OT: Black Friday

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Is nothing sacred anymore, that holy of holy shopping days has now been whitewashed into basically a blue light special starting in November. Whatever happened to camping outside the GameStop to be the first to get the PlayStation for 40% off while supplies last? Or a wave of humanity running into Walmart/Target/Belk for all the deals, frantically piling things into a cart while knocking over cardboard displays in a mad dash to get the 150" Vizio flat screen for $399 all while avoiding all the "crazies" out shopping on Black Friday. I've been getting black Friday crap on email or seeing ads for early black friday for 4 weeks now? Don't even get me started on the ASPCA add that keeps popping up while I'm writing this!!!!! Has Stoops announced yet, is Mullen still dropping hints, how much more will Liberty pay Chadwell to stay?????? Oh the humanity of being a MSU supporter!!! Ok I'm done now...
Black Friday Shopping GIF by NBC

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The old lady (no pics) wants a 55ish inch TV for her office. As it won't be used much, I don't want to spend much (>$300). What the best model for money?

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
The old lady (no pics) wants a 55ish inch TV for her office. As it won't be used much, I don't want to spend much (>$300). What the best model for money?
Insignia from Best Buy or TCL get my vote. I've got an Insignia 65" Fire TV and am basically happy with it. I looked at the TCL extensively before settling on the Insignia. Best Buy had them for less than Walmart had the TCL.

Got an acquaintance that swears by his Hisense as far as cheap TVs go.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Is nothing sacred anymore, that holy of holy shopping days has now been whitewashed into basically a blue light special starting in November. Whatever happened to camping outside the GameStop to be the first to get the PlayStation for 40% off while supplies last?

I did gamestop one black Friday, for what game, I cannot recall, but there were about 50 of us, and they metered us in because those stores would never hold 50.

I did a best buy when the 1st 50 in got a gift card....only to realize the first 20 in line were one family and they just turned and handed the card to mama.

I definitely don't do the mass rush....and that's completely thanks to the night we camped at the hump for the 92 lsu game. I don't have claustrophobia, but I do not like being all up with some strangers' asses and elbows.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Insignia from Best Buy or TCL get my vote. I've got an Insignia 65" Fire TV and am basically happy with it. I looked at the TCL extensively before settling on the Insignia. Best Buy had them for less than Walmart had the TCL.

Got an acquaintance that swears by his Hisense as far as cheap TVs go.
I’ve been very happy with the TCL Roku TV. I think Roku is the best platform out there. My folks have LGs, you’re limited on what apps you can install natively (no ESPN. Seriously, what the heck). The firetv platform is OK, but I think Roku or Apple TV are far more intuitive.
Hisense also makes nice budget TVs, and if I remember correctly also use Roku.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
I would rather smash my penis (no pics) with a hammer than stand in line overnight for cheap electronics.
Friken A.

Gas station in Tupelo opened and did a promotion where there was 66 cents a gallon gas for a time period of the day of opening. People lined up for hours and waited.

I jetted right in to the local Exxon and was in and out 5 minutes tops. I value my own time more than that.

Aug 31, 2012
Friken A.

Gas station in Tupelo opened and did a promotion where there was 66 cents a gallon gas for a time period of the day of opening. People lined up for hours and waited.

I jetted right in to the local Exxon and was in and out 5 minutes tops. I value my own time more than that.

That same day I passed that cluster 17 of dumbasses saving a few measly bucks to the local sprint mart down the road, filled up my truck, and used my fuel points to get a free 12 pack of ultras

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Several models available at Costco for less than $300. LG UHD(2), Hisense UHD(2), TCL UHD(3), if you spend an extra $50 or so it adds a few more to the list. All these are 50" - 55". Lots of models in your price range if you want a 43" and a few over 55".

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I would rather smash my penis (no pics) with a hammer than stand in line overnight for cheap electronics.
I normally push back when people say things like we have the dumbest fans in America. I think we have fans that are dumb in the same ways and same amounts that most fans are dumb.

But now I think I need to reassess. I pretty much don't care how long the "don't get penis smashed with hammer" line is, I'll gladly wait in it.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is nothing sacred anymore, that holy of holy shopping days has now been whitewashed into basically a blue light special starting in November.
This isn't exactly new for this year, but supposedly a lot of signs are pointing to excess inventory and retailers are trying to get early sales to avoid having to discount aggressively shortly before christmas. Not sure if they are really good at predicting this or if this is just a continuation of the consumers are about to run out of steam sentiment that has been out there for the past 18 months.

Reactions: Bullldawg78
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login