OT: Birmingham Restaurants

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Any recommendations? Having a little weekend away with the Mrs. soon and not overly familiar with the options. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Roentgen

Jun 5, 2013
Helen and Automatic Seafood are both excellent.

Can’t go wrong with old favorites Ocean, Bottega, or Gianmarco’s.

Highlands is my all time favorite. Not looking good for them to reopen though.

Make reservations where ever you decide.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Would be a huge help to those willing to help you to state what area you’re staying in and what type food you and the Mrs like or don’t like.
2 dinners, 2 lunches, breakfasts??

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Would be a huge help to those willing to help you to state what area you’re staying in and what type food you and the Mrs like or don’t like.
2 dinners, 2 lunches, breakfasts??

Staying in Hoover but willing to drive around some. Definitely looking for a dinner spot for a Saturday night, possibly a Sunday brunch/lunch spot too. We are not picky eaters.

Aug 22, 2012
Staying in Hoover but willing to drive around some. Definitely looking for a dinner spot for a Saturday night, possibly a Sunday brunch/lunch spot too. We are not picky eaters.

If you’re staying at Ross Bridge, the Front Porch right there is actually pretty good for a casual spot. Tre Luna is a go to spot for a little nice spot in Hoover. Brock’s Gap Brewery just opened and looks pretty good.

Otherwise, your top restaurants, like the ones mentioned are going to be closer to downtown.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
You can google map directions for these but ….

I’d do Gianmarco’s for dinner Friday night in Homewood.
Make resv for the wine bar out back and sit at the bar.
Pre or post dinner drinks at OvenBird
Farrelly’s in Hoover for brunch Saturday.
Go for a beer or two at either Good People or Avondale Brewery Saturday afternoon.
Helen, Automatic Seafood, Ocean, Flemming’s or Amore Italian- down Hwy 280 E for dinner Saturday night.
All will need resv

Pre or post dinner drinks -
Collins Bar - great specialty drinks and or Paramount for drinks AND games.
The Marble Ring for a speakeasy experience. - be sure and order a couple of hot-dogs!!

Five Bar for brunch/lunch Sunday.
Or go to a great little dive bar called Rojo in Highland Park for burgers and bloody Mary’s

Other options are Slice or Davenports for pizza
EastWest for Asian fusion
Burgers - Jack Browns or Twisted Root
Martin’s or maybe Saws for BBQ
EL Barrio or La Paz for Mexican.
Meat and 3 - Niki’s, Johnnys in Homewood, Teds downtown.
Rooftop Bars - Elyton Hotel> Moonshine, Carrigan’s Bar

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Everybody is recommending newcomers. The Bright Star was there before them, and will be there after they are long gone. The classics never go out of style.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
You can google map directions for these but ….

I’d do Gianmarco’s for dinner Friday night in Homewood.
Make resv for the wine bar out back and sit at the bar.
Pre or post dinner drinks at OvenBird
Farrelly’s in Hoover for brunch Saturday.
Go for a beer or two at either Good People or Avondale Brewery Saturday afternoon.
Helen, Automatic Seafood, Ocean, Flemming’s or Amore Italian- down Hwy 280 E for dinner Saturday night.
All will need resv

Pre or post dinner drinks -
Collins Bar - great specialty drinks and or Paramount for drinks AND games.
The Marble Ring for a speakeasy experience. - be sure and order a couple of hot-dogs!!

Five Bar for brunch/lunch Sunday.
Or go to a great little dive bar called Rojo in Highland Park for burgers and bloody Mary’s

Other options are Slice or Davenports for pizza
EastWest for Asian fusion
Burgers - Jack Browns or Twisted Root
Martin’s or maybe Saws for BBQ
EL Barrio or La Paz for Mexican.
Meat and 3 - Niki’s, Johnnys in Homewood, Teds downtown.
Rooftop Bars - Elyton Hotel> Moonshine, Carrigan’s Bar

I was going to respond, but I feel like James Carville in Old School when Will Ferrell wins the debate. I have nothing. No rebuttal. This was perfect.

GianMarco’s is our favorite in town. Just be sure to make a reservation.
And last, Birmingham District Brewing is owned by MSU alums. Even besides that fact, it’s our favorite brewery in town. Every beer on tap is great.

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
Definitely agree on Bright Star in Bessemer. Alabama's oldest restaurant but always good.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login