OT: Bows

Sep 15, 2009
Getting into bowhunting at 42 years old. Give me recommendations on what compound bow to get. I know nothing about it.

Aug 28, 2018
You really can’t go wrong with any of the major bow companies. As a beginner, I’d go with a bow with a longer bow-more forgiving. The more you research, the more nit picky you’ll get.
I still shoot a 2001 Mathews Icon. Every time I convince myself to go get a new one, I talk myself out of it. I kill a couple of deer a year with a bow, then pick up the rifle once that season opens.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
It shows which "team" you bat for in softball. I can't remember which team is represented by the bow, however.

I garnered this knowledge right here on the pack.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
Skip the compound and get a cross bow. I hunted with my Mathews LX compound bow for years. My success rate was about 50% (either missing, not placing a kill shot for a multitude of factors, or simply not being able to take a shot due to a multitude of factors). The cross bow gives you the same rush and up close and personal experience that a compound will without the failure rate. I also consider what's more humane to the animal. Unfortunately I wounded several deer due to the inherent inconsistencies with traditional bow hunting. I practiced a ton and was as diligent as possible when taking my shots, but with bow hunting there are just so many things that can go wrong no matter how prepared you are. After 4 years of using a cross bow, I have yet to miss a deer and have harvested three 150+ bucks that I would not have with my compound.

If you take my advice on the cross bow, my suggestion would be to go with a mid tier like a Ten Point. IMO the $2500 bows aren't really giving you much more of an advantage unless you are shooting at deer 80 plus yards away. My $800 Parker (they no longer make them), hasn't let me down yet.

But, if you're just determined to go with a compound, get a 2 or 3 year old used Mathews. You'll get it for half the price of a new one and typically the po will have it all set up and ready to go hunt.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Hoyt. IMO, smoothest draw. But like others have said, they are all so damn good nowadays.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If you knew what you wanted, used is the way to go because archery equipment doesn’t hold its value used. Being a beginner go to a dedicated archery shop. Bows are not one size fits all. A bow needs to be fitted to you. A single twist of the string makes a difference and a seller who knows this is invaluable. The cheapest bow on the shelf fitted to you will shoot better than the most expensive bow you can order online if it doesn’t fit you. I used to shoot competition archery until my shoulder made me quit, if I wanted to get back into bow hunting I would go back with a crossbow since they are now legal. I’ve killed deer and competed with longbows, recurves, and high end compounds but for a beginner technology is you friend.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I can't remember your location, but if you're in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, there's a store called Alvarado Archery in Alvarado that will walk you through the whole process of buying a bow based on your needs/wants, strength, etc. and will adjust it for you and you can test it in the range right on the spot.

I bought my daughter a Genesis bow there a few years ago.

ShrubDog

Apr 13, 2008
Welcome to the club its never to late. Always start out with a bow. Starting with a crossbow is like learning to drive with a Corvette instead of a Beetle. I was shooting with my fingers up to 12 years ago on compound. Just the way I shot going back to the red bow. Get a release that fits you comfortably. All I can say is sitting on the ground with a bow and getting a big buck within range is higher than any drugs can get you. Getting him within 15yards and your hooked. The hard part is making that arrow connect. Once you figure that part out, you become a super predator.

There is nothing wrong with a crossbow but if you are really serious about getting into bow hunting use a compound or traditional. Crossbow is like a gun and takes away that spiritual connection.

Also....speed doesn’t kill. Never forget that.

Last edited:

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
Go to an archery shop and figure out the overall length of bow and riser that you like best. If you don't have to have the latest and greatest models you can get great deals on eBay from archery shops getting rid of discontinued bows or previous years' models. I got my 2014 model in late 2015 for 1/3rd of the price.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I have a Bowtech Realm and I love it.

If I were starting out as a beginner I would look at the Bear Archery sets that already come rigged out with sights and whatnot. Can get into a good setup for about $500

RedStickDawg

Sep 16, 2012
A lot of bow shops will get new employee demos in the spring/summer months and sell the old demos then. I got lucky with my last one (Hoyt and love it) and the guy tricked it out and then left the company…bow had never been used. Got it for half the price. Said demos will be outfitted with everything you need and they will adjust everything based on your specs. If you are capable of shooting a compound bow health-wise then do it. IMO crossbows are for kids and anyone who can’t pull back a compound due to age or a health restriction. Once you get that first encounter at close range you’ll be hooked.

catvet

May 11, 2009
If money is not an issue, look at the 4 major bow manufacturers and shoot their models: Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt and PSE. They should have a archery center where you can usually shoot one or more of these brands side by side. I mention money, because when you factor in the bow, the rest, the sight, the quiver and arrows and broadheads, you are looking at 2000 for the set up. If you don't want the flagship, all make a bow that costs several hundred less. Shoot as many as you can and usually one will feel right and the bow "picks you". I've shot them all and for whatever reason have always gone with a Bowtech. I shoot last years Flagship, the Solution. This is a good time to buy as they are coming out with the 2022 models and have some price breaks on the 2021 models. Hope you find what you are looking for because bow hunting is addictive. It's primitive and you and the query are up close. Nothing like it.

qball.sixpack

Aug 26, 2012
Let me concur with Catvet (but don’t leave out Elite even tho I’m shooting Mathews as we speak). My big consideration would be the bow tech. Especially if you are in a smaller area—go with the brand you can have serviced. Tons of great bows but you want a good bow tech to fit you right and keep it maintained, especially in times of need. If u are back in Starkville much, see one great guy and helluva bow guru, Slade Fancher at Owen Outdoors. Won’t find a better person or more knowledge on bows. Bulldog family too!!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login