades on my bushhog. I also use it for removing lug bolts on wheels on my tractors and vehicles. My neighbor brought his brand new DeWalt impact and it struggled to loosen the lugs on my tractor-while we were taking the lugs off, my son-in-law drove up and brought his Milwaukee impact over and took the rest of them off. There was no contest-the Milwaukee was at least twice as powerful. I went and bought a Milwaukee that same day. I also found out that the Milwaukee cost about $100 more than the DeWalt-you get what you pay for with tools.

Water Dawg

Aug 22, 2012

I standardized on Rigid. If you register the tools with them at the time of purchase (via an online account), they have a lifetime warranty. That includes the batteries.
This is the answer - buy rigid

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Another note on Milwaukee (I'm a yellow man personally, but if I started from scratch now I'd go red), there are tons of Milwaukee employees in MS, I "understand" if you know someone who works for them you can get a discount. If that's against company policy I haven't done it :).

615 Guy

Jun 6, 2018
I've used Hilti products for years and used to provide them to my crews when I was in the construction biz. I'd consider them top of the line but you'll need a top of the line budget as well.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I've used Hilti products for years and used to provide them to my crews when I was in the construction biz. I'd consider them top of the line but you'll need a top of the line budget as well.
If my employer was paying for them, I’d definitely go with Hilti

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I have a mixed bag of battery tools. Mainly Porter Cable had to replace some 20V batteries this summer.

Did the replacement knock offs through Amazon. Got them in charged ‘em and used both for a couple of charges. Then they wouldn’t charge any more. Contacted seller and they sent me two more with another charger. They didn’t want other charger or batteries back. So far so good on these.

I also have a couple 14 watt Dewalt drills and an 18 volt sawzall (stem type). They need new batteries Gonna go with adapter and new flat batteries.

Recently started getting Craftsman brushless. Have the circular saw and 18 ga Brad nailer. Really like those and will continue with craftsman line. They work well for what I use them for. I’m not in the business of using every day though.

For every day use, I’d go with Milwaukee, Mikita, Dewalt.

My Dad bought a Mikita circular saw on sale a couple years ago. It has 2- 20V batteries. I believe you could frame an entire house with a full charge on that dude. Blade is on left side, which is awkward though. I don’t know if Mikita offers a left hand model, but would explain why it was like $100 off.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I second this. I have the drill, impact driver, 3/8" impact wrench, 3/8" ratchet, 1/4" ratchet, air pump, hand held vacuum, pressure washer, power scrubber, oscillating cutting tool, circular saw, sawsall, lights, 6 battery charger, 8 batteries, and crown stapler. All work exactly as I need them to, and since I don't use them professionally, they are exactly at the correct price point. I bought the batteries at 30/battery over the summer when they had them on sale. Tools average around 75 each. I have a few other items, but those are the bulk.

Now I just bought a track saw, but I went Dewalt and it works awesome.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login