OT - Buying Baseball Tickets from a Scalper

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I bought tickets from a scalper prior to Friday's game. They were greats at only $20 each. I'm always expecting these tickets to be scams, but at only $20 I wasn't risking much (I already had tickets in the upper decks). The tickets surprisingly "scanned" through. We took our seats and later two young men showed up with tickets to the same seats. They said their tickets scanned too (there were plenty of empty seats so no big deal). How are scalpers getting these tickets to scan? Are they overlaying barcodes for GA tickets on the printed pages of the chair back tickets? Are the scanning people working with the scalpers? On the ticket, "Hunt Family Partnership" is listed as the owner of the seat.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Are they overlaying barcodes for GA tickets on the printed pages of the chair back tickets?
This works in theory. Pretty clever. It’s a lot of trouble to go through to sell a $15 ticket for $20- but I imagine some games those seats sell for a good bit more.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This works in theory. Pretty clever. It’s a lot of trouble to go through to sell a $15 ticket for $20- but I imagine some games those seats sell for a good bit more.
They may be using the same GA ticket over and over? Or some folks will buy GA tickets in bulk and sell/give them away later.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
They may be using the same GA ticket over and over? Or some folks will buy GA tickets in bulk and sell/give them away later.
I assume each GA ticket would have a unique barcode but I don’t know that. And yes, if you buy a “flex pack” you can get GAs for $10

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Where did they get the Reserve Seating ticket used for the overlay? Unless its an inside job by one of the Hunt Brothers. Didn't they try to corner the silver market a while back. A DNF ticket is probably a precious commodity too. **

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login