OT: Cost of Propane and swapping over to electric

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The cost of propane seems to be skyrocketing faster than electricity. I'm due for a new HVAC system soon.

Would it make sense to swap over to all electric?

And no I'm not going to worry about Kim Jong-Un dropping an EMP on my power grid.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Heat pumps suck. I know propane is expensive right now but it heats your house up so much more quickly than electric.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I you and your family are used to gas heat you will hate an electric heat pump. It’s just a different kind of heat.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Go with the highest SEER variable speed or inverter you can afford and get good local service. The units cost a bit more, but I see electric rates only going up, especially with all the EV rhetoric. The grid will need some serious upgrades over the next 10 years which is not cheap. Those costs will trickle down to you and me.

I say keep the propane for cooktop and water heater maybe; certainly keep some gas logs for emergencies and ambiance. Diversify your energy options like your portfolio, especially since you already have the tank.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Why would you change? Gas heat is better & cheaper. And if the cost of gas is going up, the cost of electricity will be too. Not to mention the cost to rewire for electric. My rule of thumb is the time to choose between gas & electric is when the house is built. After that, you just replace like for like. I replaced my electric water heater with another electric even though I would choose gas if I were building.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login