OT Bourbon…

expireddog

Oct 4, 2013
Buddy of mine owns a liquor store and just got Old Elk. Anybody had it before? Thoughts and comparisons

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
They have a wide array of stuff. Lots of wheaters (Makers and Larceny have similar mash bills.)

They also do alot of cool releases if you are into wine finishes.

It's all sourced though. Not a litt craft distillery aging their own juice in their own rickhouses in the upper Rockies. It's made by MGP in Indiana, but they do a good job. The exact same mash bill from MGP is used in Redemptions Wheated Bourbon.

All and all it's a good bourbon. I paid $60 for my bottle Old Elk Wheated Bourbon and it is good. I wish it was around $40. But if it's rare in your parts, I would grab one because it is good and everyone will enjoy it.

Back to my whiskey douche cave.

ETA. I had to search, but Bulldog Bruce got a bottle recently with a topper that makes the Blanton's horse look like a straw wrapper.

If you find that bad boy I will trade you two bottles of Blanton's.

View attachment 24333

Edit #17... I have been inspired. Was working on some Larceny and decided to follow it up with some Old Elk. Very nice. Definitely more complex. Almost a hint of smoke to it. If you can snag the OE Wheated Bourbon do it.

Me and the old man are porch drinking.

View attachment 24334

View attachment 24335

Last edited:

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Yes, had it given to me as a Christmas gift. Very good.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Old Elk is very good, especially if you like wheated. But JLS is right, you can pick up the wheated redemption for cheaper and it’s essentially the same bourbon.

Small plug, if you are in Cincinnati area and have a chance, swing by Northern Row. Their young small batch bourbon won a gold at this year’s US Spirit competition. Was voted the #2 spirits distillery in the US for micro / nano distillery. Took top gin in a few categories. It’s also a brewery. My uncle is the co-owner. It’s a cool setup, they distill, barrel and age onsite.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Old Elk is very good, especially if you like wheated. But JLS is right, you can pick up the wheated redemption for cheaper and it’s essentially the same bourbon.

Small plug, if you are in Cincinnati area and have a chance, swing by Northern Row. Their young small batch bourbon won a gold at this year’s US Spirit competition. Was voted the #2 spirits distillery in the US for micro / nano distillery. Took top gin in a few categories. It’s also a brewery. My uncle is the co-owner. It’s a cool setup, they distill, barrel and age onsite.

Haven't had the redemption bourbon, but I liked the redemption rum cask finished rye. Liked it better than a lot of high rye bourbons. Gets mixed reviews though, so it's possible I like it because I'm not a rye fan and it tastes less like rye and that rye drinkers will not like it.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Grand Dad 114 was recommended at our local store

Buddy of mine owns a liquor store and just got Old Elk. Anybody had it before? Thoughts and comparisons

Got a bottle and was pleasantly surprised. Read some reviews and the comments and a lot of folks said it was their go to. Smells great (Vanilla, pepper, butterscotch come to mind). You get those flavors on your palate as well. Reasonably priced as well.

CSpringsDawg

Aug 23, 2013
They have a wide array of stuff. Lots of wheaters (Makers and Larceny have similar mash bills.)

They also do alot of cool releases if you are into wine finishes.

It's all sourced though. Not a litt craft distillery aging their own juice in their own rickhouses in the upper Rockies. It's made by MGP in Indiana, but they do a good job. The exact same mash bill from MGP is used in Redemptions Wheated Bourbon.

All and all it's a good bourbon. I paid $60 for my bottle Old Elk Wheated Bourbon and it is good. I wish it was around $40. But if it's rare in your parts, I would grab one because it is good and everyone will enjoy it.

Back to my whiskey douche cave.

ETA. I had to search, but Bulldog Bruce got a bottle recently with a topper that makes the Blanton's horse look like a straw wrapper.

If you find that bad boy I will trade you two bottles of Blanton's.

View attachment 24333

Edit #17... I have been inspired. Was working on some Larceny and decided to follow it up with some Old Elk. Very nice. Definitely more complex. Almost a hint of smoke to it. If you can snag the OE Wheated Bourbon do it.

Me and the old man are porch drinking.

View attachment 24334

View attachment 24335

I’ve got about 50 bottles (EHT Small batch/single barrel, OWA 107, WSR, Eagle Rare, ECBP, etc..) and I think you and I would be best friends.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I’ve got about 50 bottles (EHT Small batch/single barrel, OWA 107, WSR, Eagle Rare, ECBP, etc..) and I think you and I would be best friends.

I just so happen to be in the market... Of course with those kinds of trinkets lying around you may have lots of best friends on this board.

In SPS fashion, I must say:

Send pics or not true.***

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
A store in Collins had some Old Elk wheated bourbon and wheated whiskey, with a sticker indicating that they are an allocated item. I started to buy some but grabbed some other stuff instead. Next time I’m in there I am going to make sure to buy one.

This whiskey shopping in MS is strange. You can go in 10 stores in Hattiesburg that say they can’t get something, then go in a store in a po dunk town and they have 5 different allocated whiskeys. It’s like Easter egg hunting.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
This whiskey shopping in MS is strange. You can go in 10 stores in Hattiesburg that say they can’t get something, then go in a store in a po dunk town and they have 5 different allocated whiskeys. It’s like Easter egg hunting.

Its strange everywhere. A store 5 minutes from my house has a case of larceny barrel proof, Eagle Rare, and McKenna on the shelf right now. A store 2 miles further didn’t have a bottle of any of those. The store further away had a lottery drawing for BTAC 2 months ago and I landed an ER17 with little markup. The store that is usually stocked hasn’t had any BTAC in 3 years.

forestdepth

Feb 20, 2018
And any time a bourbon thread is posted o remind everyone that Joe Lee rules and sent me some juice a few years ago.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Had a long day at work. Needed to mix one myself....

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
According to experts, "there is no wrong way to drink Bourbon". Watch Neat: The Story of Bourbon. First it is a very good documentary and they definitely make a point that there should be no snobbery about Bourbon.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
According to experts, "there is no wrong way to drink Bourbon". Watch Neat: The Story of Bourbon. First it is a very good documentary and they definitely make a point that there should be no snobbery about Bourbon.

Fantastic Documentary! Loved the story about Blantons. Didn't they say the best way to drink whiskey is the way you like to drink whiskey or something like that😀

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Last edited:

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Didn't they say the best way to drink whiskey is the way you like to drink whiskey or something like that

From one of my luckiest experiences - I toured Wild Turkey a few years back. We got there late in day & some young guy offered to give us the tour. He took us a bit off the main tour trail & kept taking about his granddad. Turned out it was Jimmy Russell’s grandson. Eddie Russell joined us at the tasting at the end. Eddie said if you are drinking bourbon, you are drinking it right.

The other cool thing, when people start talking about flavors and different taste/heat they preferred, Eddie recommended competitor bourbons the person should try. Can you imagine touring Pepsi and them recommending coke products to try? But here was Wild Turkey’s master distiller telling a lady that 101 was probably too hot for her and she might prefer Woodford Reserve. Just super laid back, super nice country folks that take pride in making and love bourbon.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
From one of my luckiest experiences - I toured Wild Turkey a few years back. We got there late in day & some young guy offered to give us the tour. He took us a bit off the main tour trail & kept taking about his granddad. Turned out it was Jimmy Russell’s grandson. Eddie Russell joined us at the tasting at the end. Eddie said if you are drinking bourbon, you are drinking it right.

The other cool thing, when people start talking about flavors and different taste/heat they preferred, Eddie recommended competitor bourbons the person should try. Can you imagine touring Pepsi and them recommending coke products to try? But here was Wild Turkey’s master distiller telling a lady that 101 was probably too hot for her and she might prefer Woodford Reserve. Just super laid back, super nice country folks that take pride in making and love bourbon.

Super cool story! My buddy is a huge 101 fan as his daily. I'm fairly new to the quality bourbon scene and trying to do a lot of catching up. I quit drinking whiskey for a long time because I drank it at a pace that was closer to beer drinking....pretty stupid and uneducated about it then😀 I love that there are some really knowledgeable users on here and look forward to learning from y'all!!

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009

That's awesome. Bruce will be the guy after Eddie.

Wild Turkey is my favorite distillery across all whisk(e)y. Rare Breed was the pour that took my enthusiasm to the next level. For me, the Wild Turkey products in general are the value measuring stick for all other American products out there.

msudawg219

Mar 8, 2022
Had a taste of Elijah 18 year this week and it was very good. One of my favs so far although the price tag was a little much. I am also a big fan of Redemption for the price.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
A store in Collins had some Old Elk wheated bourbon and wheated whiskey, with a sticker indicating that they are an allocated item. I started to buy some but grabbed some other stuff instead. Next time I’m in there I am going to make sure to buy one.

Collins gets in stuff I ask for. Got a farm up there and know one of the owners. I loaded up on cheaper Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare during the COVIDs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login