OT: Boston

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Hello friends. It’s currently my first night in Boston. Two hours ago I was sitting at an awesome, sub-street level bar (Grafton Street Pub and Grill) on the Harvard campus enjoying a 10 year Laphroaig when the fire alarm starts going off. The dark, gloomy look of the bar, which was my attraction to the place, was suddenly brightly illuminated and
we all had to vacate. Good news: I didn’t have to pay. But did find the opportunity to tip the friendly tender in cash on my way out (i was in the restaurant business in college and know the struggle). And, by the way, the people here are very nice…to my surprise. Anyway, we plan to hit the Freedom trail and other historical sites along with catching a Red Sox game. (I got to see M. Moreland play the Mariners when I was TDY at McChord AFB in 2018).
Moving on, I value most of your opinions so hit me with what I should do that’s within a reasonable Uber ride? Peace be with you. Hail State. Slàinte Mhath

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Hello friends. It’s currently my first night in Boston. Two hours ago I was sitting at an awesome, sub-street level bar (Grafton Street Pub and Grill) on the Harvard campus enjoying a 10 year Laphroaig when the fire alarm starts going off. The dark, gloomy look of the bar, which was my attraction to the place, was suddenly brightly illuminated and
we all had to vacate. Good news: I didn’t have to pay. But did find the opportunity to tip the friendly tender in cash on my way out (i was in the restaurant business in college and know the struggle). And, by the way, the people here are very nice…to my surprise. Anyway, we plan to hit the Freedom trail and other historical sites along with catching a Red Sox game. (I got to see M. Moreland play the Mariners when I was TDY at McChord AFB in 2018).
Moving on, I value most of your opinions so hit me with what I should do that’s within a reasonable Uber ride? Peace be with you. Hail State. Slàinte Mhath
Do the freedom trail, have some beverages along the way. Go to the Warren Tavern then burn the calories by walking the steps at Bunker Hill.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
They aren’t called Massholes for nothing, give them time.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'll be there on 16 June, let me know what all you do. We will be there for for three for two days, three nights.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Don’t Uber. Just ride the subway. It’s user friendly.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Reactions: dorndawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Rent a car for the day and go out to Lexington and Concord.

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
Go to North end just to feel history: places to eat there: Neptue Oyster. Monica's Mercato(Italian sandwiches) ; Theo's Cozy Corner(Breakfast)

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I was there during the bombing. Had already finished the race and was back in the hotel, but the next several hours were pretty harrowing. I believe there is a memorial at the finish line. I also agree with the North End-it's an easy train ride from anywhere. Regina Pizza and Mike's Pastry are musts. We went to Salem one year and it was alright. You can kill some time at the Quincy Market with decent restaurant choices. I believe we ate at the Salty Dog once. There are several Local Seafood locations and they are good. Going to the Harbor is pretty cool. Barking Crab is good food there.
I am heading up next Wednesday.

Edited to add: If you're into Vietnamese food, go to Chinatown and eat Pho Pasteur.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
If you are a baseball history fan, try to get into one of the Fenway tours. I enjoyed that. As part of it you get to spend some time atop the Green Monster.

Also enjoyed visiting the Old North Church and then going on the accompanying crypt tour. Calling it a tour is a stretch. You just get to go into the crypt underneath the church.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Copying and pasting my previous post on Boston. I think it's the best city to visit in our country.

The Freedom Trail is just great.

We like the North End. Eat some Italian. One restaurant we like there is called Trattoria Il Panino. After you eat you can get a dessert at Mikes Pastry (cash only) or Modern and just walk around. You'll probably run into some history.

Best lobster roll: Tie between Neptune Oyster in North End (small, you'll likely wait) and Salty Girl near Copley Square. Get them warm with butter rather than cold with mayo. Honorable mention - James Hook & Co.

Higher end shopping is in Back Bay, Newberry St. and Copley Plaza.

The T (subway) is great for getting around. It's cheap and much cleaner than New York.

The Fenway tour is cool. The Boston Symphony is awesome.

Others have said go to Salem. We liked it. You can take the commuter train for like $8 from Boston Garden. Beautiful old houses, some haunted history. It's about a 30 minute train ride.

Boston is one of the most friendly cities I've visited. Everyone seems to want to be helpful.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Bull & Finch Pub.......Give Cliffy and Norm my reagards......Nice little pub near the Boston Commons..........

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Whale watching ride was great. Don't stand on the rail unless you are at the very front. Puke flys backward. It also starts a chain reaction of puking. Aside from that it was fun.

I enjoyed the duck boat ride. Freedom trail was great. I bought one of these and saved a ton.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you are a baseball history fan, try to get into one of the Fenway tours. I enjoyed that. As part of it you get to spend some time atop the Green Monster.

Also enjoyed visiting the Old North Church and then going on the accompanying crypt tour. Calling it a tour is a stretch. You just get to go into the crypt underneath the church.
Great idea. I'm going up to a game at Fenway in July. I'll be sure to schedule a tour. Thanks.

Reactions: DawgatAuburn

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Actually, people in Boston have been pretty friendly for the most part when I've been there. And I've been there several times.
I’ve been to Boston a couple times and never had an issue either. A good friend got her Masters in Boston and she called them that. Ironically she married a guy from Boston. I’ve covered a lot of back roads in New England on a motorcycle and as a rule, they are mostly a$$holes. Maine and NJ were probably the worst.

Reactions: patdog

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Lots of history stuff out around Concord, but that is a good 50 minute to an hour drive.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login