OT: Columbus hospital shooting

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Columbus has really become dangerous. I have a relative that works in the Columbus ER and she says its rare that a shooting or stabbing doesn't come in every night. They don't even bother reporting the average run of the mill shooting to the press anymore.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just another day. We all know why and where these things are happening, it's not just a Columbus, MS issue. It's not really all that dangerous to most people who at least attempt to stay out of trouble.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Columbus has really become dangerous. I have a relative that works in the Columbus ER and she says its rare that a shooting or stabbing doesn't come in every night. They don't even bother reporting the average run of the mill shooting to the press anymore.
How many hospitals in Mississippi are in a relatively ****** part of town? Got to be well over half of them? Somewhat surprising to me that having relatively well paying jobs concentrated like that doesn't do more for the areas around them.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
How many hospitals in Mississippi are in a relatively ****** part of town? Got to be well over half of them? Somewhat surprising to me that having relatively well paying jobs concentrated like that doesn't do more for the areas around them.
Most of the general population isn’t qualified, nor does it want to be qualified for the good paying jobs. I’d bet 40% of the labor force at Steel Dynamics comes from outside the GTR and those are six figure jobs.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I had to go to the Columbus hospital for something about a year ago. I didn't think it was in a bad part of town. But Google took me to MLK drive by mistake, THAT was a bad part of town.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I had to go to the Columbus hospital for something about a year ago. I didn't think it was in a bad part of town. But Google took me to MLK drive by mistake, THAT was a bad part of town.
I don't think it's that bad either, out by the Hospital area. Over the last two years, I've been either visiting at the hospital, or going to Columbus Ortho, at least a dozen times.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Somewhat related but has anyone else noticed that towns with large military bases look dirty and sketchy compared to comparable towns without a military presence?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Operative word in the headline: Near
It happened in the parking lot right outside the hospital. I know someone that is in that hospital right now. It happened right outside their window. They have posted pictures taken from their window of the police taped off area and police investigating.

Reactions: She Mate Me

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

The only place you have to watch your back near the Tupelo hospital is the Waffle House after midnight 🤣

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The Columbus hospital is not in a bad part of town. It's very close to maybe the nicest neighborhood in Columbus. Smaller towns have older houses pretty close to newer ones so bad and good can be pretty close together.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Somewhat related but has anyone else noticed that towns with large military bases look dirty and sketchy compared to comparable towns without a military presence?
I’d definitely agree that the areas of town where they’re located look crappy. Chain link crap everywhere and illegal activity right across the fence.

But they can still be located in nice enough towns like Biloxi, Pensacola, etc…. I’ve only been to Columbus a couple of times, but it seems nice enough, too.

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
I’d definitely agree that the areas of town where they’re located look crappy. Chain link crap everywhere and illegal activity right across the fence.

But they can still be located in nice enough towns like Biloxi, Pensacola, etc…. I’ve only been to Columbus a couple of times, but it seems nice enough, too.
Columbus is Greenville 20 years ago. It’s a dying town with no tax base and terrible public schools. If CAFB leaves the town will fall apart. The area around MUW is terrible. It’s a shame they’ve let that part of town become so bad.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
That is something that is truly sad. I don't know of a single MLK street, road, or boulevard that is in a "nice" part of a town.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Columbus is Greenville 20 years ago. It’s a dying town with no tax base and terrible public schools. If CAFB leaves the town will fall apart. The area around MUW is terrible. It’s a shame they’ve let that part of town become so bad.

It's not growing, but the Greenville comparison is not accurate. Has Greenville had a massive steel mill, engine plant, and tire plant locate in the area recently. Columbus was the big kid in the block in the Triangle for a long time, and now they benefit greatly from having MSU nearby. Being in the vicinity of a major university is a huge deal these days although I think that has reached its peak.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
"Try that in a small town." Hahaha.

Jason ain't never been to little Memphis

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
It's not growing, but the Greenville comparison is not accurate. Has Greenville had a massive steel mill, engine plant, and tire plant locate in the area recently. Columbus was the big kid in the block in the Triangle for a long time, and now they benefit greatly from having MSU nearby. Being in the vicinity of a major university is a huge deal these days although I think that has reached its peak.
No but Greenville has Uncle Ben’s, Deltapine and the US Gypsum Co

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
No but Greenville has Uncle Ben’s, Deltapine and the US Gypsum Co

My point is that there is still active economic development happening in the Golden Triangle. I believe those Greenville facilities have all been around for many decades.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
Not to me tuon
My point is that there is still active economic development happening in the Golden Triangle. I believe those Greenville facilities have all been around for many decades.
Not to mention the steel tubing plant, aluminum mill and biocarbon plant all locating on the SDI campus and bringing over a thousand good to great paying jobs with them. Not many places in the southeast where a person can earn a six figure income with a high school diploma and there are going to be four of those plants located inside of one square mile.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I still live in the Columbus City Limits. There are some very nice areas but in general there is a general population shift out into the County. The area where I grew up in the center part of town was great and safe when I was a kid. It’s pretty much the opposite now. Lots of factors but I blame horrible parenting for a great deal of our issues. These kids are a product of their environment and they are raising themselves on the street.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Will this be classified as a "mass shooting" and basically be thrown in the same category as school and workplace shootings (which it clearly is not) ?

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I still live in the Columbus City Limits. There are some very nice areas but in general there is a general population shift out into the County. The area where I grew up in the center part of town was great and safe when I was a kid. It’s pretty much the opposite now. Lots of factors but I blame horrible parenting for a great deal of our issues. These kids are a product of their environment and they are raising themselves on the street.
This generally describes Jackson, Meridian, and probably other towns in MS where those with economic choice (mostly white people in MS) move from the city to the county leaving a diminished and poorer city with a declining tax base. The only solution I can see is dissolving these cities into their counties but I don't see that happening in my lifetime, if ever. While we are at it, we ought to merge counties to form regional districts - but that is a whole other matter to discuss.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Will this be classified as a "mass shooting" and basically be thrown in the same category as school and workplace shootings (which it clearly is not) ?
1 person shot 4 people. If you want to subcategorize things so they somehow dont look as bad to you, or so you can make some sort of hollow argument, have at it. Die on that hill, I guess.

Anything can be a weapon, blah blah blah, but not everything is as easy to hurt large numbers from a distance in a short time.
You know what would have been more difficult?- the 1 person stabbing all 4 people in the other car.

Unpopular opinion here, I know. But it isnt wrong.

Reactions: dorndawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Just another day. We all know why and where these things are happening, it's not just a Columbus, MS issue. It's not really all that dangerous to most people who at least attempt to stay out of trouble.
Do we though?

- its because of a lack of respect for the fragility and value of life, which is taught thru childhood and continues thru adulthood.
- its because not enough people were taught to respect how guns should be used, yet they have easy access to guns.
- its because they have protection due to distance- not having to be close to the person you are trying to harm makes it easier to harm.
- its because enough powers within society care more about ensuring guns are easily available than care about reducing gun violence.

And its because of more reasons. But even the 4 listed above arent agreed on as being issues, so I dont think we all know why these things are happening.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Do we though?

- its because of a lack of respect for the fragility and value of life, which is taught thru childhood and continues thru adulthood.
- its because not enough people were taught to respect how guns should be used, yet they have easy access to guns.
- its because they have protection due to distance- not having to be close to the person you are trying to harm makes it easier to harm.
- its because enough powers within society care more about ensuring guns are easily available than care about reducing gun violence.

And its because of more reasons. But even the 4 listed above arent agreed on as being issues, so I dont think we all know why these things are happening.

I know you get a lot of ****. Often more than you deserve, IMO.

But I'm just reading through some threads and you keep popping in disagreeing with a variety of posters on a variety of subjects in a variety of threads. Every point you have some disagreement with does not need to be debated online to no conclusion.

I'm sure you disagree, but it's not an endearing quality to be in constant debate mode. I honestly don't know how you have the time or inclination to do it day after day.

And yes, I can be prickly and often voice disagreement with points I disagree with, but there should be a limit.

Anyway, sorry if you perceive this as an attack, but it's not the first time I've felt this way and in my mind it was time to say something.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

But I'm just reading through some threads and you keep popping in disagreeing with a variety of posters on a variety of subjects in a variety of threads. Every point you have some disagreement with does not need to be debated online to no conclusion.

I'm sure you disagree, but it's not an endearing quality to be in constant debate mode. I honestly don't know how you have the time or inclination to do it day after day.

And yes, I can be prickly and often voice disagreement with points I disagree with, but there should be a limit.

Anyway, sorry if you perceive this as an attack, but it's not the first time I've felt this way and in my mind it was time to say something.
You just perfectly described "trolling" on a message board.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Yes, but I don't see glfr as a typical antagonizing troll. I wouldn't bother with that kind of person (bot).

He has obviously put legit thought into a lot of his views and I have respect for that. I even agree with him more often than many here.

It's been said before by others, it's not always what he says, but how he says it. I guess I'm just pointing that out again in different words.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

People post their views and others comment in response.
I post my views and others comment in response.
Not sure how what I do is fundamentally different and therefore not acceptable.

I know I am not required to reply to every post I disagree with, and I don't.
I recognize you feel I post in response too frequently though and do not feel attacked.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Not the same. No Antifa riots happening in a small town in the Deep South. They wouldn't make it all the down my quiet neighborhood street.
Yeah. I attempted a joke.

I grew up in Columbus. A gang shootout behind rhe hospital or anywhere in that town is very saddening to me. While it is just a reflection of our society everywhere (Memphis) I would have never imagined that nice small town would experience these things.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I wouldn't call him a troll and longer. He's not nearly as persistent as some others but he is still reliable for a formal essay in support of his opinion. He seems to be not as busy making a rebuttal for every post.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login