OT: Boston

Armdady

Dec 20, 2022
Looking for suggestions for things to do in Boston. My wife and I will be up there next week and already have the tourist activities planned: Fenway, Revolutionary War stuff, Bruins game, etc. For those who have spent time in the area, what are some things my wife and I might do that aren’t on the usual “top 10” lists of things to do? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: LocalBeachBum

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
The Lizzie Bordon house is outside of town. Throw tea into the Harbor. If you’re up to it, go to historical Salem.

Reactions: Armdady

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Not sure what the weather will be like for you while there, but we went last Summer and thoroughly enjoyed walking the entire freedom trail (self guided). We also loved going to the Cambridge area where MIT and Harvard are located. Lots of places to eat/drink, and they have a really good river walk as well.

I will say that neither the wife, nor I, really cared for Salem. Pretty town, but there is only one structure that remains from the actual witch trials ( a judges house), and it felt a bit overdone/forced.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Walk the Freedom Trail. Take a whale watching cruise. The aquarium and science museum are good. If you're into art museums, that's good too. Catch a Bruins game (really do this, it's a lot of fun).

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
As others have said, the Freedom Trail is good. We went to cheers just to check it out, had one beer and left. Lot's of good Italian in the North End (Bricco is one of my favorites and they own several restaurants). We walked the harbor area, Copley square is nice. If you're a beer guy, the Harpoon Brewery is in the Seaport District. The Barking Crab is an outdoor restaurant, laid back with lobster rolls and draft beer not far from there and on the water. Whole town is pretty walkable if the weather is decent. Great town overall.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Boston is quite possibly the best city to visit in our country. It's clean, safe, walkable, and there is a ton to do.

Like others have said, the Freedom Trail is great. We like the North End. Eat some Italian. One we like to go to is called Trattoria Il Panino. After you eat you can get a dessert at Mikes Pastry or Modern and just walk around. You'll probably run into some history.

Best lobster roll: Tie between Neptune Oyster in North End (small, you'll likely wait) and Salty Girl near Copley Square. Get them warm with butter rather than cold with mayo. Honorable mention - James Hook & Co.

Higher end shopping is in Back Bay, Newberry St. and Copley Plaza.

The T (subway) is great for getting around. It's cheap and much cleaner than New York.

Others have said go to Salem. We liked it. You can take the commuter train for like $8 from Boston Garden. Beautiful old houses, some haunted history. It's about a 30 minute train ride.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
If you're a beer guy, the Harpoon Brewery is in the Seaport District.
Faaaaaar better beer choices to checkout than Harpoon.
- Treehouse
- Trilium
- Nightshift
- Lamplighter

Just google "Boston Breweries".

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Looking for suggestions for things to do in Boston. My wife and I will be up there next week and already have the tourist activities planned: Fenway, Revolutionary War stuff, Bruins game, etc. For those who have spent time in the area, what are some things my wife and I might do that aren’t on the usual “top 10” lists of things to do? Thanks.
Union Oyster House. Paul Revere ate there and you should too.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Unpopular opinion: I don't care for Boston. Yankees kinda suck. Anyhow, timely thread b/c I'm headed there again in a few weeks.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
There's just so much to do it's hard to decide but I would sure visit The Freedom Trail (Paul Revere home, Boston Tea Party, Old North Church, etc.). but you'd better have a lot of time and you'll do a **** load of walking. You can cut some of it out by taking the Trolley. It's kinda "touristy" but it you like history, it's awesome. Fenway is fun. I actually got to step foot onto the field during a visit a few years ago and got to go inside the scoreboard in left field. Also, may want to check out Martha's Vineyard. Cool place to visit. You can take the ferry over there. Great day trip. The Bull and Finch Pub (aka Cheers) is a good place to throw back a few suds. Ole Salty had his fill of cold beer plus some on a couple of occasions there. For those youngsters here it was the inspiration for the TV show "Cheers". I know that pre-dates some here. Spoiler: Cliff and Norm aren't there but the wooden Indian is at the bottom of the steps. Oh yeah, if you're from the South and don't have their "ideology" then don't talk politics up there. It won't go over well.

Last edited:

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Don't forget to tour the USS Constitution in Boston Harbor. You will have to bend forward when you go below deck because the average sailor back then was as tall as today's 12 year old. Caution: if you rent a car beware that there are a shat load of one-way streets in the city starting when you come out of the 1A Sumner tunnel from the airport.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Don't forget to tour the USS Constitution in Boston Harbor. You will have to bend forward when you go below deck because the average sailor back then was as tall as today's 12 old. Caution: if you rent a car beware that there are a shat load of one-way streets in the city starting when you come out of the 1A Sumner tunnel from the airport.
Yep and don't miss your exit on the Massachusetts turnpike. If you do, you could be on there for a while.

DawginEthel

Jan 2, 2023
Red Sox game is a must.
It's a ways from Boston but went to Mansions of Newport. Also Martha's Vineyard is cool didn't see the Mary Jo Kopechne bridge. Maybe see if there are any sights dedicated to Albert De Salvo

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Do a tour of Fenway.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We did the Freedom Trail, the USS Constitution, a harbor water taxi, and went out to Lexington and Concord. Lexington Green is one of those places that should send a chill up your spine. I would love to go back sometime. We needed a few more days. Be sure and get some chowder somewhere.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Pizza Regina in the North End and 2nd the Newport Mansions.

Last edited:

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
Caution: if you rent a car beware that there are a shat load of one-way streets in the city starting when you come out of the 1A Sumner tunnel from the airport.
below deck because the average sailor back then was as tall as today's 12 year old.
Driving in Boston sucks. Avoid as much as possible.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Unpopular opinion: I don't care for Boston. Yankees kinda suck. Anyhow, timely thread b/c I'm headed there again in a few weeks.
I’m going to defend Bostonians. I’ve never met a group of people more proud of their city who want outsiders to enjoy it too. Now admittedly, I’ve got a little girl in a wheelchair, so people tend to overdo it a bit anyways, but I can tell when people are full of crap or just being nice. It was raining when we were at fenway. We were undercover but there was a very strong, cold win blowing in from behind us getting us freezing cold ad wet. A group of about 12 fans got out of their seats and stood behind us creating a wall. That was the most extreme example, but I never felt anything but welcome in boston.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I’m going to defend Bostonians. I’ve never met a group of people more proud of their city who want outsiders to enjoy it too. Now admittedly, I’ve got a little girl in a wheelchair, so people tend to overdo it a bit anyways, but I can tell when people are full of crap or just being nice. It was raining when we were at fenway. We were undercover but there was a very strong, cold win blowing in from behind us getting us freezing cold ad wet. A group of about 12 fans got out of their seats and stood behind us creating a wall. That was the most extreme example, but I never felt anything but welcome in boston.
Also, the doctors at children’s hospital in Boston saved my daughters life and are the reason I have her today. I will take a bullet for that city.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Also, the doctors at children’s hospital in Boston saved my daughters life and are the reason I have her today. I will take a bullet for that city
I’m going to defend Bostonians. I’ve never met a group of people more proud of their city who want outsiders to enjoy it too. Now admittedly, I’ve got a little girl in a wheelchair, so people tend to overdo it a bit anyways, but I can tell when people are full of crap or just being nice. It was raining when we were at fenway. We were undercover but there was a very strong, cold win blowing in from behind us getting us freezing cold ad wet. A group of about 12 fans got out of their seats and stood behind us creating a wall. That was the most extreme example, but I never felt anything but welcome in boston
I'll second you on the friendliness. The people in Boston are kind and go out of their way to help in my experience.

When I lost my billfold at the Boston Common someone turned it into the park rangers office with all of the cash intact. If you look confused at the subway, a local will usually the time to point you in the right direction.

And as an added bonus, service at restaurants is generally much better outside of the south.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'll second you on the friendliness. The people in Boston are kind and go out of their way to help in my experience.

When I lost my billfold at the Boston Common someone turned it into the park rangers office with all of the cash intact. If you look confused at the subway, a local will usually the time to point you in the right direction.

And as an added bonus, service at restaurants is generally much better outside of the south.
Generally speaking, people are people no matter where they're from. I've spent a fair amount of time in the Boston/Rhode Island area and the people there are not much different than the people here. There's some ********, but for the most part people are fairly nice to each other.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Generally speaking, people are people no matter where they're from. I've spent a fair amount of time in the Boston/Rhode Island area and the people there are not much different than the people here. There's some ********, but for the most part people are fairly nice to each other.
1678990636075.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Drink the freedom trail. It is awesome.

Reactions: Armdady and patdog

Armdady

Dec 20, 2022
I appreciate the suggestions. I’ve got quite the itinerary, thanks to you all. We’re looking forward to the trip.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login