OT: Berberine

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Somebody on here recommended Berberine to me for cholesterol, so I tried it. Not only did my cholesterol come down some, but so did my sugar. Basically from Sept to Feb, my blood panels really improved. Didn't increase my workouts/activity (probably fell off some with colder weather). Just found it interesting that it moved the needle so much so fast.
It did make me **** like a tied coon to start with, but that leveled off pretty fast.

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023
Somebody on here recommended Berberine to me for cholesterol, so I tried it. Not only did my cholesterol come down some, but so did my sugar. Basically from Sept to Feb, my blood panels really improved. Didn't increase my workouts/activity (probably fell off some with colder weather). Just found it interesting that it moved the needle so much so fast.
It did make me **** like a tied coon to start with, but that leveled off pretty fast.
High cholesterol is overrated. Managing you insulin levels is more important. Statins will lower you LDL and then you’ll still have a heart attack.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I would stick with the Berberine and watch your carbs. You will be surprised at the results and feel much, much better. Your Triglycerides should come down which is the number you want to really watch. Just walking out in some sunshine is really all the workout you need unless you want to get ripped.

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023
I would stick with the Berberine and watch your carbs. You will be surprised at the results and feel much, much better. Your Triglycerides should come down which is the number you want to really watch. Just walking out in some sunshine is really all the workout you need unless you want to get ripped.
I agree. Your triglyceride to HDL ratio is key. Below a ratio of 2 means youre likely insulin sensitive (which is good). Any ratio over 6 means youre insulin resistant (which is bad).

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My LDL usually runs 120-150, otherwise very healthy, 6ft 2 200lbs. Age 57, I walk 7ish miles/day. Doc wants to put my on meds due to higher than normal LDL, I have never been on a prescription and don't want to get on one. What are my options?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I agree. Your triglyceride to HDL ratio is key. Below a ratio of 2 means youre likely insulin sensitive (which is good). Any ratio over 6 means youre insulin resistant (which is bad).
Got my ratio down to 2.2 right now. LDL is a little high and so is overall number but not close to where it was.
My fasting glucose dropped over 25 points and A1C was great! Had been prediabetic before.
Statins weren't doing much for me on the cholesterol (genetics suck sometimes).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
My LDL usually runs 120-150, otherwise very healthy, 6ft 2 200lbs. Age 57, I walk 7ish miles/day. Doc wants to put my on meds due to higher than normal LDL, I have never been on a prescription and don't want to get on one. What are my options?
Not sure I’d take six pack’s medical advice over the doctor. Maybe try a second medical opinion if you don’t agree with your doctor.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Not sure I’d take six pack’s medical advice over the doctor. Maybe try a second medical opinion if you don’t agree with your doctor.
It's not that i disagree. It's that the modern medical system is all out getting folks on drugs that will likely lead to needing another drug and the another drug. Doctors, in some way, shape or form, are compensated for getting a patient on a script, maybe not directly with cash, but he will get a free trip, tickets or other remuneration. The doctor is not necessarily meaning you harm, it's just the system, your doc is probably on the same meds.

I've read enough to know that some folks don't believe high LDL is necessarily as bad as our medical system makes it out to be.

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023
It's not that i disagree. It's that the modern medical system is all out getting folks on drugs that will likely lead to needing another drug and the another drug. Doctors, in some way, shape or form, are compensated for getting a patient on a script, maybe not directly with cash, but he will get a free trip, tickets or other remuneration. The doctor is not necessarily meaning you harm, it's just the system, your doc is probably on the same meds.

I've read enough to know that some folks don't believe high LDL is necessarily as bad as our medical system makes it out to be.
Most MDs haven’t picked up a medical journal since Med School. Their education stopped years ago while knowledge continued to advance. Im probably better read on the cholesterol/heart disease hypothesis than most heart professionals in Jackson bc Ive read recent literature on the topic.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I definitely get it.. I was just messing with you. You seem like a really healthy guy. Sometimes I think genetics plays the biggest factor in all this.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
he doesnt know what he's talking about and he's listening to short skirt statin mule for a pharm. cholesterolcode.com is a good resource

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I definitely get it.. I was just messing with you. You seem like a really healthy guy. Sometimes I think genetics plays the biggest factor in all this.
genetics play a very small role...its diet, exercise, and living conditions that determine health

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Regarding cholesterol, genetics do play a large role in your number. I've read your body makes 75% of your cholesterol naturally. The rest is from your diet.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
That was me. Glad to see it helped

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I take Lovastatin(Mevacor) and have for 20 years. All my numbers are great so I'm not messing with it. My old cardiologist said another possible benefit is a statin can reduce your risk for cancer. I'm not sure I buy that one as I had bladder cancer last year. Immunotherapy put it in remission thankfully.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login