OT: BBQ Sauce

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What is your favorite type and brand of BBQ sauce? I’m a big fan of a vinegar sauce. And I must say the killer hogs vinegar sauce is really good. I’m usually not a huge fan of killer hogs rubs but the vinegar sauce is top notch.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
What is your favorite type and brand of BBQ sauce? I’m a big fan of a vinegar sauce. And I must say the killer hogs vinegar sauce is really good. I’m usually not a huge fan of killer hogs rubs but the vinegar sauce is top notch.
Killer hogs rubs have too much sugar for me, but the vinegar is good. Half vinegar and half sweet sauce is great. My favorite overall sauce right now is blues hog champion blend, then mixed with kh vinegar and its perfect. Heath Riles vinegar is good too.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Not a big vinegar based fan her, but I did just buy two large bottles of Starnes.
Definitely gives pulled pork a bite. ( Generally mix in something else with it)

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Rodney Scott has some good sauces.

I’ve tried Rodney’s, Other, and Kathy— all are good but I wouldn’t go with just one. I’d alternate among them.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Killer hogs rubs have too much sugar for me, but the vinegar is good. Half vinegar and half sweet sauce is great. My favorite overall sauce right now is blues hog champion blend, then mixed with kh vinegar and its perfect. Heath Riles vinegar is good too.
Yeah, I’ve tried the heath riles too. It’s good. Very similar to killer hogs to me, almost wonder if they are the same. I’ve never done a side by side comparison. But both are good.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
The Country Pleasin’ “Slop Sauce” isn’t exactly what I’d call a BBQ sauce by definition, but it is a thin vinegary sauce that has a touch of sweetness to it. We like it at our house. I like most any sauce that isn’t super thick and super sweet.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, I’ve tried the heath riles too. It’s good. Very similar to killer hogs to me, almost wonder if they are the same. I’ve never done a side by side comparison. But both are good.
Heath Riles has some good rubs and sauces. I'm usually in academy, lowes, or another bbq store every weekend looking for different rubs and sauces.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Heath Riles has some good rubs and sauces. I'm usually in academy, lowes, or another bbq store every weekend looking for different rubs and sauces.
The garlic jalapeño rub is one of my favorites of his. A good AP rub

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
I like Abe’s. I’m biased. I’ve told y’all about Dixie dirt rub. Well he makes a sauce. I didn’t know. Damndest thing. It’s a vinegar base with a sweetness. Might be similar stuff out there. No idea.

I will say this for all you boys that replied above. I’ve tried killer hogs and it just doesn’t do for me. Chocolate and vanilla I reckon

Last edited:
Reactions: aTotal360

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Mostly go with Stubbs but for pulled pork sandwiches I’ve started using sticky fingers Carolina gold. Love that stuff

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
As far as stuff you can get at the krogers, I've really been enjoying Lillie's Q sauces lately. They're from Chicago of all places but really tasty.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Thanks to diabeetus I've had take G Hughes sugar free sauces and mix a couple of them with my rub and a little apple cider vinegar. Before the sugar free stuff came out it was just a little Sweet Baby Ray's mixed with my rub and vinegar.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You don't need all this new fancy stuff. Grab some Kraft original, add honey and cayenne to taste.

This, all day long.

There's just generally no need to spend bucks on high dollar BBQ or hot sauces.

With pulled pork, if I'm in the mood, I'll just mix up my version of a simple Carolina vinegar sauce.

Just the vinegar you like with some sugar and hot pepper powder added in. Microwave it to warm in a mason jar.

Adds an easy, light tang to the meat. Love it.

But I also love a good ole sweet mater based sauce.

Reactions: garddog

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I like Arthur Bryant’s in Kansas City bbq sauces.
Have to order online unless you can stop by and bring some home.
There’s a small place in Nashville called
Bar B Cutie and their hot sauce and their mustard sauce is really good.
Also like Sprayberrys sauce from down in Newnan GA
Not the best bbq but their sauce is legit.
Dreamland sauce - hot, served with white bread for dipping is hard to beat.
Ribs, not so much.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Currently in Texas, the H.E.B. sauces are solid.
If you're in Texas, don't sleep on Rudy's sauce. We buy a big bottle of their "regular" sauce (not the Sissy Sauce) and it usually lasts us a couple of months.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login