OT- Crown Apple

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Crown Maple or Vanilla as an egg nog addition during Christmas is one thing, but outside of December I'm not one for the flavored versions. Not a fan of the apple in any circumstance so far.

(One exception: in the summer the honeysuckle Cathead vodka is nice on occasion with just soda, not sprite.)

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You can never go wrong with Makers
Herein lies true wisdom.
cheers alcohol GIF by Maker's Mark

whodatdawg12

Aug 26, 2012
Got a few bottles of crown apple as a Christmas gift a few years back. Put it in the freezer and pull it out and hype it up and make my friends take a swig of it. Reaction never gets old. Regrettably did polish one of the bottles off over cigars with a buddy.

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
You can never go wrong with Makers
Someone on here mentioned the wood finishing series last year and picked up a bottle to try. While I was there I picked up a bottle of the makers cask strength…. Hard to beat cask strength in a glass of crushed ice.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
I had some as part of a "specialty wedding cocktail" once and I couldn't finish the drink. It was horrible.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
At Christmas this year for dirty Santa someone wrapped a bottle of Rich and Rare Apple. The ultimate recipient cracked it open for us to try. I think I could duplicate it by dropping a handful of green apple Jolly Ranchers in a jar of gasoline.

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
I tried the apple(only because I heard on here that leach liked it). I like it better than most flavored whiskeys I’ve tried (although I generally don’t care as much for them).

don’t care to drink on it all night but one or two here and there aren’t bad.

where did the intel about coach come from? Any way to know if actually factual?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I tried the apple(only because I heard on here that leach liked it). I like it better than most flavored whiskeys I’ve tried (although I generally don’t care as much for them).

don’t care to drink on it all night but one or two here and there aren’t bad.

where did the intel about coach come from? Any way to know if actually factual?
I read it in a Leach article about his time at Captain Tony's in Key West that Apple Crown was his usual but then I read that the drink on his barstool as a memorial was something else. I get the feeling that Leach's liquor preference was probably similar to his coffee preferences. It was more about the effect than anything else.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I bought a bottle in honor of Mike Leach as it was supposed to be one of his favorites. It’s awful IMO.
A friend of mine from the Pine Belt gave me Apple CR mixed with Mountain Dew, and I was completely dubious of trying it.
It is now my summertime cocktail of choice for the past 7 years.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I make an apple chutney for pork chops sometimes. One ingredient is Calvados which is an apple liquor. You could probably use that Crown Apple instead to add some Bourbon flavor to the chutney.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
That's usually why it's around my house. Works good things with the mrs.

I've had it before when it's around Christmas time. It's not bad. But I'm a trace or makers guy usually. Or margarita on the rocks
I thought Maker's was his alcohol of choice so I bought a bottle in his honor...

Just kidding...I've always got a bottle on hand..
I enjoy the majority of the Maker's lines, but I am partial to 46 and Cask Strength neat or mixed.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I can't imagine. It sounds nasty, to me but people love it. My local liquor store has to have a sign up limiting people to one bottle of Crown Peach, but you can buy as many 1L Buffalo Trace and Early Times BIB as you want for less money right next to it.

Flavored whiskey is to whiskey what scooters are to motorcycles. They both will get you where you're going, but I wouldn't necessarily want to brag about how I got there.

Reactions: NTDawg

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I can't imagine. It sounds nasty, to me but people love it. My local liquor store has to have a sign up limiting people to one bottle of Crown Peach, but you can buy as many 1L Buffalo Trace and Early Times BIB as you want for less money right next to it.

Flavored whiskey is to whiskey what scooters are to motorcycles. They both will get you where you're going, but I wouldn't necessarily want to brag about how I got there.
Where I live it's one bottle of Hennessee, and it's kept behind the counter to deter theft.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Flavored Alcohol is like putting ketchup on a hot dog or A-1 on a Filet. Mixing with soft drinks is SOFT. A Small Splash of Tonic with Lime or Olive Juice is as far as I go with my straight vodka. My digestive system doesn't do well with brown water but I respect those who drink it because they like the taste as opposed to us vodka drinkers who drink for the NON-Taste. If something's good, you shouldn't hafta cover it up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login