OT: Brazil plane crash

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Engineering folks: how the hell does that plane just fall out off the damn sky like that? I expect them to have momentum going one direction or the other. It was just dropping like a rock.

Here are a couple of the videos. If you don’t have X, it’s basically on all the major network websites.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It appears to be a flat spin, one of the hardest spins to recover from.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
There are so many videos online. It must have been falling for a while for that many people to notice. The videos of the crash site are rough with a body on the ground, fire, parts everywhere, house on fire, etc.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There are so many videos online. It must have been falling for a while for that many people to notice. The videos of the crash site are rough with a body on the ground, fire, parts everywhere, house on fire, etc.
Lack of qualified pilots is real. Not so much in the US, but it’s out there.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Nevermind.

Tragic. Wonder if it was taking off or landing.

Last edited:

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Sources indicate that an active icing warning had been issued for altitutdes between 12,000-24,000 feet, the aircraft appeared to behave abnormally while flying at 17,000 feet. Vertical speed fluctuated between 8,000 and 24,000 feet per minute. The engines were running at the time, though they seemed to have been struggling or reduced to idle.

Reactions: DerHntr

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
That is called a stall. When a plane slows enough that the airflow over the top of the wings no longer produces lift, the plane stalls. Since the wings are not exactly identical, one wing stalls before the other. That wing will drop first often producing a spin.

Reactions: DerHntr and patdog

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Looks like it was lucky for the neighborhood that it crashed in.
Sort of came straight down, rather than like it was coming in for a landing.
Could have hit many more houses, etc.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
That is called a stall. When a plane slows enough that the airflow over the top of the wings no longer produces lift, the plane stalls. Since the wings are not exactly identical, one wing stalls before the other. That wing will drop first often producing a spin.
Um. The wings are identical, otherwise they wouldn’t produce lift at the same rate/location/timing and you’d get off the ground in a bad spot. What you’re describing sounds like critical engine failure with a sudden yaw towards the critical engine based off the (now sole) moment existing on the airframe created by the operative engine.
admittedly, I haven’t watched any of the videos and don’t have X, just adding to a theory I suppose.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
It appears to be a flat spin, one of the hardest spins to recover from.
High Five Tom Cruise GIF by Hollywood Suite

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Sources indicate that an active icing warning had been issued for altitutdes between 12,000-24,000 feet, the aircraft appeared to behave abnormally while flying at 17,000 feet. Vertical speed fluctuated between 8,000 and 24,000 feet per minute. The engines were running at the time, though they seemed to have been struggling or reduced to idle.
One common sequence for a stall is this. The pitot tube that measures speed ices up or fails. It tells the pilot that he has a lower speed than he actually does in reality. But the computer gives him a stall warning or stall emergency based on that false low speed measurement. This causes the pilot to panic. The correction to a stall is to gain speed. You do this by pointing the nose down to use gravity to gain speed. But this is counter-intuitive to human nature which tells you that you need to gain altitude if you are in a stall and falling. It’s a big part of flight school to rewire your brain against human nature. But sometimes in a panic, pilots forget their training and pull up in a stall or in what they think is a stall, thereby creating a real stall.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Um. The wings are identical, otherwise they wouldn’t produce lift at the same rate/location/timing and you’d get off the ground in a bad spot. What you’re describing sounds like critical engine failure with a sudden yaw towards the critical engine based off the (now sole) moment existing on the airframe created by the operative engine.
admittedly, I haven’t watched any of the videos and don’t have X, just adding to a theory I suppose.

here’s a YouTube link with a bunch of the footage:

Ludus24

Oct 21, 2023
Flat spin. ATR's perform terribly in icing conditions (every aircraft does to differing degrees). It's likely ice buildup caused one wing to stall, or the tail which is basically non recoverable at that point.

Last edited:

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
That definitely looks like an aircraft that had lost aerodynamic capability….i.e….icing. Critical engine failure would have resulted in a more violent yaw than evident in the video

Reactions: DerHntr

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
My thoughts turn to Kobe Bryant in these situations. To be in a situation like that with your child would be worst case scenario by a country mile.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I have to remind myself that early august in the southern hemisphere is “winter.”

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Um, he means with ice on them, no they aren't identical depending on amount of ice build up on them so lift is different

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That definitely looks like an aircraft that had lost aerodynamic capability….i.e….icing. Critical engine failure would have resulted in a more violent yaw than evident in the video
I've only heard the word YAW used by one other person and it was this dude.
"Yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw, yaw, yaw yaw foo'ball"

1000002592.jpg

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login