OT: Buying Land in MS

Aug 29, 2009
I'm looking for any advice around purchasing land in MS. What are some of the best sources to find land for sale? As far as finances go, what's the minimum down payment percent-wise that I should expect to put down? The purpose of the land would be mainly recreational (hunting, fishing, timber) and maybe for a home depending on proximity to a city (within 20-30 minutes).

I'm not in a position to buy land today financially, but I would like to start building the habit of shopping around to get an idea of how much money and specifically what type of property I'm interested in.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Just based on what you’re saying about your purpose, I’m wondering if you want to own land or are more interested in a hunting lease.

Edit to add: I wouldn’t call timber recreational which is why I’m thinking that way.

Aug 29, 2009
Just based on what you’re saying about your purpose, I’m wondering if you want to own land or are more interested in a hunting lease.

Edit to add: I wouldn’t call timber recreational which is why I’m thinking that way.

Good call out. I should have stated recreational and investment purposes. I'm not looking to lease any property for hunting purposes in the near-term.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Lots of factors here ..rates, credit score, cost etc.. you won’t in all likelihood be working with a bank but rather someone like MS land bank. Start by following on line listings That will give you an idea of cost per acre where you want to be and the type of property. Agents aren’t going to show you one after the other if you can’t buy just for you to go look. I buy and sell 100-300 acres properties in TN and resell after a little cosmetic work. Price varies by location and things like a lake, timber, soft or Harwood but location is the driver.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
Step 1: Download ONX or HuntStand Apps
Step 2: Browse around at tracts that you are interested in
Step 3: Click on interested tracts and see what mailing address is listed. If mailing address is no where near Mississippi, write a letter to them and try to get contact and at least kick the tires. Not everybody holds an interest in keeping pawpaws land when they are never in the state and know they can turn that 200 acres into cash.

Might get turned down more times than not, but might as well try. If you get real lucky they might take whatever first offer you make.

LandDawg

Sep 1, 2009
I work for First South Farm Credit. We are an the largest agricultural lender in the state. One of our main focuses being recreational/investment timberland financing. You definitely want to look at an ag lender. Our terms, down payments and rates almost always beat commercial banks. Ive been beat on rates before (rarely) but I have never seen a commercial bank make a 30 year fixed rate loan on land and banks typically ask for 25%-30% down payment.
Our Minimum down payment is 15%-20% depending on terms, amount of loan and credit. If you have any specific questions, feel free to reach out through PM.

Oct 7, 2022
Mississippi Land Bank
This. I can’t recommend them highly enough. Just bought a place 2 years ago and they made a very complicated situation look extremely easy.

One other thing. These apps that people will recommend to use when purchasing land can be extremely inaccurate. Also, local tax maps can be very inaccurate. Just a word to the wise. The only sure thing is a survey.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
This. I can’t recommend them highly enough. Just bought a place 2 years ago and they made a very complicated situation look extremely easy.

One other thing. These apps that people will recommend to use when purchasing land can be extremely inaccurate. Also, local tax maps can be very inaccurate. Just a word to the wise. The only sure thing is a survey.
One other add on here. If you are using the apps or something similar to find an owner just realize the ownership information is not real time. It sometimes takes a year or two for the maps in chancery clerks office to even be updated. Be super careful in reaching agreements with absentee people without getting title work done. If you are working through an experienced lender like Land Bank or the First South mentioned above, they will guide you through all this.

Reactions: Anon1665155225

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Step 3: Click on interested tracts and see what mailing address is listed. If mailing address is no where near Mississippi, write a letter to them and try to get contact and at least kick the tires. Not everybody holds an interest in keeping pawpaws land when they are never in the state and know they can turn that 200 acres into cash.

Might get turned down more times than not, but might as well try. If you get real lucky they might take whatever first offer you make.
I echo all this, I've done the same.

To add, you need to narrow down where you want to buy. As you mentioned within 20-30 miles of a city, I'm assuming you mean the Jxn Metro, Hattiesburg area, the Coast or Desoto County? Undeveloped land near any of these areas is obvious going to be much more expensive than hill land in Carroll, Grenada or Tally Counties, which is mostly good for pasture land, timber and deer hunting.

Be careful of county. Some delta counties (i.e., Holmes) have little and ineffective LE and your stuff may be stolen and or vandalized without much concern from the Sheriff.

Timber is a wildcard, it is hard to value, the market goes up and down and some folks tell me it can be hard to get a buy/logger to even show up. I wouldn't be afraid of buying land that was recently clear cut, you can shape it like you want.

Also make sure you get a good feel for water and electricity (hopefully you can hook in to county water and power lines are near by). The cost and wait to have a well drilled is crazy. Be wary of "land locked," property and surrounding property owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Choctaw Dawg

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Choctaw dog is right on here. The best deals never make it to an agent if you see a property reach out to the owner. I learned the hard way I let 150 acres next to me get away before I learned to ask. I’ve purchased two properties in then last year that never made it to market. I use land glide. Not always up to date but TN updates often so right more often than not

Reactions: Choctaw Dawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
All I know is that if a sale happens because of this thread, dawgstudent is going to look for his six percent commission. **

• Haha
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Make sure you use a good realtor, somebody that is familiar with the land in your target county.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018

I have some hunting land that I have owned for about 20 years and I get a random phone call or letter from an individual or a real estate person representing an individual on average about once a year asking if I would be interested in selling. Choctaw has a good suggestion. Do some homework and start kicking some tires.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
I'm looking for any advice around purchasing land in MS. What are some of the best sources to find land for sale? As far as finances go, what's the minimum down payment percent-wise that I should expect to put down? The purpose of the land would be mainly recreational (hunting, fishing, timber) and maybe for a home depending on proximity to a city (within 20-30 minutes).

I'm not in a position to buy land today financially, but I would like to start building the habit of shopping around to get an idea of how much money and specifically what type of property I'm interested in.
Here

Mississippi Land & Lots For Sale - 2047 Listings | Zillow

Easy to sort and you can go to whatever are you like, draw a line around it and only look at what is for sale there.

Aug 29, 2009
Thank you all for the suggestions. The advice is helpful and should steer me in the right direction. I will definitely leverage the available technology such as Huntstand , onX, and Zillow, as well as reaching out to people directly. @LandDawg I'll be sure to reach out for more feedback if I have any questions along the way.

I am very much at the beginning of this process. My plan is to use this advice to start learning the market. I don't have a timeline for a purchase, but I would guess I'm at minimum 2-3 years out if not more to buy any land.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
If you do reach out to an out of state owner, which I am, don’t insult their intelligence with a completely ridiculous offer. I get offers at least once a year. Last year I got an offer of $500/acre when neighbor just sold for $4500/acre.
Some bozo organization out of Memphis offered me around $700/acre for 60 acres. I took it to the tax office to make sure it was legitimate and they told me a lot of people were getting offers from the same organization. I thought it might have been a phishing attempt to steal my land because the offer price was ludicrous. China has been buying up a lot of land in the US over the last few years and I wondered if they were behind it.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
Some bozo organization out of Memphis offered me around $700/acre for 60 acres. I took it to the tax office to make sure it was legitimate and they told me a lot of people were getting offers from the same organization. I thought it might have been a phishing attempt to steal my land because the offer price was ludicrous. China has been buying up a lot of land in the US over the last few years and I wondered if they were behind it.
We have gotten the same with the property we own. It has been as low as $300 an acre. Absolutely ridiculous and they cast a very wide net seeing how much they can bring in doing that.

Aug 29, 2009
If you do reach out to an out of state owner, which I am, don’t insult their intelligence with a completely ridiculous offer. I get offers at least once a year. Last year I got an offer of $500/acre when neighbor just sold for $4500/acre.
This wasn't something I planned to do, but I also didn't think of it. It's a good plan if it only works once right?**

//Edited to add sarcasterisks. No I'm not going to do this

Water Dawg

Aug 22, 2012
15-20% down is the rule ... rates are crazy.

Whitetail properties is solid if you looking to sell -- ask for Lake if you're in central MS great experience working with him.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012

Landwatch has the most syndicated listings. Zillows has a few from MLS.

I bought hunting land in my 30s and don’t come from a land-owning family. 6 years later, I’m looking for more everyday. I think I have a lot of advice but some may be specific to my area of MS. I’ll drop a couple things that are important.

0. If you’re thinking of this as an investment, other than simply diversification, steer clear. It’s better than a boat, but you dang well better get significant personal satisfaction from land ownership or you’re much better off buying bonds, especially with interest rates no longer sub 5%.

1. What is it that you want? Deer hunting land in pretty hard woods? Room for a food plot or 2 to fill the freezer? Do you want something to work on in the off-season to piddle around. It makes a huge difference in what kind of land you should be looking for. If you just want something to occupy your time, optimizing hunting opportunities on 20 acres of open land can keep you busy all year long.

2. Aim small miss small. Burn some gas and find the neighborhood you want to own land in. Focus your efforts on that neighborhood. Despite what others may advise, do NOT let the locals know you’re in the market unless you’re confident they want be competition for a purchase.

2a. How much land do you want? If you’re still a few years out from buying 100 acres, don’t be afraid to jump on 30-40 acres in your desired neighborhood. Become a local yourself and try to trade up. This is probably my top tip.

3. Realtors… Man I just don’t know here. If you’re going to be the least bit selective, my experience tells me that the realtors in MS won’t be much help to a new buyer. The market has been hot enough for long enough that the realtors just don’t waste time on the guys they think may not buy the first property or 2 they show them. Now that I have land that I may sell in a deal, agents are happy to do whatever I ask. Previously, I had to do all the work myself.
I’ll also add that, after inquiring by email and phone for probably 100 hunting properties, I have not once been less informed than the actual listing agent about the property they’ve listed (neighbors, access, easements, etc), which still blows my mind. Car salesmen also hate me. Why didn’t I have a buyers agent making the inquiry for me? See the the previous paragraph.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We have gotten the same with the property we own. It has been as low as $300 an acre. Absolutely ridiculous and they cast a very wide net seeing how much they can bring in doing that.
We've gotten those some letters (as well as surrounding land owners). They are looking for that widow to see an offer for $100k on land that she doesn't set foot on and hoping she takes that bait. Old people get snookered all the time.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They’re just fishing for cheap land or someone willing to sell. And 99 percent of the time it’s investment companies looking for land to invest in. We farm some land that’s an investment wing of the Teachers Credit Union. They own land as part of the investments of the company.

jumpdawg

Sep 7, 2012
Landwatch.com is a good site for learning market pricing. Can break down regions within the state and then look by county.

also timber companies have land once they are done. I bought 150 acres from one and only 20 acres had been cut.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
" maybe for a home depending on proximity to a city (within 20-30 minutes)."

LOL you need to pick another state if you're serious about this **

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login