OT coxa valga?

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
That’s a funny name not gonna lie.

Took the 6 year old boy to get X-rays done on his hips. Noticed something funny about the way he ran during all stars.

Turns out he has Coxa Valga, a deformity of the femur, in one and borderline same thing in the other. I am the least medically knowledgeable person anyone knows so I know nothing about this other than what I read. I’ve read a good bit on it but there isn’t much information on it that makes me feel anymore comfortable.

His pediatrician said we will have the orthopedic contact us soon.

So definitely polling here to see if anyone here knows or has had experience with the same thing.

ETA- most of you know I’m the full time parent and he’s my first, so bare with me if I’m being foolish.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
That’s a funny name not gonna lie.

Took the 6 year old boy to get X-rays done on his hips. Noticed something funny about the way he ran during all stars.

Turns out he has Coxa Valga, a deformity of the femur, in one and borderline same thing in the other. I am the least medically knowledgeable person anyone knows so I know nothing about this other than what I read. I’ve read a good bit on it but there isn’t much information on it that makes me feel anymore comfortable.

His pediatrician said we will have the orthopedic contact us soon.

So definitely polling here to see if anyone here knows or has had experience with the same thing.

ETA- most of you know I’m the full time parent and he’s my first, so bare with me if I’m being foolish.

Subtle I have insurance brag.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I feel sorry for ya if you don't have insurance. I have never heard of it but I'm sure they will get him fixed up

Jul 5, 2020
This is generally not terribly serious. At 6, it would be SOC to try to reorient the femur head with PT and other conservative measures. In more serious cases, an orthopod will tell you that he/she can likely shave the femur head down to get the degree of the hip socket closer to 130 degrees. But that would be unusual unless it is a very severe deformation which it doesn't sound like your boy has.

ETA that, although surgery is never favorable, this one is not very high risk comparative to many others. There's always risk of infection with any procedure, but the option itself has a high success rate. It's somewhat akin to shaving down the bones of the shoulder while you're having a rotator cuff repair.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login