OT - Cooking Chicken Breasts

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The old lady and I eat Costco chicken breasts several times a week for dinner (supper for those of you from the country). I season them and air fry (no breading as we like to stay lower carb). I've tried every seasoning and there's just not much difference in any.

Any special marinading/seasoning processes to really get the flavor throughout? Pan frying is the best way to cook, but Costco must get their chicken from Chernobyl Farms, because they are yuuge!

I grill or smoke them them on the weekends, but I'm looking for easy ways to cook during the week.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Give 'em a good brine for at least 4-6 hours. Sugar, salt, and then any other spices/herbs additives. That's the biggest difference in how I used to make chicken breasts vs. how I do it now.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I like to put them in a ziploc with whatever seasoning you like (Tony's, etc) for a few hours, then pat them dry and sear on both sides in a little olive oil or whatever in a cast iron. Then finish in a 400 oven, usually takes 12-15 mins.

I don't especially love Costco's chicken. The price isn't anything special (Kroger on sale is cheaper), it sometimes doesn't taste that great, and then when I get the packs that are like 6 individual packs, I swear I never cut it right and then get chicken juice leaking everywhere.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
In the Winter months, I often cook chicken thighs in an Instant Pot. Somewhat spiced up.
Eat some, freeze a few.
Otherwise, its slow cooked on the grill. Charcoal.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
For some reason, I've lost my taste for chicken unless its one of those rotisseries from a grocery store or when I smoke them with hickory chips. The key, like all meats is to not over cook. Chili's makes a good margarita chicken.

Reactions: willc1

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The old lady and I eat Costco chicken breasts several times a week for dinner (supper for those of you from the country). I season them and air fry (no breading as we like to stay lower carb). I've tried every seasoning and there's just not much difference in any.

Any special marinading/seasoning processes to really get the flavor throughout? Pan frying is the best way to cook, but Costco must get their chicken from Chernobyl Farms, because they are yuuge!

I grill or smoke them them on the weekends, but I'm looking for easy ways to cook during the week.

I've yet to find anything better on chicken than this stuff

1685121236726.png

And I certainly have no problem with those that want to brine or marinade chicken, but Cavender's can still work its magic even if it's rubbed on right before the chicken goes on the grill. The only catch is that if it's bone in chicken, you obviously have to make sure you get under the skin before cooking, but beyond that... I don't do anything special. Chicken quarters with this stuff, crisped skin, and then finished on low are amazing

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Sprinkle garlic powder and lemon pepper and then marinate in hoisin sauce and a touch of sesame oil. Grill or bake afterwards. I prefer gilled and you can spoon over the extra sauce while they cook.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008

Sous vide

Reactions: paindonthurt

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Marinate in lemon juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire, a 12 oz regular Coke, add in some char-broil seasoning or whatever kind you like and refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight even.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Marinate in lemon juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire, a 12 oz regular Coke, add in some char-broil seasoning or whatever kind you like and refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight even.
So, leftover OJ, plenty of Dales, and Big K work just the same?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Chicken breasts are just about tasteless. If you want taste go with thighs. Brining is about the only way to add flavor internally to chicken breasts. Liquid adds more flavor, ie Tobasco adds more flavor than Tony Chacheries, in a brine. My favorite breast recipe is as follows. Big skinless chicken breast, cut a slot about 3/4 through the breast down the center. Then cut a pocket on each side into the breast. Cut a block of cream cheese about 1/4 inch thick and stuff into the pockets. Add about a teaspoon of diced jalapeños to the pockets. Use toothpicks to hold the pocket closed. Season with your favorite seasoning, my favorites are a garlic butter seasoning or just regular butt rub. You can grill/smoke to 165 as is or for the unfearfull , wrap in bacon. I also think that cooking breast low and slow indirect heat allows more flavor than grilling hot and fast.

Reactions: thekimmer

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I assume you are doing this for health. So you're just trying to make them edible, I assume.

I would just cut them as thin as possible, maybe even beat them a little, season with Cavender's and grill them.

For me, eating a chicken breast is eating for function.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
My opinion, soy ruins most meat, but teriyaki on chicken thighs is ok. I use Shapley's seasoning and only hickory, Pecan, or apple wood for smoke. Sometimes I'll just BBQ dust them. Sometimes I just go with a little lemon/orange red pepper. I eat a **** ton of chicken (lost 65 LBs eating chicken every day). Fruit seasonings are really good on chicken.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020

I’ve had a hard time finding a much better or simpler way to cook chicken than this

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Butterfly them and reduce cook time to get more flavor.

Coat with olive oil and some of this:

I do that air fry or grill. When I grill, I sometimes do a last minute basting with Hoovers to add a little sweetness.

One of my favorites on grill is marinate chicken in a ziploc bag with italian dressing overnight. Grill it and don't add a thing to it. Pretty solid.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

I usually cut up a few Sam's chicken breast every week and cook them stove top for chicken tacos or chicken fajitas.
I've started eating thighs more because they just have been flavor and more tender. Those large breast tend to fry out to get them done unless you slice in half. I air fry the hell out of wings though. That's my favorite thing to air fry

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Air fryers are for pizza rolls. Meat goes on a grill or in a smoker. I can even accept a griddle some.
Don't pizza roll your meat.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
If you have an instant pot, this recipe is incredible for shredded chicken. You can eat it as is or put it on a salad or wrap.

If I’m grilling, I soak it in Italian dressing, lime juice and lemon pepper for a few hours. Always awesome…

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I do something like this and make tacos with it. Only I use the thigh, and you should too.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Air fryers are for pizza rolls. Meat goes on a grill or in a smoker. I can even accept a griddle some.
Don't pizza roll your meat.
My son was in the middle of a move and didn't have his grill available yet. He cubed up a 1 1/4 thick rib eye, seasoned, and cooked it in the air fryer. You couldn't tell it was cooked on a grill. It was fabulous.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Oh, if you're going to mention the old Lady and breasts in the same post, we're going to need pics!

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
My son was in the middle of a move and didn't have his grill available yet. He cubed up a 1 1/4 thick rib eye, seasoned, and cooked it in the air fryer. You couldn't tell it was cooked on a grill. It was fabulous.
Someone hasn't eaten a legit steak it seems...lol

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
My son-in-law works for Sanderson Farms and he is always bringing chicken home for us to put in the freezer. My wife is one of these “white chicken only” people and we have used everything you can think of to make these chicken breasts edible. Any combination of Cavender’s Greek Seasoning/Italian dressing works here. Several months ago the S-I-L brought home a 40 pound box of boneless-skinless chicken thighs. My wife was horrified at the “dark meat” thighs that he brought home. Well, we put some Cavender’s seasoning along with the Italian dressing marinade in the Ziplok bag for a couple of hours and put them on the grill. I finally coaxed my wife into trying them, and she couldn’t believe how good they were. Now, she isn’t even interested in the chicken breasts any longer. I am like her in that I don’t like the thighs, but these boneless/skinless thighs are definitely a game-changer for us. Grilled chicken salads are definitely better, chicken fajitas are better-everything chicken is better. If you css as n find them, you definitely need to try them

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If you can't taste the difference in seasonings on chicken breast, something is funky either with the chicken or with your taste buds.

A chicken breast with salt, olive oil, garlic powder, and dill should taste 100% different from a chicken breast with salt, cumin, olive oil, and chili powder.
Like totally different.

You don't need to marinate for it to taste different- those seasonings alone taste different enough for the difference to be obvious.

Marinating is best though, if you have an hour or three, of course marinate. No downside.
And if the chicken breast halves are huge, slice em so there are 2 or 3 slices that are of relatively equal thickness. They will cook more evenly and therefore taste better. No reason to dry out one side of a breast at 190deg just to get the thicker part to 165deg.
...or pound/roll/flatteb the thicker portion out so it's all relatively even thickness.

Hopefully you figure out why all seasoning tastes the same because you are missing out.
Chicken breast is an incredibly versatile meat that is also very healthy- It's neutral and let's the spices dictate which is great.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
:p Man we live off the air fryer!
And you have the nerve to come on this board to talk shìt about gas grills? That's kinda

Gay Pride Rainbow GIF by Phil Corbett

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's hard to get flavor on those big ole grocery store chicken breasts.

Brining in a basic salt sugar brine is important for both flavor and especially texture. It firms up the meat and you can go 24 hours no problem and it will work some magic.

After that, I think it's kinda important to get the chicken in smaller pieces, even if you have to cut through some bone to do it (not sure if you're buying boneless).

Then, I like to use an Asian Sweet Chili Sauce. It'll ruin your low carb efforts, but it pairs well with chicken breast and adds a lot of flavor.

There are plenty of recipes out there.

birdawg

Aug 13, 2009
This is how I do chicken breasts in air fryer. Coat with olive oil then rub the seasoning all over

• 1 tbsp olive oil or melted butter
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • Black pepper to taste

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006

I'm right there with you on eating chicken all the time (thanks to the wife's never-ending diet).

Get a wok and learn to stir-fry. Lots of different Asian flavors/add-ins you can use to make chicken different every time. The prep is the only pain (unless you buy the stir-fry kits). Whatever you make you can also change it up by changing the base; white rice, brown rice, spring mix, udon, ramen, etc....

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"Any special marinading/seasoning processes to really get the flavor throughout? Pan frying is the best way to cook, but Costco must get their chicken from Chernobyl Farms, because they are yuuge!"

Fillet them, put them in a zip-lock and marinade with olive oil for 30mins+, take out and season generously with Cavenders and McCormicks lemon and pepper (Hail Steak works well also) then grill or cook in a hot skillet. Don't over cook either way.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I've yet to find anything better on chicken than this stuff

View attachment 343984

And I certainly have no problem with those that want to brine or marinade chicken, but Cavender's can still work its magic even if it's rubbed on right before the chicken goes on the grill. The only catch is that if it's bone in chicken, you obviously have to make sure you get under the skin before cooking, but beyond that... I don't do anything special. Chicken quarters with this stuff, crisped skin, and then finished on low are amazing
I like Cavenders also. Be aware is does have MSG (monosodioum glutimate) in it if you are sensitive to that.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Chop em up, sauté in a skillet, with onion, and throw a jar of Tikka Masala sauce on them. Serve on a bed of brown rice. 20 minute supper.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Get a pellet grill. Set the temp to 350*. Cut the brest in half so they are thinner. Season with your favorite rub. I like Doe's seafood and poultry but Cavender's is good too. Grill 'em 12 minutes per side. Comes out 165* and juicy every time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login