OT: BBQ

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
I watch a lot of Malcolm Reed on YouTube and always enjoy it. A friend of mine told me about another guy called the Mad Scientist and he has some good videos too. On one episode I watched recently he brined and smoked bacon ribs. It's basically pork belly with the rib portion still attached. It looked pretty good so I might try that sometime soon.

It got me thinking about other interesting or unique specialty cuts that some of y'all may have done in the past. If you have any good stories post them here. Bonus points if you've ever brined mole crickets in Dale's and smoked them.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I watch a lot of Malcolm Reed on YouTube and always enjoy it. A friend of mine told me about another guy called the Mad Scientist and he has some good videos too. On one episode I watched recently he brined and smoked bacon ribs. It's basically pork belly with the rib portion still attached. It looked pretty good so I might try that sometime soon.

It got me thinking about other interesting or unique specialty cuts that some of y'all may have done in the past. If you have any good stories post them here. Bonus points if you've ever brined mole crickets in Dale's and smoked them.

Matt Pittman with Meat Church cooks a variety of things.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If you ever run across a Hanger Steak, sometimes called a Butchers Steak, buy it. You’ll never see one in a grocery store because there is only one steak per cow. Fabulous cut of meat. Pork belly burnt ends are fabulous.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Beef short rib plates (Dino ribs) are always fun. Nothing unique, but it's a crowd pleaser. Cooked some a few weeks ago.

PXL_20230521_171418138~2_copy_2016x1134.jpg

My favorite cook of the last 12 months was pork belly bahn mi. Marinated the pork belly overnight in some fish sauce and a little Korean BBQ sauce. Smoked it like a brisket and then sliced and crisped up the sides on a Blackstone before serving on a soft hoagie with pickled carrots & daikon and a sriracha mayo.

Attachments

• PXL_20230521_222744577~2_copy_3024x1701.jpg
    PXL_20230521_222744577~2_copy_3024x1701.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 4

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016

Need to watch the one where he first tried the bacon rib at Leroy & Lewis in Austin. His first stop at Buc-ees is entertaining too.

Reactions: Augustus McCrae

Conman90

Mar 3, 2008

Malcolm is the OG BBQ Youtube guy. Others I like:
MeatChurch
Chuds BBQ
Mad Scientist
Swine Life (doesn't post much anymore, but he is buds with Malcolm and they do some stuff together on the Buck Junkies Channel)
MojoBarbeque
Smoking Dad's BBQ

Todd Toven and Hungry Hussey do good flattop (Blackstone) stuff.

Reactions: Augustus McCrae

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
My pork used to suck before I was taught to finish the last half of the smoking process wrapped in aluminum foil. Anybody know how to get it moist and tender without doing that?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
My pork used to suck before I was taught to finish the last half of the smoking process wrapped in aluminum foil. Anybody know how to get it moist and tender without doing that?
I rarely ever wrap pork. Moisture in smoked meat doesn’t come from rendered fat of external added moisture. The moistness comes from the breaking down of calogen in the muscle fibers. Calogen breaks down at or around 203 degrees. A big piece of meat is more forgiving and can be pulled at 203 but ribs need to be pulled around 198-200 because they will continue cooking a little even after removed from the grill. Beef is a little harder to keep in that moist window so I usually wrap brisket in peach butcher paper rather than foil. Butcher paper is a happy medium between foil and not wrapping, it will breathe a little and retain the bark better than foil. If you overshoot 203 too much the moisture will evaporate. The best way to determine doneness and moistness is the probe test. I use an instant read thermometer to probe the meat. If it probes like sticking it in a stick of butter, you’re there. Variables like altitude, humidity and ambient temperature will cause the 203 to vary a few degrees, usually under, but it’s a good rule of thump. After reaching your desired temperature, allow the meal to rest in a cooler for 30-60 min also helps the moisture to absorb and distribute evenly throughout the meat.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Rib Cap steak.
I was at a conference in Vegas and our vendor took us to STK in the Cosmo. We went to a cocktail reception after our sessions and I drank a good bit as well as had some hor d'oeuvres so I wasn’t real hungry. The waiter gives us the specials and one of them was a 6 oz rib cap. I never had it befor so I decided to order it because I figured it was small and not expensive. It was the best steak I ever had and when I got back to the room I googled the price of it. From butchers it was around $75 a pound so I’m sure it was at least three digits at the restaurant. I asked my account rep the next day how much was it because I had no idea it would be expensive, he said he wouldn’t tell me, as long as I enjoyed it. I am still curious how much it was.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Rib Cap steak.
I was at a conference in Vegas and our vendor took us to STK in the Cosmo. We went to a cocktail reception after our sessions and I drank a good bit as well as had some hor d'oeuvres so I wasn’t real hungry. The waiter gives us the specials and one of them was a 6 oz rib cap. I never had it befor so I decided to order it because I figured it was small and not expensive. It was the best steak I ever had and when I got back to the room I googled the price of it. From butchers it was around $75 a pound so I’m sure it was at least three digits at the restaurant. I asked my account rep the next day how much was it because I had no idea it would be expensive, he said he wouldn’t tell me, as long as I enjoyed it. I am still curious how much it was.
You’ve had it before and just didn’t know what you were eating. It’s part of a ribeye. It’s the half moon muscle on one end of a ribeye. For a rib roast they separate that muscle, roll it into a pinwheel and slice, think a meat cinnamon roll. Costco sells these if you are near one. This and the hanger steak are my two favorite pieces of cow.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006

I always liked T-Roy Cooks, although he hasn’t been posting for a while.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I rarely ever wrap pork. Moisture in smoked meat doesn’t come from rendered fat of external added moisture. The moistness comes from the breaking down of calogen in the muscle fibers. Calogen breaks down at or around 203 degrees. A big piece of meat is more forgiving and can be pulled at 203 but ribs need to be pulled around 198-200 because they will continue cooking a little even after removed from the grill. Beef is a little harder to keep in that moist window so I usually wrap brisket in peach butcher paper rather than foil. Butcher paper is a happy medium between foil and not wrapping, it will breathe a little and retain the bark better than foil. If you overshoot 203 too much the moisture will evaporate. The best way to determine doneness and moistness is the probe test. I use an instant read thermometer to probe the meat. If it probes like sticking it in a stick of butter, you’re there. Variables like altitude, humidity and ambient temperature will cause the 203 to vary a few degrees, usually under, but it’s a good rule of thump. After reaching your desired temperature, allow the meal to rest in a cooler for 30-60 min also helps the moisture to absorb and distribute evenly throughout the meat.

Preshate dat. One of the best cooking posts I've seen.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Since when did BBQ become an OT subject on SPS ????
Since a couple of a$$holes started bitching about BLT’s. God forbid they click on a thread thinking it’s about sports and be subjected to offensive conversation about food or fat chicks!

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Tennessee Mojo BBQ videos are good. He does a good bit of experimental stuff

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You’ve had it before and just didn’t know what you were eating. It’s part of a ribeye. It’s the half moon muscle on one end of a ribeye. For a rib roast they separate that muscle, roll it into a pinwheel and slice, think a meat cinnamon roll. Costco sells these if you are near one. This and the hanger steak are my two favorite pieces of cow.

Haven't I seen that called the ""deckle"? Seems like they started selling that in bigger cities as a separate cut to make more money off a ribeye.

Love that part of a ribeye.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
Haven't I seen that called the ""deckle"? Seems like they started selling that in bigger cities as a separate cut to make more money off a ribeye.

Love that part of a ribeye.
Yes, I don’t know if true, but supposedly Thomas Keeler, Chef at the French Laundry, was the first to serve it on its own/make it popular.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I don’t have a Costco but I’ve been in a few and bought steaks. Best of my memory the cap steaks were just a couple of dollars higher than regular prime ribeye and less than filets.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I've often wondered how much a difference exists between Prime & Choice Beef Tenderloin.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I've often wondered how much a difference exists between Prime & Choice Beef Tenderloin.
The difference between Prime and Choice is primarily the amount of marbling in the meat. Tenderloin has little marbling compared to other cuts so in that particular cut it's not a huge difference but there is a difference. When you buy prime the odds are you are getting angus or at least a high grade beef cow. With choice you could be getting just about anything. With Select you're probably eating a dairy cow. You won't go wrong buying Prime. With steaks I'd say it's 50/50 with choice. I'll buy chicken or pork before Select.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login