OT: Be proud of MSU! AI off road vehicle and EcoCAR

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
As an Electrical Engineering graduate of State I take pride in the academic accomplishments of our fine University. State has been selected with 17 other universities to compete in the EcoCar Challenge. We won the event in 2010-2011 and you can see them accepting the award in this video: EcoCAR Challenge Here's the link to the website for our AI Offroading system. if you scroll to the bottom of that page you will see other activities our students participate.

This is what companies are seeking! They want students that have competed in real world competitions as team members. That is why companies hire State grads.

Last edited:

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Very cool

Do you happen to have the correct link to the EcoCar Challenge? The one your provided is for How Electricity Works video.

As an Electrical Engineering graduate of State I take pride in the academic accomplishments of our fine University. State has been selected with 17 other universities to compete in the EcoCar Challenge. We won the event in 2010-2011 and you can see them accepting the award in this video: EcoCAR Challenge Here's the link to the website for our AI Offroading system. if you scroll to the bottom of that page you will see other activities our students participate.

This is what companies are seeking! They want students that have competed in real world competitions as team members. That is why companies hire State grads.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Congrats to them. I do have question for the electrical engineers about sustainability of electric cars and the grid. Is there a plan in place as more cars are pushed to electric for the grid to be able to support electric cars? Places like California can't even support their current grid. If the eco electric cars need charge and they are doing electric rationing are you just **** out of luck going anywhere or what?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
According to a Power Professor at State the grid is precarious

Congrats to them. I do have question for the electrical engineers about sustainability of electric cars and the grid. Is there a plan in place as more cars are pushed to electric for the grid to be able to support electric cars? Places like California can't even support their current grid. If the eco electric cars need charge and they are doing electric rationing are you just **** out of luck going anywhere or what?

I took my classes to MSU for Engineering Day before the pandemic so this isn't the latest infromation. David Wallace told us he attends a National Power association and said he was the youngest member and he's in his 50s. He said there were still powerstation in place from the early 1900s that were constructed out of wood! He went on to say they needed more engineering students to go into power because most of the engineers working in that discipline were retiring. Unfortunately, he said the grid in its current state would not support the demand from electric cars. He said they expect a catastrophic grid failure as a result of the shift to electric vehicles. At the time of our visit there was no plan to upgrade the grid and that is why they expect the failure.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Lemme guess. He predicted with just the right amount of research $$$ he could solve this.*** Kidding...kind of.... :)

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010

I am not an engineer but I did stay at a Holiday INN last year:

1 If everyone went electric tomorrow, the grid could not handle it . Of that, I have no doubt.

2 We had a much bigger problem when everyone started buying air conditioners starting the late 1940's to the early 1960's.

3 The transformation to electric cars will happen over several years - it won't be overnight and may not ever full transform which should give time for some upgrades

4 Until batteries last longer or can be recharged quickly - There will be a market for long range vehicles. Industry will push back on any gov't requirements or mandates.

5 I suppose battery exchange stations could become a thing. As a fork lift operator in the 90's, I could change my battery in a forklift quicker than I could refuel the propane tank.

My questions revolve over which is cheaper, more efficient and last but maybe not least, which one is more environmentally better. I think battery operation is cheaper but it may not offer everything gas powered vehicles can offer especially for long range hauling. Then there is the environment, are batteries really better?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
He recommended we contact our Congressman and demand research money for him. ****. Seriously, he was pleading with the high school kids to go into power engineering. He had 2 graduate that semester and they went to work in MS making $85,000 a year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login