OT: Boston Whaler

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I'm considering restoring a vintage Boston Whaler, perhaps a 17' side console.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any advice or resources you can recommend?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any advice or resources you can recommend?
Sitting here wondering if someone has finally unearthed one single random topic in 20+ years that SPSers have no knowledge of and cannot actually contribute to... This one will be interesting.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Only if you run it like these two. If you don't know who they are google "Blue Top Legends"

Also Check out microskiff.com there is a good community centered around small boats. There are several repair and build threads.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Sitting here wondering if someone has finally unearthed one single random topic in 20+ years that SPSers have no knowledge of and cannot actually contribute to... This one will be interesting.
Just give it a bit. He'll not only learn how to rebuild his boat, he'll find out he's somehow a political extremist for owning one.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

The last time I restored a 17' side console...nevermind...

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Any specifics on what you are looking for ? Mechanical stuff or fiberglass repair ?
I'm looking for everything. I don't even have a hull yet. I assume there is a lot of info out there. I'm curious if anyone who has gone through the process has insight on what was the most helpful.

Bulldogbilly

Mar 19, 2020
My two bits: Saw a beautiful, old Whaler this week in Gulf Shores. Awesome.

If I were doing it, would be considering a center console. They look better to me. Personal preference.

If you need fiberglass repair, and are close to Lower Alabama, Coastal Fiberglass in Foley is in a class by itself. Unfortunately I know from experience.

Reactions: pseudonym

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008

Might have some luck asking over on the tigerdroppings outdoor board too. Seems like there is a boat thread over there nearly every day.

Reactions: onewoof

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve restored a couple of antique boats but never a Whaler. I have a 57 Duracraft on the back burner now but its an all aluminum boat. I’m not sure how much wood is in a Whaler but most manufacturers up until recently used wood stringers and wood transoms. That’s the weak point of any fiberglass boat. Fiberglass repairs aren’t very difficult as a DIY. I misspoke saying I restored boats , I refurbished them. I like old boats with new modern four stroke engines. It’s a fun hobby, I’ve done automobiles and boats are a lot less involved.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
There is a Boston Whaler jet drive on FB marketplace in Savanna Tn that peaks my interest. It’s in good shape and it’s incredibly cheap because everyone is scared of the jet drive, OMC engine. You won’t see another one on the lake though.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Don’t know where you are taking it but I heard flat bottom whalers are pretty bumpy in choppy water. If you are taking it in open water I’d opt for a v hull. Other than that I’ve heard great things about whalers.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Don’t know where you are taking it but I heard flat bottom whalers are pretty bumpy in choppy water. If you are taking it in open water I’d opt for a v hull. Other than that I’ve heard great things about whalers.
Good point. Where I would be gets pretty choppy on busy days. But there are some quiet spots to enjoy a smaller boat.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I still remember the print add of the Boston Whaler cut in half and a guy standing on each half and it’s still floating. It was in every boating magazine back in the day.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008

At a time in my life when my job was stressing me to the max, I restored an old sailboat, learning as I restored. It was fantastic mental therapy.

SemillaHombre

Jun 12, 2014
I owned a 17' center console Boston whaler for 3 years while living in HI (2011-2014). The Hull was made in 1976 but the console was replaced in the 90s. It was an awesome boat. Flat bottom so I could run it over the reef at high tide but also stable enough to bring it off shore in seas under 5-6 foot (just bring a pair of goggles to keep the salt spray out of you eyes). Got caught off shore a few times in some bigger seas than I needed to be in but I just took my time getting back in and was fine. Only improvements I made to it was to add some electronics and lights which included removing/replacing all the old wiring. Boat was pretty easy to work on. Only watch out is to make sure the hull or deck isn't cracked. There were a couple whalers running out of the same Island I was on that had cracks/leaks. The hulls are foam filled making the boat "unsinkable" but a leak can water log that foam and make it very heavy. Good luck

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login