OT Bermuda grass question

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
I’ve moved back to this State and inherited a nice bermuda grass lawn. I was used to fescue. So how do i keep this thing worthy and not looking like the busted up lawns down the street.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I used to hit mine with a hot shot of MSMA in spring, summer and late summer. The bermuda will brown, but be back strong after after a good rain or watering. I hit it with 13-13-13 about a week after the MSMA, right before a rain. Now I pay Weed Warriors to take care of it.

Last year, central MS had the worst outbreak of army worms I've ever seen and they love bermuda grass, so keep that in the back of your mind.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If you can get your hands on some MSMA it is by far the best way to keep it clean. I just nuked mine with some and annihilated everything.

coursesuper

Nov 1, 2007
I’ve moved back to this State and inherited a nice bermuda grass lawn. I was used to fescue. So how do i keep this thing worthy and not looking like the busted up lawns down the street.

Slow release fertilizer is the key, there are many of them with pre-emergent herbicide at Lowes or home depot. The best defense against weeds is a strong turf. Don't over water.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009

i have 2.5 acres of bermuda and used to pay a crew $2800 a year to do any and all applications......now i just pay them to do 2 Pre applications in the spring, and 1 Pre in the fall.....for spring weeds, i use 4oz to the gallon of 2/4D .....you can really only use this until about mid may....once it starts getting above 80-85 degrees, the 2/4D doesn't work well....towards the end of May i will fertilize with 13/13/13 BEFORE i start spraying anything for summer weeds....someone below said afterwards, however, i disagree from experience, and that is also how the professionals who did mine before me applied it. I use MSMA during summer spraying for weeds, and it works best when it is hot....im a little cautious on the rate....i have a neighbor who uses 4oz, and another who uses 6oz to the gallon....I use 2oz to the gallon, but i also cut my bermuda at 3.5inches tall, which also keeps weed pressure down....

This summer im using a few different chems that my company makes that i have been able to get my hands on that are brand name-ish not sold in stores....but you can use MSMA or MSM turf and get that at a county co op.....the summer weed stuff from like Home Depot or Lowe's will work too, but is usually a high use rate that will be very expensive spraying a large yard

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I was paying a lawn service to treat my yard with herbicide and fertilizer. I never got results better than my neighbor who did it himself. I asked him what the hell he was doing and turns out it he was just adding milorganite 3 times a year. I started doing it this year and it works. Like CourseSuper said, it is a slow release fertilizer thats probably why. Regardless, it looks great and costs a fraction of what I was paying. Problem is finding milorganite. All fertilizers are in short supply.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
I was paying a lawn service to treat my yard with herbicide and fertilizer. I never got results better than my neighbor who did it himself. I asked him what the hell he was doing and turns out it he was just adding milorganite 3 times a year. I started doing it this year and it works. Like CourseSuper said, it is a slow release fertilizer thats probably why. Regardless, it looks great and costs a fraction of what I was paying. Problem is finding milorganite. All fertilizers are in short supply.

Thanks Putin.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
Thanks folks. Well its so hot in this damn state right now that no matter what is thrown on its just gonna catch fire.
I do appreciate the help!!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login