OT: Best lightweight AR

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I don't want to spend $3k and I don't want to build another one. I want something "turn key" and with little proprietary furniture and a step up from a Saint or Ruger. 5.56 and 16" barrel.

I'm considering the following (if I can find one):

Patriot Ordinance
Daniel Defense
Geissele

What say ye?

Last edited by a moderator:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just out of curiosity, you can tell my all my post I am pro gun guy, so I am not making a point, just curious, why a AR-15?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Because I like looking like a badass mall cop. WTF does it matter? I got a vault full of ARs and the only thing I'm "missing" is something chambered in 5.56. I got .308, 300 blackout, 9mm, and 22. I guess the real reason why is because I'm American and I can.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I don't want to spend $3k and I don't want to build another one. I want something "turn key" and with little proprietary furniture and a set up from a Saint or Ruger. 5.56 and 16" barrel.

Patriot Ordinance
Daniel Defense
Geissele

What say ye?
What’s with all the downvotes?

btw, what do you mean by this..”set up from a Saint or Ruger”?

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
Palmetto has a pretty decent deal (by today's climate's standards) on a Ruger 556 ready to go out of the box for $699.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Because I like looking like a badass mall cop. WTF does it matter? I got a vault full of ARs and the only thing I'm "missing" is something chambered in 5.56. I got .308, 300 blackout, 9mm, and 22. I guess the real reason why is because I'm American and I can.

**** dude calm down. I wasn't being a troll. I am pro gun. I was just curious about your decision. I am fixing to buy another riffle and tryin to decide what. I was just wanting your opinion or what you were thinking. You get this defensive about a question you need to take a break from six pack,.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I've never shot a Geissele, but my friends agree with you. I've shot the DD V7 and really liked it.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
sorry. "step up" is what I meant.
Ahh ok. Makes sense now. I was going to suggest IWI Zion, but not in the same $ class as DD etc.. Damn good for the price.

As for “why AR15” that someone asked. I’d really like to add a .308 like a Tavor or HK91 ie.G3 or SCAR (stupidly overpriced)or something not on an AR platform, but I’ve got thousands of rounds of 5.56 and zero .308.

and yeah I know the Tavor and SCAR have 5.56 models but then again why pay that much for another 5.56?

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
What’s with all the downvote

People on this board have been at each others throats about Trump, Biden, Covid, Miss State sports for six years. A lot of hurt feelings and this is their way of sticking it to them.

Delmar

Jan 8, 2008
I don't want to spend $3k and I don't want to build another one. I want something "turn key" and with little proprietary furniture and a step up from a Saint or Ruger. 5.56 and 16" barrel.

Patriot Ordinance
Daniel Defense
Geissele

What say ye?

I don’t know much about Patriot Defense but Geissele and Daniel Defense are top tier rifles and you can’t go wrong with them. Another one to throw in for consideration is Bravo Company Manufacturing. I own a Daniel and a BCM and both are very nice.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I've never shot a Geissele, but my friends agree with you. I've shot the DD V7 and really liked it.

I haven't found anything from Geissele I didn't like. I swapped the BCM gunfighter CH out for a Geissele Airborne CH on my Noveske. DD is a great manufacturer but they never stuck out as "special" to me. I'm very partial to Noveske for their barrels. I'd probably do a Geissele lower and Noveske upper but that's not what you asked.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
And yes. I will own a SCAR.

I’ve owned three. They aren’t special. Save your money. I dropped a ton of money into the third one trying to make myself happy with it and it still sucked at the end of the day. I just bought a POF Rogue and I am extremely happy with it for a lightweight 308. Their 5.56 rifles are really nice as well. Of the rifles you have listed though, I’d go with Geissele.

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
I have a KAC, but it has a proprietary bolt (that will probably never break) and chamber. Can’t say enough good things about it. Noveske seems to be making a comeback since the owner’s death a few years ago. You will see a lot of navy seals running around with them so that will create popularity. LMT is making really good stuff (always have). Those are a few to look into.

To the SCAR, I thought that I wanted one until i started researching and found out that it is hard to find a happy owner of one. Among other problems, they are apparently hell on optics b/c of their strange recoil impulse.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
To the SCAR, I thought that I wanted one until i started researching and found out that it is hard to find a happy owner of one. Among other problems, they are apparently hell on optics b/c of their strange recoil impulse.
Yeah, heard the same. If I was wading in cash I’d still probably try one of the new ones with the non-reciprocating charging handle.

Last edited:

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
Just curious, what's wrong with Ruger or Smith and Wesson? I own both and have no problems.

nothing wrong with them. It is hard to find an AR that doesn’t actually do what they are supposed to do (fire when you pull the trigger without a lot of malfunctions).

Some of the guns being discussed here are what I call “Gucci guns”. They are made with top of the line furniture, metals, ambi controls, exotic coatings, etc. They get pretty expensive with all of the added options.

Sep 15, 2009

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I have a KAC, but it has a proprietary bolt (that will probably never break) and chamber. Can’t say enough good things about it. Noveske seems to be making a comeback since the owner’s death a few years ago. You will see a lot of navy seals running around with them so that will create popularity. LMT is making really good stuff (always have). Those are a few to look into.

KAC is a different animal than most here will get into. Trey Knight and John Noveske were good friends. I've wondered at times if John did some barrel development for them.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Pssssht. I carry two lightweight assault weapons with me everywhere I go.***

God made them and they're called "these hands". I call them The Constitution and The Declaration of Independence.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If you want under a grand Palmetto is my vote. If you want to go more and stay under 3 grand, I would consider a Sig Tread.

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
KAC is a different animal than most here will get into. Trey Knight and John Noveske were good friends. I've wondered at times if John did some barrel development for them.

True. If the OP is going to spend for a Geissele, he should look at everything out there. There is a corner of the AR world where makers are doing crazy things.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I can't find a KAC anywhere within a 1 hour radius of me. Had one place say they should have a couple in 3-4 weeks. I'm going to hold off so I check it out. I'm not in any rush.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I'm going to say something blasphemous, I just don't get all the AR love. I own several just because but everything that I do with a gun, there is a better option in my safe for every task. My bolt guns and single shots are more accurate for hunting. I prefer tactical shotguns for personal protection. There may be a time when I need to shoot a lot of little bullets without reloading and if that occurs I'll have that option but I honestly haven't pulled the trigger on an AR in years. I don't fault anyone for their love of the gun, they just don't thrill me like that.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I have a side charging, non reciprocating upper on my 300 blackout. It's may favorite gun.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I can't find a KAC anywhere within a 1 hour radius of me. Had one place say they should have a couple in 3-4 weeks. I'm going to hold off so I check it out. I'm not in any rush.

If you haven't shot one, you should find someone with a Geissele trigger and give it a whirl. I have an SSA and a G2S, both are smooth as silk. If was getting a long range setup I'd look at an SSA-E.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm going to say something blasphemous, I just don't get all the AR love. I own several just because but everything that I do with a gun, there is a better option in my safe for every task. My bolt guns and single shots are more accurate for hunting. I prefer tactical shotguns for personal protection. There may be a time when I need to shoot a lot of little bullets without reloading and if that occurs I'll have that option but I honestly haven't pulled the trigger on an AR in years. I don't fault anyone for their love of the gun, they just don't thrill me like that.

I think you answered your question. They're fun to shoot and if you chamber it in .223 or 5.56, it's more versatile than a .22. Probably not the best use of your money if you already have a .22 for plinking. On the other hand, zombie apocalypse. .22 to the head will probably work just as well as a 5.56, but I'd feel like a tool running around shooting zombies with a plain jane .22. Competition for the non-zombified women is going to be intense, so you'll want to look as cool as possible.

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012

I may be telling you something you already know, but the big difference b/t the KAC and other AR’s is the E3 bolt. The design makes for a much stronger bolt and finding someone who has had one break is like finding a unicorn. The bolt is expensive but you probably won’t have to replace one. Another difference is the gas system length. It is b/t a mid length and rifle length gas system that makes for a really soft shooter. Pleasurable to shoot. I have an older mod1 that will not shoot underpowered steel cased ammo but I wouldn’t shoot that stuff in it anyway. The mod 2’s have further improved the gas system, so I’m sure they are top notch on that front. Another big thing with the KAC in my opinion is the weight. The lighter the better as long as it is still durable. KAC’s are ambidextrous, which is a big deal to me b/c i shoot lefty but I think it is important to be able to run the gun from both sides. There are other makers doing ambidextrous these days though.

I have Geiselle triggers in other ar’s and they are nice. The SR15 has the Knights 2 stage trigger which is nice, just not quite as nice as the Geissele. That said, I wouldn’t buy a rifle to get the trigger.

Go to ar15.com and read personal accounts on different brands. That is the best way to make a somewhat educated guess without actually spending time with each rifle, which is close to impossible for most.

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
I have a side charging, non reciprocating upper on my 300 blackout. It's may favorite gun.

What brand upper? I have a Gibbz lefty side charger waiting to be put together. This will be my first side charger but it seems like a great idea.

catvet

May 11, 2009
Daniel Defense are excellent, but you pay for it. Great bang for the buck is a Colt LE 6920 Magpul edition.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login