IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Top 5 Ranked

Boston - Boston
Van Halen - Van Halen
Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses
Doors - The Doors
Pronounced - Lynyrd Skynyrd

If you look at the music landscape that existed when these albums debuted, it demonstrates what great albums they were. At the time of their release or even before, there was nothing like them musically.

Others:

License To Ill - Beastie Boys
Are You Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Ten - Pearl Jam
Please, Please Me - The Beatles
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Best by general understanding and my intent is singular. I appreciate the lists, but I could have done that initially. Many of the albums mentioned are great to me also. Let's try to keep this as a deserted island thing and you can have only one debut album.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Boston was also my first choice.

Here's another that is more obscure, but a terrific debut album. Not Dan Hicks debut, but with his new band at the time. If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend you give it a try. Style-wise it's a combination of folk, swing, jazz, country music, & of course, Dan Hicks great sense-of-humor:
Shootin' Straight - Dan Hicks & The Acoustic Warriors

If you want a quick look at the kind of music:

Savin' My Loving - Dan Hicks and the Acoustic Warriors - YouTube

Dan Hicks & The Acoustic Warriors-Doing It - YouTube

Dan Hicks & the Acoustic Warriors : Hell I'd Go - YouTube

Bottoms Up (Live) - YouTube

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Right on both points. Great band in the early years. I liked their comeback remake of Walk This Way with Run DMC. But literally everything after that is garbage.
It had "Dream On" , "Mama Kin" , "Walking the Dog" and this one which for reasons unkonwn never broke into the radio air waves.

Reactions: patdog

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Lynyrd Skynyrd's debut album had
Free Bird
Tuesday's Gone
Gimme Three Steps, and
Simple Man.

There are only 8 songs on the album.

I'd also go with the Sex Pistols. They only put out like two albums but the first one defined a genre (punk rock).

Last Metallica. Kill 'Em All is a badass album. If you like speed metal, that is.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Very underrated band. Ric Ocasek was the face of the band, but Benjamin Orr and Elliott Easton were the ones who really made it great.
Yes, and Ric and Benjamin are both gone now. They had a different sound from all the other bands playing at the time. I was going to school at State the first time I heard them and Tom Petty as well. They were played on WMSB (before WMSV) a couple of weeks before the mainstream radio stations started playing them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login