OT Chicago Wrigley Field

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
Heading up to Chicago in June to watch the Braves play the Cubs and check Wrigley Field off my stadium bucket list.

Suggestions on where to stay, restaurants, and things to do? Will be me and my 14 year old son.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Heading up to Chicago in June to watch the Braves play the Cubs and check Wrigley Field off my stadium bucket list.

Suggestions on where to stay, restaurants, and things to do? Will be me and my 14 year old son.

Great time to go, too - Chicago is the best summertime city in America for my money.

-I'd stay in the loop or River North.
- As mentioned, Cubby Bear or Murphy's Bleachers before the game are fine. They're not gonna change your life or anything.
- The El is a cheap, easy, and efficient way to get around. I'm sure there's some primers you can google but it's pretty intuiitive, nothing like NYC subway. The red line goes right to Wrigley. If you're flying in, you can get to the loop from Ohare on the Blue or Midway from the Orange. Should you decide to add in a White Sox game, the red line goes to their stadium.
- Haven't been in a while so can't speak to restaurants esp post-covid. Portillo's is everywhere and will scratch the itch for a Chicago dog or Italian beef sammich although there are certainly better options. Lotta folks wanna get in on the casserole's deep dish pizza, for that there's Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, Uno. If you want to go to somewhere nicer/better, these are usually good guides: https://chicago.eater.com/maps/38-best-restaurants-in-chicago
- As far as other stuff to do, just walking around in Mag Mile is fun. Depending on what you and your kid are into, there's the Art Institute (of Ferris Bueller fame), the Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd aquarium, and the Field (natural history). Navy Pier is boring to me.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I stay out around the airport and catch the Blue Line, then grab a bus to the field. It's impossible and expensive to drive/park there. Public transit is your friend in Chicago.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I stay out around the airport and catch the Blue Line, then grab a bus to the field. It's impossible and expensive to drive/park there. Public transit is your friend in Chicago.

You stay by O’Hare? How long is that ride to Wrigley?

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
You stay by O’Hare? How long is that ride to Wrigley?

Not that long. Get off at Sheffield or whatever the drop is and catch the transit to the field. Never had a problem unless I waited too late to go. Go early because Wrigleyville brings in a ton of people.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

You’re going to have a great time. Even as a cardinals fan, Wrigley is my favorite place to watch a game. I make an annual trip with some friends to go watch the Cards and Cubs play up there.

We usually stay near the stadium and typically hang out around the stadium. I’m not sure staying up near Wrigley will be best for you since you will have your 14 year old son, so I’d probably stay closer to downtown (the loop). Definitely grab some pizza. I’ve tried Geno, Lou malnati’s, and Giordano’s. I think giordano is my favorite but all 3 are great. There is a good BBQ place on Clark street right by Wrigley called Old Crow Smokehouse. It’s good and they have a good rooftop area that is a nice place to eat lunch and have a beer if it’s a nice sunny day.

There is also a sports bar called Sluggers right across the street from Wrigley. There are batting cages in that bar that are always fun to hit in. I’m pretty sure your son can get in there during the day. I think it’s 21 at night but if he likes hitting balls, definitely go in there and hit a few balls and you can have a beer or 2.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Not that long. Get off at Sheffield or whatever the drop is and catch the transit to the field. Never had a problem unless I waited too late to go. Go early because Wrigleyville brings in a ton of people.

I usually stay in an Air BNB near Wrigley. But I’ve always wondered how long it would take to get back to the airport on the train. May try that out this year.

Feb 15, 2007
I haven't given a passing thought about MLB in 20 years, but watching a game at Wrigley a few years ago exceeded the hype. I remember sitting along the third base line and thinking "holy ****, I'm at Wrigley Field." You'll love it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Had an opportunity to go a few weeks ago but it was 40 degrees and I did not pack for that. Pay attention to what the weather will be.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Some things I haven’t seen mentioned…

- The architecture tour on the Chicago River is amazing.
- You can check out the view from the top of the John Hancock building for free and not have long lines. The location is better than the Sears Tower (or whatever it’s called now) and they have a restaurant and a separate “bar” area (all ages). Plus, first level of the building has a Cheesecake Factory.
- The Chicago History Museum is amazing. I’ve been to most every Chicago museum and this one is my favorite by far.
- eat at the Weber Grill restaurant. Everything is cooked on the grills and the food is really good.
- walking around the Gold Coast area is amazing
- Lincoln Park Zoo is free, and pretty cool. Also a nice area to stay in.
- definitely get the CTA pass. Between the buses and subways, you can get within a few hundred yards of most anywhere a tourist would want to see.

There are several posts about Chicago if you search for them here…

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
Definitely stay downtown. Close to the river if possible. Over the years Ive stayed in Hyatt Regency, Swiss hotel, London House and Royal Sonesta. All are nice and central to where you would want to be. Easy access to the El train. You can get to Wrigley in about 30 min from that area. Check some of the hotel sites like Priceline, Expedia, etc. Those hotels can run pretty high at times, but you can catch them at the right time and get a good deal.

The weekend youll be there June 18/19th will be Taste of Chicago in Millennium Park. I haven't been to that event in 15 years, and Im not certain what its like post covid, but if its anything like it used to be, its a party and will draw people from all over. There is lots and eating and drinking going on. I ate myself sick the first time I went. Go hungry.

Some people hate deep dish pizza but Im pretty sure its a law you eat some when your in Chicago. Ive tried all the major ones at some point and Gino's is my favorite. Although none of them are terrible. Carmine's is good for Italian. Portillo's hot dogs and italian beef is pretty good but it can be crowded at times. Id skip it if I showed up and there is a long line.

You can eat or drink at the Signature Room at the Hancock building which is on the 95th floor. The food is pretty expensive but if you factor in what you pay to go to the top of any building for sight seeing, its not that bad. I would make reservations soon though as they fill up quickly. If I had a 14 year old with me, I might skip the Hancock and just go the Willis/Sears Tower. They have a glass ledge that you can pay extra to walk out on and look down. It gives a lot of people vertigo. Lots of fun!

Someone else up the thread mentioned this, but I'll 2nd it... Chicago in the summer is one of my favorite places. I think Chicagoans spend all winter in doors and then when it warms up they have all this pent up energy that just turns the whole summer into a party. Hope you guys enjoy it.

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
I hope you end up loving Chicago as much as I do. Touristy Things to do:

-360 Observation Deck
-Architecture Riverboat tour
-rent a Divvy bike and bike the lakefront trail from Navy Pier until you get tired
-Catch a show at Second City (old town)
-museum of industry
-tour the Robie House (Frank Lloyd Wright, in Hyde Park) and/or Unity Temple (Oak Park).
-peruse Millenium Park (the bean) and Grant Park (Buckingham fountain)
-Lincoln Park/Lincoln Park Zoo
-get a drink at Navy Pier rooftop bar and watch the fireworks on Wednesday or Saturday
-chill at Montrose or North Ave or Oak St. beaches
-Visit Reckless Records on Belmont if you want to bring home some vinyl
-catch a show at one of the theaters on Southport in Lakeview (Music Box, Mercury, I think there are others too)
-The Green Mill Jazz Bar (although I'm not sure if they let in minors)

Restaurants:
Purple Pig (downtown)
Ann Sather (Breakfast, Lakeview, on Belmont)
Kaiser Tiger (sausage and beer garden - West Loop)
Lou Malnatis -or- Giordano's (deep dish pizza, multiple places)
Superdawg (hot dog drive through in NW, if you have a car)
Portillos (hot dogs and more, river north)
Girl and the Goat (West Loop)
Au Cheval (burgers, West Loop)

I also highly recommend one of the Wrigley rooftops if you want to splurge, specifically 1038 Waveland. It was an incredible experience. All inclusive food and drink, bar style seats that were comfortable. It was the best.

Also if you're in the bleachers, remember some sunscreen.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Chicago is a great city with **** tons of food options and sporting options.
As most have said- stay downtown, Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel is close to everything.
Go for a dip in Lake Michigan and FREEZE YOUR *** OFF!!
For lunch - Al’s Italian Beef sandwiches- 17ing amazing. Portillo or Gene and Juds for hot dogs.
You have to go to Billy Goat Tavern and order a cheeseburger even if you’re not hungry!!!
Pizza - Lou Malnati’s.
Steak - I really liked Harry Caray’s and Gibson’s
Breakfast - Lou Mitchell’s

Wrigley area - ride the L train to the game and go to Murphy’s out beyond left field before, during or after the game.
17-ing great place !!!
Take in a day game - 17 a night game at Wrigley.

If the Cubs have an off day before or after the days your there - do the Wrigley tour.
Thank me later!!!!

For BBQ - yes bbq in Chicago - specifically ribs - Twin Anchors.
Damn I wish I were going to Chicago this summer.

Last edited:

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been looking online a lot but it’s always good to get recommendations from people who have been. Appreciate it!

bbqbully

Sep 14, 2008
I haven’t been to Wrigley since 1999 so I can’t give recommendations on lodging or food, but I can tell you it’s an experience you won’t forget. The atmosphere is unreal. We were there the year after the Sosa/McGuire HR race in the RF bleachers. Sosa threw a warmup ball into the stands and my son caught it! His most prized possession!

Jul 19, 2014
Portillo’s Italian beef sandwich is phenomenal. I’m headed up there in June also. I’ve been to several games. It’s great. In my experience, outfield seating is the most fun.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login